TAD ME1 amplifier

Amused

Nov 29, 2017
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have the TAD Micro Evolution 1 speakers with the matching stands, the smallest speaker in the TAD lineup. I fell in love with this little speaker at the Hi End show in Munich this year and had to get it :)

At this point I am driving the speakers with a Simaudio Moon i-7 RS, an integrated amp I bought for my previous Dynaudio speakers. While being a very good amp (and a great match for Dynaudio), it somehow fails to connect me to the music the way I want to, so I am considering replacing it with something else. As my DAC (dCS Paganini) can act as a preamp too, I am also considering getting a stereo power amp and driving it directly from the Paganini.

TAD's own electronics are too expensive for me, so they are out of the question.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Amused

Nov 29, 2017
Well, I am looking to get an amp in a price range of up to 10,000€.

Some of the options are:

1. Burmester 036 power amp
2. Burmester 956 mk2 power amp
3. Mark Levinson 532h power amp
4. Mark Levinson 585 integrated
5. Perhaps some McIntosh and Jeff Rowland amps (not sure how they match with TAD)
6. Maybe Karan acoustics

Amused

Nov 29, 2017
Tried Kubala Sosna Expression cables and they proved to be a better match for my ME1 in my setup, compared to Transparent Audio Ultra MM2. Kubala is warmer with better articulated bass/midbass and it managed to tame the berrilium tweeters and remove that tiny bit of harshness. I am thinking of getting the higher in line Emotion balanced interconnect and speaker cables.

Anyone else using Kubala with their TADs?

bengal_finch

May 10, 2015
Gryphon

I am a big fan of Gryphon electronics. i have their Pantheon, driving by MBL ref line amplifications. TAD is a nostalgic brand from me based on my childhood memories. Recently i am waiting for my TAD D1000mk2, as a SACD player in my rig.

i am wondering if you could think Gryphon Diablo 120 for your TAD. Recently Diablo 120 playing insanely good with PMC IBSE.

One pair of TAD ME1 is also heading towards our country along with my cd player. so obviously i can tell what it do with Gryphon. My country has fair amount of Gryphon amplifications around. All are super duper happy with Gryphon. If i had not MBL i would have certainly go for gryphon Pandora with Antelion EVO mono. :)

what the color of your tad speakers? front end, and cabling?

would be glad if you share.

Amused

Nov 29, 2017
@bengal_finch, thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately there are no Gryphon dealers in my country, so I can’t make that test. But I heard the same Diablo 120 with a pair of Focal floorstanders (can’t recall which model) at an audio show, and it sounded very good, with great timing, dynamics and slam.

My ME1s are all black (I believe that’s the only color option for Europe). The cabling is Transparent Audio, but I am thinking of switching to Kubala Sosna all around.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi,

I don't have much first hand experience with the TADs, but I can attest that the Kubala-Sosna line in general is really good, and the Emotion in particular is very useful in providing an extra layer of warmth, without affecting extension or frequency response. If you can, try some Emotion power cords as well, as they are most helpful!

cheers,
Alex

standingwave

Feb 25, 2016
The best non TAD option I have heard for the ME1's is the Analog Domain M75D Mk2, it's a match made in heaven!

Anatta

Apr 10, 2014
Accuphase P-4200 or A-47; Accuphase amps also have adjustable gain which is a useful feature if you plan to use your dCS DAC for volume control.

Mr TAD

Aug 6, 2017
Sweden
Kubala is warmer with better articulated bass/midbass and it managed to tame the berrilium tweeters and remove that tiny bit of harshness. I am thinking of getting the higher in line Emotion balanced interconnect and speaker cables.

Hi

I own TAD CE-1 speakers and power them with an ATC P1 amp - dual-mono discrete Class A/B - and the combo sounds great. I use Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun speaker cables, and Supra Sword interconnects.

Regarding the tiny harshness you're hearing, it's most likely because the speakers haven't been properly burned-in. With my TAD speakers, it took close to 1500h to fully even out the tiny bit of mid-range harshness. Now they sound nice and smooth and the mid-range clarity is mind-bogging.

So, give them time or a lot of time playing while you're at work, and you will progressively hear the difference in sound quality, both in the low-end and the mid-range.

Cheers
Fred

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Take a look at the Luxman 509x Integrated. MRSP looks right, at least in the US. High value. Favorable review in Stereophile and very positive comments in several audiophile forums.

Low325

May 2, 2021
Mine is paired with a Diablo 120 as mentioned above. My ME-1s have awoken!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing