Grand Re-Opening Party @ Alma Audio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For those of us that have never met any of these fine gentlemen, who are we looking at?

2nd from left is Dan D'Agostino...that one i recognize.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks, Dave!

Yeah, Dan loves his vinyl! Impeccable music taste too, he likes some gritty ol' 70s jazz like CTI and stuff :)

Audio Research is coming up with some very exciting products, that, I hope, will expand their reach even further. Their latest products are home-runs, and after meeting the crew in Plymouth, I'm really excited for the upcoming stuff!

Ha, hopefully you had the opportunity to sit down and listen to some stuff on the YGs. Danny was playing some killer vinyl, he brought a Nina Simone on Philips that was off the charts, really good.

Alex, I did indeed have a chance to take the hot seat and have a good listen ( although I did feel a little cramped in this new tiny listening room of yours....:p:D ) As I said before, the new YG's are pretty special. What was the Nina Simone LP that we were listening to? It sure sounded excellent to my ears.

I was also surprised that the inexpensive Technics TT was able to not be embarrassed in the set up that you had. It was certainly playing above its pay grade. I couldn't see what cartridge you had mounted, but it was certainly resolving enough. Perhaps a MM of some sort??

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
For those of us that have never met any of these fine gentlemen, who are we looking at?

From L-R, we have Aldo Filipelli (Audio Research), Dan D'Agostino, Danny Kaey (Sonicflare/Positive Feedback), me, Fabio, and Kerry St. James (YG Acoustics).

Dan was pretty happy, and he showed us something he'll announce in Munich... And we got dibs on the first Stateside showing :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex, I did indeed have a chance to take the hot seat and have a good listen ( although I did feel a little cramped in this new tiny listening room of yours....:p:D ) As I said before, the new YG's are pretty special. What was the Nina Simone LP that we were listening to? It sure sounded excellent to my ears.

I was also surprised that the inexpensive Technics TT was able to not be embarrassed in the set up that you had. It was certainly playing above its pay grade. I couldn't see what cartridge you had mounted, but it was certainly resolving enough. Perhaps a MM of some sort??

Dave,

The Nina Simone was this one:

3081641.jpg

The Technics is the limited edition 1200-GAE, and the cartridge was an A95, more expensive than the TT itself :) But as you saw/heard, it didn't embarass itself.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
From L-R, we have Aldo Filipelli (Audio Research), Dan D'Agostino, Danny Kaey (Sonicflare/Positive Feedback), me, Fabio, and Kerry St. James (YG Acoustics).

Dan was pretty happy, and he showed us something he'll announce in Munich... And we got dibs on the first Stateside showing :)

Thank you.
Guess at some point I will have to make a Surf trip to So Cal and come see you guys, Steve, Jeffery_T and I really want to hear Phillips Kit at some point.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Dave,

The Nina Simone was this one:

View attachment 37637

The Technics is the limited edition 1200-GAE, and the cartridge was an A95, more expensive than the TT itself :) But as you saw/heard, it didn't embarass itself.

Thanks, Alex.
An A95 on a Technics 1200--- interesting combo.

BTW, do you remember what else was playing when I first arrived..that LP was pretty special as well.
I think maybe the Nina Simone played after...not sure??

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Also, I had a very nice conversation with the gentleman from Audio Research and was impressed to hear of their future plans and products. Very interesting and informative.

The Audio Research guy must have been an imposter—I've never been able to get anyone from ARC to mention anything about future products. They have always remained very tight lipped on such matters.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Alex.
An A95 on a Technics 1200--- interesting combo.

BTW, do you remember what else was playing when I first arrived..that LP was pretty special as well.
I think maybe the Nina Simone played after...not sure??

Dave,

It could've been that modern classical recordings that Stereophile put out, from one of their writers, Sasha Matson. That was fairly impressive, when I briefly heard it.

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Audio Research guy must have been an imposter—I've never been able to get anyone from ARC to mention anything about future products. They have always remained very tight lipped on such matters.

Bob,

Aldo is new at Audio Research, that explains it :)
But as Dave put it, his enthusiasm is refreshing.

cheers,
alex

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations on your location Alex. Wish you great success.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thank you :)

We've now given the Sonja 2.2 a break, and brought out the Audiopax Maggiore M100 to play with the Wilson Alexia Series 2, all tubes now. 100W goes a long way on the Wilsons!

IMG_0224.jpg
fullsizeoutput_dd96.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing