R2R DACs 2017

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
These type were rare in 2010, now they're surging.

Current production, player or processor, made in U.S. or U.S. presence.

Multiple price points if apply:

Up to 3k: Border Patrol, Monarchy, Denafrips, Audio-gd, MHDT, Holo, Soeskris, Metrum, Schiit

5-15K: Audio Note, MSB, Metrum, Computer Audio Design, Aqua, LessLoss, Totaldac, Lampizator

15K+: CH Precision, Aries Cerat, Light Harmonic, Audio Note, MSB, Totaldac, Lampizator

**Special mention to MSB, Monarchy and Audio Note, who never gave up R2R. Even after the takeover of delta-sigma.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Yep, quite true.

I have a friend who recently bought a DIY R2R DAC that I believe also comes built called Soekris and it's absolutely outstanding. I think it's about $1500 fully assembled an includes volume and a headphone amp. The digital sonics / $ are ramping like nobody's business!

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I believe my Pacific Microsonics Model Two is R2R Ladder. It is more than 15 years old. Does up to 192/24 PCM with dual wire. Of course it is an A to D and D to A.

Larry

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
In 2010, it was just MSB and LessLoss -but now, R2R DACs are surging.
Made in U.S. or have presence here. (Euro-brands like Rockna not incl.)
Up to 3k: Soeskris, Metrum, Schiit
5-15K: MSB, Aqua, LessLoss, Totaldac, Lampizator

Two made-in-China brands are becoming popular in Asia and Europe and I am sure that there are owners in N America too :
1. Denafrips : Terminator, Venus, Pontus & Ares. (MSRP USD680-4480)
2. Audio-gd : R2R 7 HE; R2R 7; R2R 1; R2R 2; R2R 11. (MSRP USD350-3480)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My trusty Resolution Audio Cantata MC 2.0 from 2011 is also R2R with its four 1704 units

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have had almost only R2R dacs in my audio career. Monarchy Audio M22B had BB PCM63s, Monarchy Audio M24 also had BB PCM63s, Kinergetics Research KCD-55 Ultra had two UltraAnalog D20400 modules, PS Audio Ultralink II also has the UA D20400, Aries Cerat Kassandra has 8 AD1865 chips per channel (16 dacs per channel in total). The only detour was for a while I had the Audio Aero Prima DAC that used AD1855 (I think) Delta/sigma DAC...I ended up finding it inferior to the Monarchy M24.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I have had almost only R2R dacs in my audio career. Monarchy Audio M22B had BB PCM63s, Monarchy Audio M24 also had BB PCM63s, Kinergetics Research KCD-55 Ultra had two UltraAnalog D20400 modules, PS Audio Ultralink II also has the UA D20400, Aries Cerat Kassandra has 8 AD1865 chips per channel (16 dacs per channel in total). The only detour was for a while I had the Audio Aero Prima DAC that used AD1855 (I think) Delta/sigma DAC...I ended up finding it inferior to the Monarchy M24.
I still keep Audio Aero La Fontaine as second PCM DAC and Sacd player with Burr Brown 1792 chipset and upsampling STARS module , micro triodes in output stage.
It is a keeper for me, with R2R Lampi as a first PCM/DSD DAC.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Is MSB purely R2R? Their website say hybrid. It implies that it can convert DSD natively.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
XXX believes that YYY technology used in current DAC chips does not sound as natural as ZZZ technology.

I have read it tens of time, only XXX, YYY and ZZZ vary. Fortunately we can pick what our preferred DAC technology and smile, some one who feels like us has probably written the proper sentence. I have listened to several technologies sounding excellent, IMHO it is the implementation and details that make the difference. And curiously, most people ignore the technical aspects of implementation and details, they just know the soundbytes.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
XXX believes that YYY technology used in current DAC chips does not sound as natural as ZZZ technology.

I have read it tens of time, only XXX, YYY and ZZZ vary. Fortunately we can pick what our preferred DAC technology and smile, some one who feels like us has probably written the proper sentence. I have listened to several technologies sounding excellent, IMHO it is the implementation and details that make the difference. And curiously, most people ignore the technical aspects of implementation and details, they just know the soundbytes.

Yep.

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
I added Mola-Mola and Border Patrol. This list was tough -more and more are coming and half of them haven't been reviewed. At least thru U.S. based publishers.

The count is now 18 (different) brands -2 have diff. price-points.

Last edited:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I added Mola-Mola. This list was tough -more and more are coming and half of them haven't been reviewed. At least thru U.S. based publishers.

The count is now 17 (different) brands -2 have diff. price-points.
With all due respect I'd be curious to know where you have seen the Mola Mola DAC described as being an R2R design? TIA for any clarification.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
With all due respect I'd be curious to know where you have seen the Mola Mola DAC described as being an R2R design?

According to their website, the Mola-Mola DAC features high order noise-shaping. Single-bit sigma-delta modulation DACs also feature high order noise-shaping. The actual quantizer Mola-Mola implements here is NOT an R2R, but a pulse width modulation (PWM) type. PWM is a kind of single-bit quantizer, but operates differently from the much more common pulse density modulation (PDM) type single-bit audio quantizers, such as is utilized in DSD.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
According to their website, the Mola-Mola DAC features high order noise-shaping. Single-bit sigma-delta modulation DACs also feature high order noise-shaping. The actual quantizer Mola-Mola implements here is NOT an R2R, but a pulse width modulation (PWM) type. PWM is a kind of single-bit quantizer, but operates differently from the much more common pulse density modulation (PDM) type single-bit audio quantizers, such as is utilized in DSD.
Thanks very much for your excellent explanation Ken!

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
They say "no off-the-shelf chips". Then, 2 boards for conversion w/ discrete 32-stage FIR DAC.

Last edited:

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
They say "no off-the-shelf chips". Then, 2 boards for conversion w/ discrete 32-stage FIR DAC.

They very likely utilize FPGA chips to implement proprietary processing algorithms, and the 1-bit PWM quantizer - as opposed to commercial DAC chips.

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
When I hear (2) boards for conversion, I think discrete. But you could be right -I'll delete them for now.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Good stuff. It would be good to have a comprehensive list as the OP had started, maybe keeping it with DACs <=5 years old?. Can we add to this list as we discover more?

Up to 3k: Border Patrol, Monarchy, Denafrips, Audio-gd, MHDT, Holo, Soeskris, Metrum, Schiit, Audio-gd, Border Patrol

5-15K: Audio Note, MSB, Aqua, LessLoss, Totaldac, Lampizator, Denafrips, Audio-gd, Resolution Audio, PSAudio, CAD,

15K+: CH Precision, Aries Cerat, Audio Note, MSB, Totaldac, Lampizator, Audio Aero,

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Good stuff. It would be good to have a comprehensive list as the OP had started, maybe keeping it with DACs <=5 years old?. Can we add to this list as we discover more?

Up to 3k: Border Patrol, Monarchy, Denafrips, Audio-gd, MHDT, Holo, Soeskris, Metrum, Schiit, Audio-gd, Border Patrol

5-15K: Audio Note, MSB, Aqua, LessLoss, Totaldac, Lampizator, Denafrips, Audio-gd, Resolution Audio, PSAudio, CAD,

15K+: CH Precision, Aries Cerat, Audio Note, MSB, Totaldac, Lampizator, Audio Aero,
Border Patrol & Audio-gd both appear twice in the first list; and Metrum also has DACs in the 5-15K range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing