Magico M6 on TAS

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Peter, I don't think Alon is fond of D'Appolito (or pseudo) configurations so I'd be surprised to see if he goes in that direction. As far as subs, that's a difficult hurdle for any designer to integrate seamlessly in any scenario. I have only heard the M6 at AXPONA last year with monster Magico subs and it was some of the worst sound at the show. In their defense, they had a space on the mezzanine floor of the huge conference center wing of the hotel which was sort of like trying to do sound reproduction in Fenway Park with sound leaking out of every other hot dog vendor in the stadium. I've heard the M Pros sound very good and the S5MKII sound terrific as well so I'd love to hear a properly set-up M6.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
What if anything could compete with or beat the m6?
There are other SOTA speakers that sound different but also fantastic that are in the same league. IME once I sifted through many speakers and chose the Giya G2 S2 I realized starting at about that $ level it's more about personal preference than anything. That and room considerations and of course, budget.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, why do you think that would be better?

I am not suggesting that the vertically symmetrical design is objectively or universally better for all listeners. I just personally like it better subjectively.

I assume (without knowing) that it provides a purer "point source" radiation pattern. (Can one of our speaker designers who knows please comment on this?)

Four of my five favorite big box speakers (Evolution Acoustics MM7, Gryphon Kodo, Rockport Arrakis, Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 11) employ this design (and the fifth, YG Sonja XV, is M-T-M) so there must be something in the sound resulting from this design which makes me like the design.

Plus with this design I don't have to worry that I might be hearing low frequencies coming from the bottom of the cabinet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Plus with this design I don't have to worry that I might be hearing low frequencies coming from the bottom of the cabinet.

This is an interesting comment. To me, successful speaker designs, those from which music sounds natural, are those that are coherent and have drivers well integrated, so that the drivers, and cabinets disappear in the soundfield. The less aware one is of the speakers, and the locations of specific drivers, the more successful the design, and the set up.

On well recorded material played back on a good system, I hear instruments, and the frequencies they generate, to be fairly well localized. In a jazz ensemble, I hear trumpets higher in space than stand up bass. I hear cymbals slightly above the kick drum. With string quartets, I hear a violin in the arms of a standing musician a bit higher up than the cello in the hands of the sitting cellist. And yet, the high and low notes from pianos seem at the same level spatially.

IMO, if you hear low frequencies coming from the bottom of the speaker cabinet, there are some problems with the speaker, the set up in the room, or both. Driver integration and coherency, along with the speaker's ability to disappear, is, IMO, one of the strengths of Magico speakers, even the largest ones with multiple drivers, and large, multiple woofers. This was certainly the case with the Q7 and S7 during my demos. I have not heard the M6.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing