Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a SS pre.....

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 853guy View Post
    The first one is what the US distro of Berning uses and recommends with the Berning.

That is also Garykoh's favorite.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    Steve, I'm sure what you meant to say was 'I've not heard a great sounding solid state preamp....yet'....right?
    Right. I guess I need to design one....

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Luxman C-900u ?
    Joe

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
    I am using the GG into the Constellation Virgo II into a Berning ZOTL40 with great results. (...)
    I hosted the Virgo III in my system and can easily second your recommendation - surely a reference SS preamplifier.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , the Forsell Air Force One, the ARC Phono 2SE and the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT + ARC REF250, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage feet ...

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    There are no great SS preamps IMO. Get good tubes if you can afford them, class-A operation if possible.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio
    ..and there you have it
    Rega P3-24/Custom Plinth/Audiomods Classic arm/Clearaudio Maestro Ebony MM... Lumin S1 music server/DAC... McIntosh C500P Controller/Preamp... McIntosh MC601 monoblocks... Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversaries with Critical Mass System Rize footers... Velodyne Optimum 12 Subwoofers (2)...Cerious Graphene Extreme XLRs... Verbatim biwires... Lessloss PCs...Nordost QB8+QX4...Acoustimac Corner Bass Traps...

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    The first one is what the US distro of Berning uses and recommends with the Berning.

That is also Garykoh's favorite.
    If we are talking about this kind of money then the VRE-1C would be the pick. They offer a silver wired version for big bucks.

The Trinity pre amp will be a good match with the Quad Z. Maintaining the same purity and speed .
    "It is music coming from another world, it is coming from eternity." ... HVK

Thanks for the ideas guys - I'll report back.

Also have a Nagra Jazz on demo at the moment.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] rblnr's Avatar
    I’m a dealer so take this as you will, but the Hegel P30 competes with any SS preamp I’ve heard.
    -- Bob

Industry participation disclosure: dealer for Paradigm, Anthem, NAD, Scaena, The Clue loudspeaker, AMR/iFi, Hegel, Bluesound, PS Audio, Artnovion acoustic treatment www.outreachav.com

Quote Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
    I’m a dealer so take this as you will, but the Hegel P30 competes with any SS preamp I’ve heard.
    Heihei, the Hegel is one that I also thought you might want to try. I was mighty impressed with their DAC/Pre in a shootout that we just hosted at our factory. We had the TotalDAC and the Lampizator on hand so it wasn’t going up against light weights.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast