VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
fascinating to read...thanks Taiko. In the crudest of all comparisons...i have found all-metal mass damping NOT to work for me at all...but i DO like dense metals (used purely as weights) on top of HRS Nimbus Couplers or Artesania damper plates. So it is intriguing that you have discovered your formula of aluminum/viscoelastic/panzerholz vs pure aluminum. There may well be 0 correlation to my own personal observations with just 'whatever materials i had at my disposal'...but I did find upper mids/treble in piano to be where i had the most problems with 'just metal', even well regarded isolation products made entirely of metal.

In our experience metals in simple shapes have to be damped to minimise oscillatory behaviour, ringing. Transmissibility in metals is very high and damping very low, so it tends to ring like a bell. Brass and copper have roughly twice the damping factor of steel which has roughly twice the damping factor of aluminium. We prefer to use copper, damped with panzerholz where possible but both have serious drawbacks, cost, weight, machining and finishing difficulty. For the Tana top platter for example we cannot use copper because of the extreme tolerance required, we use a special grade of aluminium with very tight tolerances because there can be no pockets of air between the sandwich layers, these air pockets can cause oscillations which can cause errors in the Table Stable feedback loop. It's very hard to get the required tolerance in a machined copper plate. Panzerholz is very nice as its stiff, has a very high damping factor and very low transmissibility, but it's also slightly compliant, we can get it to be completely flat by applying a large pressure force over an extended period of time.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
This is very interesting Edward, so if this is the case what we’re hearing could be the effects of this electromagnetic field on the cartridge and/or nearby wires and electronics.

david
This is interesting indeed.....
When I first placed my Victor TT-101 in granite plinth with three outboard bronze armpods on my Herzan TS-140........I had all the stainless steel spikes resting directly on the aluminium Herzan top-plate
P1090296.jpg

Upon switching on the power....an RFI/EMI hum was emitted from the speakers.
After much anguish and the help of my Russian electrician.....we placed plastic poker chips under all 12 steel spikes
P1090316.jpg

And voila......total silence :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Which measurement would you like to see?

Mostly transient and pulse measurements. Something that could explain your improvements - I am almost sure they will not show in this type of graphs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In our experience metals in simple shapes have to be damped to minimise oscillatory behaviour, ringing. Transmissibility in metals is very high and damping very low, so it tends to ring like a bell. Brass and copper have roughly twice the damping factor of steel which has roughly twice the damping factor of aluminium. (...)

There is a lot more than damping when analyzing the vibrational behavior of a defined body - mass and shape can not be ignored, as they define the boundaries.

Damping analysis usually considers material damping and structural damping - it seems to me that in this type of application structural damping is dominant. Although I have no direct experience in mechanical analysis it seems to me that the problem is much more complex than it seems - at less I have seen people spending long times in Comsol Multiphysics to simulate such structures.

Just my .02 about platforms ...

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
There is a lot more than damping when analyzing the vibrational behavior of a defined body - mass and shape can not be ignored, as they define the boundaries.

Ofcourse! I was specifically replying to the “just metal” quote in the post you quoted.

Damping analysis usually considers material damping and structural damping - it seems to me that in this type of application structural damping is dominant.

They are related but structural should definately be dominant in magnitude.

it seems to me that the problem is much more complex than it seems
Just my .02 about platforms ...

Some of your hypotheses in this and other related threads may not be that far-fetched imho.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
back to the 'promised' impressions of the dart pre on the digital side (earlier I focused on the vinyl impressions) with the Taiko Tana TS-150 underneath, and the stock TS-150 now under the SGM server. how does the Select II equation differ with those active devices switched?

it is interesting and has taken me a few days to digest. there are trade offs, but the net is a gain. it's missing a bit of the density of the Taiko Tana under the SGM.....but only a bit. but everywhere else it's a slight gain. higher transparency, more focus and more lively. the bass has more slam and authority. more flow and forward lean to the music. the music is more compelling and profound. there is this tension and projection of the music.....more 3D and reach-out-and-touch holographic. the imaging has moved forward beyond the speakers toward the listener. these are individually quite small things that add up to greater immersion.

the digital is just astonishing right now. i'm lost into it really.

and the vinyl had a nice lift (as I previously commented) from the move of the Taiko Tana version of the TS-150 to the dart pre (considering the internal phono's). I've not done any tape since the move, but i'm sure that will be some better too similarly to the digital (without any trade-offs as i'm taking nothing away there).

the next question will be when I upgrade the stock TS-150 (now under the SGM) to the Taiko Tana level; will it end up under the SGM then, or.......the dac box of the MSB? (the Taiko Tana under the dart pre is never moving away from it). from feedback from Ed and Emile of Taiko/SGM, it has the greatest effect under a dac. so I figure that is where it will be. of course; the SGM is also slated for an upgrade to it's circuits too in the near future, as is the MSB with it's Ethernet renderer. so nothing is standing still.

Last edited:

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Nice job! How do you like the herzan underneath your tt?

I like it a lot.
With the separated arm-pods, not only is the turntable and plinth subjected to structure-borne and air-borne vibrations affecting the shelf upon which they are mounted.
And with both subwoofers sitting directly under the wall-mounted shelf.....the amount of low-frequency air-borne vibrations entering the shelf is significant.
And that can be seen from the digital displays on the Herzan LCD....:mad:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interference of active platform SMPS electronics under my various sensitive components psus was another main reason I’ve decided to stick w passive platforms solutions.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Interference of active platform SMPS electronics under my various sensitive components psus was another main reason I’ve decided to stick w passive platforms solutions.

I think that's what the Taiko Tana top plates solve from my limited understanding of their systems....:confused:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe so, but alas too pricey for me in wanting 8 platforms in total.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Marc, were you able to identify that as such during your trials? I only became aware of it as a potential issue by reading this thread and the results of the testing with regard to high frequencies and interference.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, no, this was purely a theoretical disadvantage for me, with my tube gear and associated psus being prone to hum.
Since there is somewhat of a consensus that passive pneumatics are better suited to springy suspended wooden floors, and potential of hum issues with active, my choice was an easy one in the end, sealed by the advantages heard in SQ.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe so, but alas too pricey for me in wanting 8 platforms in total.

Current laboratory active tables are probably an overkill for audio purposes - I can easily consider that in our crazy application an active table with just two degrees of freedom optimized for audio would sound very similar to those ultra expensive tables!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Peter, no, this was purely a theoretical disadvantage for me, with my tube gear and associated psus being prone to hum.
Since there is somewhat of a consensus that passive pneumatics are better suited to springy suspended wooden floors, and potential of hum issues with active, my choice was an easy one in the end, sealed by the advantages heard in SQ.

Consensus? I did not notice ... :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, it’s not my consensus, but other’s.
When I put it out there that in my passive Stacore v active Kuraka trial, passive was superior across the board, I was told by the proponents of active that my springy wooden floor was not the ideal surface for active to show of its best.
Now of course this could be right. Otoh, it could also be because passive is better suited to audio applications than active irrespective of the floor.
I personally don’t subscribe to the aforementioned consensus, I’m more likely to consider a new passive design that has been formulated from the ground up to be optimal for our uses to be the reason.
The lack of hum issues in going passive was an additional parallel concern for me.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Francisco, it’s not my consensus, but other’s.
When I put it out there that in my passive Stacore v active Kuraka trial, passive was superior across the board, I was told by the proponents of active that my springy wooden floor was not the ideal surface for active to show of its best.
Now of course this could be right. Otoh, it could also be because passive is better suited to audio applications than active irrespective of the floor.
I personally don’t subscribe to the aforementioned consensus, I’m more likely to consider a new passive design that has been formulated from the ground up to be optimal for our uses to be the reason.
The lack of hum issues in going passive was an additional parallel concern for me.

Marc, did you hear a hum issue when you tried the active isolation in your system?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing