Recommend me a SS pre.....

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
What was the preamplifier used with the Hercules II?

The preamp was the Altair II. I also compared it with the AR Ref 6 in the same setup as this
http://rhapsody.nl/21-22-okt-magico-m3-show/ (2016)
a few days later, only difference with Soulution 760Dac and Pass XS phono.
After all different compares i took the Alieno amp and tested it for a few weeks in my own room.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The preamp was the Altair II. I also compared it with the AR Ref 6 in the same setup as this
http://rhapsody.nl/21-22-okt-magico-m3-show/ (2016)
a few days later, only difference with Soulution 760Dac and Pass XS phono.
After all different compares i took the Alieno amp and tested it for a few weeks in my own room.

I surely believe you. Our distributor carried a demo of Metronome Kalista /XLF /Altair II /Hercules II that became a reference for many people about the capabilities of a top stereo system - it is mainly why I praise the Constellation top. But it is really expensive.

BTW, I found a full review of the Alieno with price details https://admin.abc.sm/upload/4952/pagine-da-fds-249-alieno.pdf, but still have a doubt - is it a dual mono amplifier in a single chassis? At less it looks it has a double KT150 based power supply for the 300B's. It looks to be a very interesting product. What is the connection between Alieno and S.I.Audio http://www.siaudio.it?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Several years ago, 2 friends and I went to hear Rockport speakers with Hegel and Constellation gear. The Constellation amp did not sound right on the speakers while the Hegel was wonderful.

I have to say that the Constellation preamp on the Hegel H30 was a glorious combination. The Hegel P30 on either amp was not good to our ears.

Just my 2 cents. So a trial is necessary whatever you are looking for in your system.

Haven't heard the Constellation gear in the same system as Hegel so can't comment on that. It is generally a whole other price level however. What we find with the P30 in all systems is startling tranparency, smooth and extended highs (Hegel does high frequencies as well as any SS IMO), and zero loss of energy -- this I'll describe as nothing in the way of the music, nothing slowing it down -- something I'm very sensitive to.

Not surprised to hear that about the H30 btw -- it's a terrific amp.

As for the poster who found the Hegel integrated/DAC sounded great and punched above its weight, we found the same thing in our comparisons which is why we picked up the line. And the new models, the H190 and H90 are clear steps up from their predecessors.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I surely believe you. Our distributor carried a demo of Metronome Kalista /XLF /Altair II /Hercules II that became a reference for many people about the capabilities of a top stereo system - it is mainly why I praise the Constellation top. But it is really expensive.
http://www.siaudio.it?
That combo for sure is very very good. I haven't heard it with the XLF but have heard it with TAD Reference One and with the Magico S7 and later with M3. I prefered that Constellation combo above Pass XS and Soulution. Only (for me) the Naim statement was better from the amps i have heard. But than came the Alieno :)
(it was not better than the Naim btw). All IMHO offcourse.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

BTW, I found a full review of the Alieno with price details https://adle Kmin.abc.sm/upload/4952/pagine-da-fds-249-alieno.pdf, but still have a doubt - is it a dual mono amplifier in a single chassis? At less it looks it has a doubT150 based power supply for the 300B's. It looks to be a very interesting product. What is the connection between Alieno and S.I.Audio http://www.siaudio.it?

Yes as far as i understand it's a dual mono amp. The big lowest part is a solidstate(only) powersupply with 3 different sections. One for left amp and one for right amp and the 3rd part is for control, protection control, 3 min automatic pre-heating before amp goes on etc. There are 3 umbilical cables between PS (under part) and Amp (upper part).
The upper part is Left and Right amp, tube only (no hybrid).

Alieno is built by S.I.Audio. Alieno is distributed by Acustica Applicata . http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/
I don't know if there's an importer in Portugal? But you can contact Acustica Applicata, very friendly people/audiophiles and they speak good english.

When you want i can scan the manual/specs when i am back at my office tomorrow.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
You can contact Fabio Liberatore,partner in Acustica Applicata,that lives 25 minutes from my home
He sell also all tape machine and you can contact him in acustica applicata or also in other his site
www.therecorderman.com

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
You can contact Fabio Liberatore,partner in Acustica Applicata,that lives 25 minutes from my home
He sell also all tape machine and you can contact him in acustica applicata or also in other his site
www.therecorderman.com

You are right Gian, contact Fabio the recorderman, very friendly man.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes as far as i understand it's a dual mono amp. The big lowest part is a solidstate(only) powersupply with 3 different sections. One for left amp and one for right amp and the 3rd part is for control, protection control, 3 min automatic pre-heating before amp goes on etc. There are 3 umbilical cables between PS (under part) and Amp (upper part).
The upper part is Left and Right amp, tube only (no hybrid).

Alieno is built by S.I.Audio. Alieno is distributed by Acustica Applicata . http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/
I don't know if there's an importer in Portugal? But you can contact Acustica Applicata, very friendly people/audiophiles and they speak good english.

When you want i can scan the manual/specs when i am back at my office tomorrow.

Thanks for the details. Acoustica Applicata refers in their site what they call Certified Listening rooms "Sala Certificata da Acustica Applicata". Do you know about any technical details on this certification? BTW, I think that only in Italy we would be able to find such a delicious control room - the Sala Certificata da Acustica Applicata of Fone, the recoding label http://fone.it/, near Pisa.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 310

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks for the details. Acoustica Applicata refers in their site what they call Certified Listening rooms "Sala Certificata da Acustica Applicata". Do you know about any technical details on this certification? BTW, I think that only in Italy we would be able to find such a delicious control room - the Sala Certificata da Acustica Applicata of Fone, the recoding label http://fone.it/, near Pisa.

No i don't. I know besides developing, producing, selling Acustica Applicata products they also do complete rooms including measuring, making a plan and installing everything. Maybe after the completely finished install they give the certification..?
Wow nice room.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Bellissimo! Fabio loves his C37's

Attachments

• IMG_1432.jpg
    IMG_1432.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 428

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
How did I miss that post?

Since I joined the R2R bandwagon (I have a fully overhauled Studer A80 RC MKII), I have been on the hunt for quality master tapes of classical music recordings. I have a keen interest in chamber music, concertos and ancient music with a lesser focus on symphonic and opera works..

One particular Italian record label caught my attention. Fonè Records offers a wide variety of jazz and classical music recordings. Mr. Ricci, the owner and founder of Fonè has recorded more than 600 works since the early 80ies. All recordings are directly performed in both analog and digital domains (tapes and DSD). A large portion of the catalogue is available on Qobuz, the French streaming platform. It allows me to listen to the recordings and choose the tapes I want to acquire. I have about 60 individual tapes from Fonè.

Fonè’s catalogue comprises CDs, SACDs, high resolution files (DSD and PCM), LPs and tapes. All LPs are limited to 496 copies as just one stamper is produced.

The quality of the recordings is quite striking. Mr. Ricci has explained me that he is using a limited number of vintage Neumann microphones (no more than six microphones) and he does not add any processing gimmick leading to a very natural and rich sound.

For the recording sessions, Mr. Ricci mainly uses several Ampex ATR 102 tape recorders. He usually records on half-inch tapes at a speed of 30 IPS. The transfer from the original master is done through a Nagra IV S. Mr. Ricci also owns several Studer C37 including one deck which has been impressively modified to accommodate one inch tapes.

All tapes are made to order by Mr. Ricci himself as he refuses to delegate this work to his associates.

I had the privilege to visit Mr. Ricci’s private audio room in Tuscany where I listened to the original master tapes and DSD files on a top-notch setup including, among others, ATR 102 tape decks, dCS DACs, humongous Audio Note power amps, a Be Yamamura dual mono preamp, a Cello Palette and double stacked Tannoy Westminster loudspeakers.

The soundstage was just fabulous. The dynamics associated to the wealth of musical information immersed me in a musical experience that was rather unique. Mr. Ricci also told me a lot of anecdotes associated to each recording that he was playing.

For those of you who do not know Fonè Records and the associated master tapes offering, I would encourage you to discover this beautiful audiophile record label.

L1030721_zps8fa1wu2n.jpg

L1030719_zps43q3vil0.jpg

L1030715_zpsnroj3i55.jpg

PS. The wording and the pictures have been authorized by Mr. Ricci

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
How did I miss that post?

Since I joined the R2R bandwagon (I have a fully overhauled Studer A80 RC MKII), I have been on the hunt for quality master tapes of classical music recordings. I have a keen interest in chamber music, concertos and ancient music with a lesser focus on symphonic and opera works..

One particular Italian record label caught my attention. Fonè Records offers a wide variety of jazz and classical music recordings. Mr. Ricci, the owner and founder of Fonè has recorded more than 600 works since the early 80ies. All recordings are directly performed in both analog and digital domains (tapes and DSD). A large portion of the catalogue is available on Qobuz, the French streaming platform. It allows me to listen to the recordings and choose the tapes I want to acquire. I have about 60 individual tapes from Fonè.

Fonè’s catalogue comprises CDs, SACDs, high resolution files (DSD and PCM), LPs and tapes. All LPs are limited to 496 copies as just one stamper is produced.

The quality of the recordings is quite striking. Mr. Ricci has explained me that he is using a limited number of vintage Neumann microphones (no more than six microphones) and he does not add any processing gimmick leading to a very natural and rich sound.

For the recording sessions, Mr. Ricci mainly uses several Ampex ATR 102 tape recorders. He usually records on half-inch tapes at a speed of 30 IPS. The transfer from the original master is done through a Nagra IV S. Mr. Ricci also owns several Studer C37 including one deck which has been impressively modified to accommodate one inch tapes.

All tapes are made to order by Mr. Ricci himself as he refuses to delegate this work to his associates.

I had the privilege to visit Mr. Ricci’s private audio room in Tuscany where I listened to the original master tapes and DSD files on a top-notch setup including, among others, ATR 102 tape decks, dCS DACs, humongous Audio Note power amps, a Be Yamamura dual mono preamp, a Cello Palette and double stacked Tannoy Westminster loudspeakers.

The soundstage was just fabulous. The dynamics associated to the wealth of musical information immersed me in a musical experience that was rather unique. Mr. Ricci also told me a lot of anecdotes associated to each recording that he was playing.

For those of you who do not know Fonè Records and the associated master tapes offering, I would encourage you to discover this beautiful audiophile record label.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Lovely! Fone are one of the best recordings I have, truly exceptional all around

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Wow i would love to hear that system , if i m ever the area i ll contact fone .
Great system beautifull R2R s .

Regarding SS pre s i Always liked the ML 32 , they still go around 8 -10 K around here , never heard the dartzeel yet unfortunately.
If you want the bottom end solid state slam from a tube amp convergent is a very good pre.

PS i read the topicstarter mentioned the pre as being the last thing to add to the system , i consider it be the most important part of a good system after the room in which everything is playing off course

Last edited:

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing