I need a Studer repair man in the Los Angeles-South Orage County area

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sadly my A810 seemed to bite the bullet yesterday and I am looking for a Studer technician in my area.

After playing one of Ed Pong's amazing tapes I noticed that the A810 was making a noise at the take up spool. When the tape had run through and I took it off the spool I noticed that the spool was still turning in spite of pushing the stop button.. I also smelled something burning. Any help or ideas is much appreciated

Ki Choi where are you ?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Marc Bischoff is in LA and does excellent work on Studers and owns an A810 himself.

I sent you a PM with his email address. He is tinman on tapeheads.net.

Steve Williams

I just got off the phone with him

Phone was down yesterday because of the fires in the LAArea

I am taking my Studer up to LA tomorrow. Hoping it can be fixed on the spot as he thinks it might be a transistor but I am not counting on it

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Sadly my A810 seemed to bite the bullet yesterday and I am looking for a Studer technician in my area.

After playing one of Ed Pong's amazing tapes I noticed that the A810 was making a noise at the take up spool. When the tape had run through and I took it off the spool I noticed that the spool was still turning in spite of pushing the stop button.. I also smelled something burning. Any help or ideas is much appreciated

Ki Choi where are you ?

Steve

Sorry to hear about your A810. Recently, I had known several other folks' A810 having similar unnecessary excitement with their Spooling Motor Controller issues. It seems time must have come for these A810 to die all at the relatively same time.

Judging from your description, you need to replace three .47uF caps in the Spooling Motor Controller card that is mounted on the right side frame as you look from the back. Same cap is found in Voltage Stabilizer Assembly as well.

I will post some photo of the suspect cap.

Thanks,
Ki

Reactions: Atmasphere

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve

Sorry to hear about your A810. Recently, I had known several other folks' A810 having similar unnecessary excitement with their Spooling Motor Controller issues. It seems time must have come for these A810 to die all at the relatively same time.

Judging from your description, you need to replace three .47uF caps in the Spooling Motor Controller card that is mounted on the right side frame as you look from the back. Same cap is found in Voltage Stabilizer Assembly as well.

Thanks,
Ki

Are you referring to the (in)famous cracking capacitors used in Studer's and Revox's for motor suppression?

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 211

Steve Williams

Steve

Thanks,
Ki
Hi Ki

Great to hear from you

I just got back from LA where I dropped my A810 off at Marc Bishoff's house. Indeed one of the caps on that board exploded. He replaced all 3 of those caps and hoped all was well but when he plugged it in the take up spool continued to run and the noise persisted which to George suggested it took out part of the board. He will be recapping the entire machine as well as trouble shooting the board. I am hoping that I can pick it up on Saturday as Marty arrives for the weekend only to be followed by Joe a day later.

FWIW I was impressed with Marc's diagnostic acumen as wells his work bench which was filled with scopes from floor to ceiling as well as 2 complete stacks of Revox Studer machines that he salvaged from CBS

Thanks to everyone for referring Marc

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Great, Steve!

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I’m embarrassed by what he charged and got me operational for my guests

I never pay my 2 tech guys what they expect- always more. Sometimes much more. Both are well known. They don't charge enough considering the work involved and I really appreciate it. They've never let me down. Actually, over the past 15 years or so, they've become good friends.

Steve Williams

I took what he charged me and multiplied it by 2 and paid him in cash

His work bench was simply amazing as was his parts which ran from floor to ceiling. People like him are a dying breed. I asked him if he was teaching any younger people his skills and he said no one is interested.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing