Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trans Fi Salvation rim drive tt and Terminator air-bearing linear tracking arm

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

Trans Fi Salvation rim drive tt and Terminator air-bearing linear tracking arm

Finally after 22 long months, I get my analog rig reinstalled. If thereís any interest in it, Iím very happy to chat further.
    To kick off, hereís the link to the designerís web page:

www.trans-fi.com
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

Marc, these pages are full of your previous impressions about this combination. I'm curious now to read if those impressions have changed after both your exposure to more live music and to better digital and the effects of isolation devices. Is the rig all set up and running? Is it on a Stacore platform? There were a lot of modifications as I recall, so I suspect it will sound different and that your new room acoustics should be a clearer window into its capabilities.

Will the Trans Fi be worthy or will it produce a move toward DD or BD?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Peter, I really wonít know until the 20th, when it gets reinstalled and I receive my early Xmas present LOL.
    Iím more sanguine about my overly spiky anti belt drive comments in the past.
    Iím definitely more aware that there are as many if not more engineering compromises going to idler or DD.
    And as such am more open to belt drive, executed excellently like SME and a handful of others, as still the way to go.
    However, there are interesting examples in all drive trains, and my tt is one such, direct rim drive, an offshoot of idler drive.
    My mods are: magnetic bearing to platter, magnetic isolating feet, upgraded overspecced psus to tt speed control and Straingauge energiser, thus allowing fitting of Sablon Elite pwr cords and SR fuses (previously cheapo captive pwr cords), bespoke Al arm mount from NZ, Klei Silver Harmony RCA plugs to one-piece tonearm wire, Symposium Svelte pad under motor pod, chip upgrade to Straingauge energiser, and Stacore Advanced platform. These changes have pretty much doubled my cash outlay on original purchase price.
    I do believe Iíll get some good results here, and will only consider trading up to something significantly better engineered like an SME 30/2.

Thanks for describing that extensive list again. I'm sure the 20th will not come soon enough.

One thing now comes to mind. I do not recall reading in any of your friend Bonzo's travel logs that he has encountered one of the big SME tables in someone's system. I'm sure he has heard Mik's SMEs but I don't remember him writing anything about them. Does the wonderfully descriptive Bonzo have an opinion about the SME 30/2 or 30/12? In your country they should offer an even better value than they do in the USA.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Heís pretty close to Audiophile Bill, whoís ecstatic over his new 30/2. Iíve got a standing invite to hear what all the fuss LOL is about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    He’s pretty close to Audiophile Bill, who’s ecstatic over his new 30/2. I’ve got a standing invite to hear what all the fuss LOL is about.
    Actually, recently I have just been getting texts of how awesome the Lampi is sounding. His IO is temporarily out for repairs.

When I buy the schopper it will go straight to his and dctom's. They can then post how it compares to 3012 and xl4.

Gian's friend is preferring the lenco to the 3012 and has asked Jean Nantais for another upgrade.

I know where I stand. I am going schopper followed by long term to used kodo beat or sp10r.

Peter, I have not heard SME properly. I heard the 3012 once and was impressed. I am open to Bill's TT changing my above statement, but recent belt drive sessions, not with the SME, have all sounded too laid back and with a lack of drive and energy for me. Also belts don't seem to hold things together on tuttis as well as digital, while Schopper and DDs do. And no, I am not including the techdas here way to expensive to be considered.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Ked, individual data points mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. So you know a few guys whoíve gone belt to idler or DD. So what. So have I, belt to rim drive. It matters not one jot. What matters is that thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands in the 60s and 70s moved from non belt drive to belt drive, driven (pun intended) by the belt drive kings of the day, in the UK those being Linn LP12, Roksan Xerxes and Pink Triangle. Iím with you, at this point belt drive at my level of expenditure makes no sense when I can get a wholly overperforming wrt price tt like my rim drive Salvation. Saying that this listener and that listener dropped their TW Raven or SME for a Schopper or PTP is so beneath the radar itís close to impossible to detect.
    And this thought is coming from the owner of a tt and arm that has fellow owners that have dumped SME, Graham, Kuzma, Air Tangent etc for it. Iím a fan and even I know Iím in a minority of a minority.

Peter, in answer to your q, my digital has been totally immersive in the last few months as layer after layer of system-wide improvements have opened the sound up, starting with the startling effect of stellar room acoustics, then my balanced power/dedicated lines going in, and most recently the combination of upgrades to Sablon Elites pwr cords, SR Black fuses, a couple of Stacores, and most recently the rebirth of Entreq here, maxxed further by placing of grnd box on a Stacore.
    We are getting about one live unamplified gig a week, either classical (usually string quartet or piano recital, occasional orchestral) or jazz trio.
    First, I wholly recognise my mids/mid bass centric sound of deep tone density is highly recognisable from live. Iím never going to get the blazing dynamics and wall of bass of live as I would from well controlled Apogee ribbons, or the easy intimacy and scalability of great horns, or the soundstaging and imaging of great big signature Magicos, Rockports or Wilsons. But Iím getting my own slice of reality with my Zus/SETs.
    And my digital has amazing analog-like tonal differentiation and natural warmth that Iíve rarely heard from other digital (SGM w T&A Dac8 being the other combo that really talks to me) and closely resembles the best analog in many ways. But I also know from ongoing live exposure that I only hear the texture, heft and microdetail abundantly evident in live music from great analog, and Iím confident Iíll start getting some of that back as the analog rig comes online.
    Last edited by spiritofmusic; 12-02-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Countdown to tt reinstall. Itíll be nearly two years since I last listened to my analog regularly, although Iíve had a donor tt for a little while. I have a little anxiety ahead of the big day on Thursday.

Hope Marc itís not anticlimax
    So many things to optimised on analog rig

Been running my Bakoon phono with and without step ups

I directly compare my belt drive which is a monster with the Monaco which looks like the school geek in comparison

Listened for 2 days of belt drive thought so musical, quiet and prat could it be better

Then I put the first record in the Monaco...and my jaw dropped

Silent backgrounds, more bass, more of everything, denser midrange, more dynamic and picodetails

Same phono, step ups, carts and arms....
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast