I need a Studer repair man in the Los Angeles-South Orage County area

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I agree that what they charge is ridiculously low. One of these days I am going to offer to fly him to the east coast, put him up in a local hotel and ask him to go over several of my decks. It will be a good use of airline miles.

Maybe I should get a local group of reel-heads together and let him spend a week here.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree that what they charge is ridiculously low. One of these days I am going to offer to fly him to the east coast, put him up in a local hotel and ask him to go over several of my decks. It will be a good use of airline miles.

Maybe I should get a local group of reel-heads together and let him spend a week here.

not a bad idea however his list of inventory is huge for just about any tape deck and bringing my machine there got it fixed faster than I could have imagined

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
He has one of my BR-20s there now. I have been shipping him decks in my Pelican case.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Ki

Great to hear from you

I just got back from LA where I dropped my A810 off at Marc Bishoff's house. Indeed one of the caps on that board exploded. He replaced all 3 of those caps and hoped all was well but when he plugged it in the take up spool continued to run and the noise persisted which to George suggested it took out part of the board. He will be recapping the entire machine as well as trouble shooting the board. I am hoping that I can pick it up on Saturday as Marty arrives for the weekend only to be followed by Joe a day later.

FWIW I was impressed with Marc's diagnostic acumen as wells his work bench which was filled with scopes from floor to ceiling as well as 2 complete stacks of Revox Studer machines that he salvaged from CBS

Thanks to everyone for referring Marc
Good.
It seems like the sick machine is in good hands.
As mentioned earlier, ask Marc to replace the same Rifa .47uF cap in the Voltage Stabilizer (regulator) board assembly as well. It can blow up the same way.

PS: I didn't read the later post where you had declared happy ending already. I like happy endings.

Ki

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just got back with my A810. Works and sounds terrific. The other part that got taken out when the cap blew was a diode. Lucky me as Marc had only one of these otherwise I would have waited many weeks fir the part. He said I was lucky because when that diode blows more serious things can occur. All in all I lucked out.

Marc has ordered a complete set of new caps for the machine and I will be bringing it back to recap the entire machine. He also told me something that I did not know. My machine has the much sought after butterfly heads which he said I could easily sell for $1000. I told him I’m quite happy

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
[FONT=times\ new\ roman]Steve,

I'm ecstatic you've found someone with whom you're satisfied ;)
Qualified technicians, yet alone meticulous and fastidious technicians are scarce, indeed.

Best,

Sam
[/FONT]

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi Sam

Nice to see you in our little neck of the woods.

Not only satisfied , I was ecstatic. Fixed to my satisfaction in 24 hours

Marc is great and a nice guy too. He has worked on several of my decks.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
[FONT=times\ new\ roman]Hi Steve,

Thanks.:D

It's been awhile, hasn't it? I think the last time I saw you was when you and Bonzo came down south.
I hope we can get together, again, soon. :cool:

I just collected my other A-820 from Charlie and he has my Studer 962, currently.
There was an ace A-810 tech in Nashville (?), iirc, but I believe he no longer operates in the field.
If my friend cannot indulge my personal appeal for future A810 attention, I may need to look up Marc.

Twenty-four hours...congratulations!
[/FONT]

Probably the one you are talking about is Steve Smith. Former Service Engineer for Studer. I visited him once while working at Studer/Revox in Nashville. We developed a nice friendship. He then went to Harrison (audio consoles) and went back to Studer again before closing. Also a very nice guy, like my friend Marc. I just bought a PR 99 MK III from him...and a Integrated Revox Special Edition couple of years ago. He's slowing down and thinking in retiring,so, better hurry. All those piles of Studers from CBS are gone now.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Probably the one you are talking about is Steve Smith. Former Service Engineer for Studer. I visited him once while working at Studer/Revox in Nashville. We developed a nice friendship. He then went to Harrison (audio consoles) and went back to Studer again before closing. Also a very nice guy, like my friend Marc. I just bought a PR 99 MK III from him...and a Integrated Revox Special Edition couple of years ago. He's slowing down and thinking in retiring,so, better hurry. All those piles of Studers from CBS are gone now.

Do you have contact information for Steve Smith?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

[FONT=palatino\ linotype]
Yes, I believe it was he -- thanks, El Magnifico. :D
There was another tech for Nagra from nearby that I confuse with Steve Smith.
[/FONT]

[FONT=palatino\ linotype]
Yes, I believe it was he -- thanks, El Magnifico. :D
There was another tech for Nagra from nearby that I confuse with Steve Smith.
[/FONT]

Well. he's not answering his phone or emails. Yes, there was a Nagra man in TN. He was also a former Studer guy: Tom Knox.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing