Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Magico M6 on TAS

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    For a tiny industry based on the passion and scientific artistry of engineers dedicated to creating lifelike sound at the flip of a switch, and based on our love of the music we cherish, it is shocking how rotten to the core are the business practices and ethics of some of the industry's participants.

In the securities industry such practices would get such people deregistered, banned and fined.
    As you are the site admin I find your comments unsettling.
    Going on a Magico thread, spewing gossip and loathing is distasteful.
    If you have something specific to say against some “industry's participants” you should be more factual and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Ron,

Unless you know a lot more than what is being debated in this forum, I can't see the reason for such extreme comment.
    Yes, Micro, I am afraid there is more going on but that is not something I want to discuss out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by cannata View Post
    If you have something specific to say against some “industry's participants” you should be more factual and say it.
    Ron’s comment is a general remark, Cannata, and he is not (particularly) referring to Magico in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    For a tiny industry based on the passion and scientific artistry of engineers dedicated to creating lifelike sound at the flip of a switch, and based on our love of the music we cherish, it is shocking how rotten to the core are the business practices and ethics of some of the industry's participants.

In most other industries such practices would get such people deregistered, banned and fined.
    Ron, When I think of practices in other industries that would get people deregistered, banned and fined, I think of illegal activity or breaches of professional ethics. You must know something that I don't about the industry. What TAS is doing seems to be fairly open, well understood, legal, and for the most part accepted by the participants and by their audience. If people don't like the practices, or JV's reviewing style, they should not buy the magazine. Is Magico, or any of the other manufacturers who advertise in TAS and get reviews doing anything illegal? Is TAS doing anything illegal? It seems that the market has created this condition and the market will decide if such publications or these manufacturers will go out of business.

I really do not think this is so different from what happens in many other industries. Fund managers are wined and dined by brokers all the time. You should see the real estate brokers in my town. Their behavior is incredible and I avoid them as much as I can. The Magico/TAS arrangement may be distasteful to some, but they can choose to avoid it. That is fine. Don't read JV.

Why don't those "in the know" blow this wide open and tell us what is really going on? I figured out a long time ago that few people pay retail prices for high end audio, especially those who know somebody. It seems to me that the business can be pretty brutal. Participants do what they must to survive. Some of it may be rotten and unethical. If it is illegal, that is an entirely different matter. There are also some excellent, highly ethical members of the industry.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cannata View Post

I was making only a general point. I did not intend to suggest anything about Magico specifically. (Thank you, Audiocrack.) I don't blame Alon one bit for the business practices he finds in his industry.

I do consider Jonathan to be one of the "some of the industry's participants" to which I referred. I gladly will delete my post, and the posts supportive of my post, if that will clear the air.

You and Peter A are both correct that I should have stated that the securities industry is the industry I had in mind for comparison. I have corrected my post and limited the comparison to the securities industry, which may or may not be a valid comparison to the high-end audio industry.

Again, if my original statement is overbroad I gladly will retract it.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Ron, When I think of practices in other industries that would get people deregistered, banned and fined, I think of illegal activity or breaches of professional ethics. You must know something that I don't about the industry. What TAS is doing seems to be fairly open, well understood, legal, and for the most part accepted by the participants and by their audience. If people don't like the practices, or JV's reviewing style, they should not buy the magazine. Is Magico, or any of the other manufacturers who advertise in TAS and get reviews doing anything illegal? Is TAS doing anything illegal? It seems that the market has created this condition and the market will decide if such publications or these manufacturers will go out of business.

I really do not think this is so different from what happens in many other industries. Fund managers are wined and dined by brokers all the time. You should see the real estate brokers in my town. Their behavior is incredible and I avoid them as much as I can. The Magico/TAS arrangement may be distasteful to some, but they can choose to avoid it. That is fine. Don't read JV.

Why don't those "in the know" blow this wide open and tell us what is really going on? I figured out a long time ago that few people pay retail prices for high end audio, especially those who know somebody. It seems to me that the business can be pretty brutal. Participants do what they must to survive. Some of it may be rotten and unethical. If it is illegal, that is an entirely different matter. There are also some excellent, highly ethical members of the industry.
    Peter, I agree on all points. But I never suggested that these practices in the high-end audio industry were illegal. I suggested, by correcting my original post by limiting the comparison to the securities industry, that these practices, especially when undisclosed, would be illegal in the securities industry.

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

Wise words Peter.
    At last settled around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Ron

U shouldn't be "correcting" ur original posts...u did say it after all. U should make an additional post......pretty lame

I think we all have the ability to edit our own posts, don't we?

I wrote twice in subsequent posts that I corrected my original post. I did not hide it or pretend I never wrote it originally. I corrected an earlier, overbroad statement.

What is wrong with that? Maybe I am not understanding you . . .

I apologize to all for my post which was not closely related to the opening post and the purpose of this thread.

Please let's get back to the purpose of this thread which is the celebration of a fantastic review of the new Magico M6!

If I can extrapolate from what I heard from the M3 and from the S5 Mk. II the M6 must sound amazing! I agree with MikeL that Magico is meandering its way to a sound which is much closer to what people who found Magico's early products to be on the analytical side find appealing.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast