Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: studer A80 half inch

  1. #1

    studer A80 half inch

    hey thread world... i have a studer a80 vu half inch 15 / 30 ips for which i am trying to locate a capstan motor to get her up and running again, any advice on where i could find one would be much appreciated.. i have found one on ebay which is for a RC machine, are the capstan motors the same ? cheers robin

  2. #2
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,435
    Quote Originally Posted by tpot studio View Post
    hey thread world... i have a studer a80 vu half inch 15 / 30 ips for which i am trying to locate a capstan motor to get her up and running again, any advice on where i could find one would be much appreciated.. i have found one on ebay which is for a RC machine, are the capstan motors the same ? cheers robin
    Can we know where are you located? Most Studer A80 motors bought from eBay will need refurbishing. Do you still have the old motor and capstan?
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

  3. #3
    Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,509
    Robin, contact Fred Thal of ATAE in California.

    Fred is one of the leading A80 technicians in the world and he maintains a substantial parts inventory.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

    turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

  4. #4
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Robin, contact Fred Thal of ATAE in California.

    Fred is one of the leading A80 technicians in the world and he maintains a substantial parts inventory.
    As far as I know Fred Thal does not supply parts to hobbyists or amateurs.

    Anyway people should be warned that service from official Studer agents, such as AudioHouse, is expensive, e.g. refurbishing an A80 capstan motor will cost around usd 1000. Surely we get a motor as new, but unless all your machine is refurbished to such high standards it does not seem to me to be the best option.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Can we know where are you located? Most Studer A80 motors bought from eBay will need refurbishing. Do you still have the old motor and capstan?
    I am located in Scotland near Perth the studio is called Tpot studio, i do have the original capstan and the machine is in great working order, i use it all of the time for mastering on , tape echo and tape loops...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Robin, contact Fred Thal of ATAE in California.

    Fred is one of the leading A80 technicians in the world and he maintains a substantial parts inventory.
    thanks ron

  7. #7
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,435
    Quote Originally Posted by tpot studio View Post
    I am located in Scotland near Perth the studio is called Tpot studio, i do have the original capstan and the machine is in great working order, i use it all of the time for mastering on , tape echo and tape loops...
    I have bought A80 motors from two european Ebay sellers, one in the UK - emas54a700, another in France - crossroadsexpress. As far as I can see in my spares there are small differences between A80 capstan motors of different age, but they look compatible - perhaps you can migrate the half inch capstan to a quarter inch motor. Prices vary a lot.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Similar Threads

  1. Changing between Studer A820 quarter and half-inch headblocks
    By Fred Thal in forum Reel To Reel Tape Deck and Content Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM
  2. 1/2 inch Studer bliss
    By Mike Lavigne in forum Reel To Reel Tape Deck and Content Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-08-2015, 06:34 PM
  3. Mark Levinson ML-5A Half-Inch Stereo Master Recorder
    By rockitman in forum Reel To Reel Tape Deck and Content Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 03:29 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 06:37 AM
  5. Thinner MacBook Pro Models in 13-Inch and 15-Inch Sizes Coming in April?
    By Steve Williams in forum Computer Forum (PC & Mac)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •