Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a SS pre.....

Recommend me a SS pre.....

A pre-amp is the last piece of the jigsaw for my new system (Lampi GG -> ?? -> Berning Quadrature Z -> Wilson Benesch Resolution).

I've listened to a couple of passive TVCs (MFA, Bespoke) and like their simplicity and transparency.
    I've listened to a couple of valve designs (ARC Ref 10, Thoress) and like their sound-staging, timbre, and flow.
    To complete the picture before a final decision, it would be good to compare one or two SS pre's......what do people suggest?

I have had the Bespoke here with Quadratures; it was not a good match and I suspect the same is true of other TVCs and possibly transformer coupled active designs. Am evaluating Blue58's Java LDR preamp later this week whilst he is on holiday and that could prove to be an interesting combination. I would also recommend you consider having your GG modded to incorporate the inbuilt attenuator as this operates in the analogue domain rather than reducing digital resolution.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Pass ...........
    Cheers - Dave

Dartzeel
    DarTZeel, Avantgarde, Air Tight , Pass Labs, AMG, Miyajima

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    I had my darTZeel pre together with the Berning 845/211 amp for 2 days a few years ago and liked how that worked. I would think the Wilson Benesch would be complimentary to the dart pre's open, fast, natural balance.

and I had the Lampi GG and my darTZeel preamp for a year and loved that combo.

so another vote for darTZeel.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    I have had the Bespoke here with Quadratures; it was not a good match and I suspect the same is true of other TVCs and possibly transformer coupled active designs.
    that's interesting - do you think its a input sensitivity issue? what problem are you having

Rouge Audio ......
    Cheers - Dave

Addicted to Best!
    Audio Consulting ~$16k. 3 inputs.

https://positive-feedback.com/review...oroidal-phono/

Esoteric C-02, C-02X and Grandioso C1 are not as often referenced as they should be in the world of great high-end preamps. My current for the last couple of years is the C-02 and it is amazing to me in how non-SS it sounds and how realistic the music coming from my system is after I picked up this fine pre-amp.
    TAD R1 MkII, w/ULTRA5s, Esoteric P02, D02, C02, A02, Cybershaft Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz, IsoTek EVO3 TITAN & SIGMAS, EVO3 OPTIMUM Umbilical, 10 Ground Rods, CADWELD, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8, Granite Audio Ground Zero, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold, Statement Gold & Statement Silver PCs, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES, SIGMA CLOCK-50, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables & MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    A pre-amp is the last piece of the jigsaw for my new system (Lampi GG -> ?? -> Berning Quadrature Z -> Wilson Benesch Resolution).

I've listened to a couple of passive TVCs (MFA, Bespoke) and like their simplicity and transparency.
    I've listened to a couple of valve designs (ARC Ref 10, Thoress) and like their sound-staging, timbre, and flow.
    To complete the picture before a final decision, it would be good to compare one or two SS pre's......what do people suggest?
    I am using the GG into the Constellation Virgo II into a Berning ZOTL40 with great results.
    I have the built-in attenuators in the GG but it sounds better using the Virgo preamp.
    Btw, the Virgo has worked perfectly with every amplifier that I have paired it with. Quite a feat.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast