Reference 250 SE monoblocks on loan for audition!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I am transitioning my room from multi channel back to 2 channel only. The 120" screen was removed and I am in the process of adding Vicoustics panels to the now bare wall. I removed the 5 Theta Prometheus monoblocks from my system and am now trying out the ARC Ref 250 SE in their place. Totally different presentation of the soundstaging. More to follow up with after a few days of becoming more familiar with them in my room.

Attachments

• OW2R1878.JPG
    OW2R1878.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 313

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good for you on the concentration back to two-channel!

This is very interesting about the ARC Ref 250SE! Please post your findings!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Lookin' good :) Congrats!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex- have you heard the GS150 vs the Ref250s? I read somewhere that Dave Gordon actually prefers the GS.

Ref 250SEs only at the factory. They didn't have GS there to compare, unfortunately.
I can totally see Dave (and others) preferring the GS150. This is one amp that I'm sure will become one of those legendary ARC designs.

cheers,
alex

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
No great surprise considering your incombent pre amplification Sharp......Synergy Synergy Synergy.

Perhaps consider asking your dealer if you could demo a set of TA Reference level IC's.

Should you wish to take your Ref10 up a notch seek out a pair of dealer tested NOS General Electric 6550A 's, circa 1970's, in place of the factory Sovtek power regulators, same goes for the 250's, tho somewhat less of a notable effect than with your 10.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I decided instead to stay with solid state. The Ref 250SE monoblocks made lovely music in my room. The cost of re tubing them was a major factor on not keeping them. There is indeed great synergy between the Ref 10 and the Ref 250. The bass they produce for a tube amp is outrageous. Not only true powerful bass, but bass with tonal character. The midrange is so sweet and musical especially with male and female vocals. Brass and woodwinds take on a whole new level sounding like real instruments. The surprise was that the high frequencies on old bad recordings were never really hard or harsh like as it had been portrayed before on occasion with my Theta Prometheus monoblocks.

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
I decided instead to stay with solid state. The Ref 250SE monoblocks made lovely music in my room. The cost of re tubing them was a major factor on not keeping them. There is indeed great synergy between the Ref 10 and the Ref 250. The bass they produce for a tube amp is outrageous. Not only true powerful bass, but bass with tonal character. The midrange is so sweet and musical especially with male and female vocals. Brass and woodwinds take on a whole new level sounding like real instruments. The surprise was that the high frequencies on old bad recordings were never really hard or harsh like as it had been portrayed before on occasion with my Theta Prometheus monoblocks.
Vern, interesting conclusion based on your description of what you heard with the Ref 250SE’s in your system. I get the cost of the tubes as a factor for choosing solid state but it also sounds like the sweetness of tubes was too much of a good thing. As an owner of the Ref 250SE’s matched with the Ref 6 Preamp for the last year and now upgraded to the Ref 10 Preamp, there is a magic or synergy with Audio Research gear that is so palatable I spend hours listening to music consistently whispering to myself “wow this is good”. Is the sound accurate, no, but the warmth (literally) and sweetness of the ARC gear is So musical I am willing to pay for the recurring cost to maintain the enjoyment I get every day listening to my system. The Ref 250SE’s are awesome amplifiers and bring a higher level of enjoyment than the GS150’s they replaced. Your description of the Ref 250SE’s is spot on. Looks like you ended up with the D’Agostino Progression Monoblocks as your solid state amps. Nice amps but a different sound compared to ARC. I narrowed down my amp purchase this year to the 250SE’s vs the Progressions and well.....Enjoy

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Vern, as you went with the progression monos, did you by chance compare the Dag Momentums to the Progressions (with Ref10 pre) before making your choice? I’ve not seen a lot of chatter comparing the two?

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Vern, as you went with the progression monos, did you by chance compare the Dag Momentums to the Progressions (with Ref10 pre) before making your choice? I’ve not seen a lot of chatter comparing the two?

Hi Bob, I will "borrow" the Momentums when the dealer can be without them for several days. I live close to the store so obtaining the equipment is too easy! I am trying to time it so I can justy swap out the Momentum and install the Progression. I don't expect them to be a "poor man's" substitute. That has been stated already by others that have heard them. The 250 SE is a wonderful amplifier, I can see why it is so well received especially paired with other ARC preamps.

Attachments

• OW2R1888.JPG
    OW2R1888.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Hi Bob!

As Vern said, he'll get around to comparing the two himself, and we also compared them. It's really remarkable how Dan has made two different amps that sound different, yet possess the same overall character.

The differences were less pronounced on Wilsons, since they're more efficient, but on the YGs, the extra headroom afforded by the Progression was very much welcome, in a large room! That extra couple hundred W really does make a difference in sharp transient attacks...

I have a client who auditioned the Momentum, and thought it was pretty much like a beefy tube amp (and he knows, because that's precisely what he has!). To my ears, that's the extra level of refinement the Momentum has, that renders the midrange just a bit closer to real, with the typical tube-like bloom.

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing