SS ARC for the next summer ;-)

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi all,
I am an owner of a Ref 3 and VS115 that wonderfully drive my Sophias III, and I'm just looking for an ARC SS amp that can replace the VS115 during the summer due to the high temperature.
So.. it is not a replacement but, I know myself, if the result is less than the actual standard it is hard for me to listen, and the risk is to put back the SS amplifier in the box.
Are the a D400 MkII or a 100.2 (but I suspect they heat a lot in any case) , or even a latest D model like DS225 a good choice ?
Other opinions ? I prefer to remain in ARC and not look for other brands.
Thanks in advance !
Max

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I had an Audio Research class T digital amplifier before. In the long term, I found it wanting in many ways. For me, Audio Research's strengths are in tube designs. If I may suggest, why not install an aircon?

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Thank you for your comment, in a very old house installing an aircon could be a problem bigger than simply buying an amp to be used for few months during the year.

Back to the topic, it seems I should look at some recent alternatives, like Belcanto or other amps. I also read some bad comments when intefacing DS225 to Wilsons.

Is there someone who had some positive feedback when interfacing an SS amp -not ARC- to the Ref 3 (and in my case Wilson loudspeakers) ?
Any suggestion ?

Max

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing