Untitled Document

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Taiko Tana-LPS-Setchi---listening

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Mike and Christian need to chime in here, what floor construction do they have?
    6" of concrete over glacial till. then composite hardwood glued directly to that concrete under the speaker end. spikes through the carpet and pad onto the concrete for the source area.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Well Mike, I can confidently conclude your floor is solid. As solid as they come.
    And I concur with Taiko that Stacore is the better option for springier floors like mine. But that doesn’t mean Stacore is a worse option in principle than Herzan or Tana on solid floors.
    Since Tana, Herzan, Accurion, Minus K and Stacore can be trialled at minimal financial loss, surely those like us wanting to go the extra mile on isolation ought to try out a few alternatives including Stacore. Herzan may really not be suited to non solid floors, but that doesn’t mean Stacore is suited any less than Herzan or Tana to solid floors.
    And since this is a Tana thread, not a Stacore one, that’s all I want to say.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Poured Concrete floor at current residence and in new residence.
    Christian

System Gear

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    trying to keep this simple and brief,

the Tripoint Elite (the Troy Sig is similar but not the same) is about weight and energy, along with natural tone and lowered noise. like a prism filtering out the sense of reproduction and leaving music and emotional involvement. it's a profound degree of effect.....not subtle.

the Taiko Tana/LPS/Setchi is about levels of detail, texture and ambient space definition. it resolves incongruities in the musical flow and completes the picture, separates things better and adds ease to musical peaks, and allows for the bass to fully decay and have more natural snap and slam. also seems to filter out any sense of the reproduction process, and any sense that there are speakers or amps or a system even. again; not a subtle effect.

the two seem to compliment each other and if i was choosing one or the other.......i could not do that right now. and i have no plans of needing to do that. maybe the only other thing i would say is that you can make a case for the Taiko Tana as a fundamental piece of a system to start with. whereas i see the Tripoint as a complimentary 'finishing touch' sort of product after you have done the heavy lifting sorting out a system. having the Tripoint in a system from the beginning might hold you back from finding the best of the gear or even the right gear. it has too much of it's own direction. not that it's colored, but it does certainly have a presence.

this is just my own opinion, based on my experience and personal room and system situation. YMMV. i'm sure we will hear from Audiocrack for his alternate viewpoint on the Tripoint. and his perspective is correct based on his situation. we are maybe both right for our own reasons.
    This is very well-explained! Thank you, Mike.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

this morning I moved the Taiko Tana, LPS and Stechi back under the SGM server. it's been under the NVS for a few weeks and I've enjoyed it there. this past week I've been out of town on business and trying to catch up with life. so today back to music and hifi and the quest.

my plan is to move the combo (Taiko Tana-LPS-Stechi) to the MSB dac, and also the dart pre. but I thought I needed to first get my bearings back with the SGM. all is not the same since I last had the Taiko Tana, LPS and Stechi on the SGM three weeks ago. significantly, I moved one of the Hardpoint Trina's to under the Tripoint Elite. I had already moved the Hardpoint Serene to the Tripoint Troy Signature. and this change has moved things to a mind blowing level of digital deliciousness. I've been listening now for about 2 hours going through my digital references. it's like the levels of reality and vividness have been moved higher. likely it's not objectively much of a change, but the emotional and physical connection to the music is more powerful. and the tonal richness adding the Hardpoint Trina to the Tripoint Elite boosts adding the Taiko Tana to the SGM an even higher level. all the little tells are more profound, and all the little musical things that were not very audible, now are more audible and they now have their own air and decays. is more toward analog? I need to listen for a few days, and mix in some analog to comment on that. my sense is that optimizing the Tripoint Troy and Elite in combination with the Taiko Tana and Hardpoint footers has added up to a wonderful mix.....more later.

Name:  next-2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  713.9 KB

Name:  next-1.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  572.7 KB
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 12-16-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    this morning I moved the Taiko Tana, LPS and Stechi back under the SGM server. it's been under the NVS for a few weeks and I've enjoyed it there. this past week I've been out of town on business and trying to catch up with life. so today back to music and hifi and the quest.

my plan is to move the combo (Taiko Tana-LPS-Stechi) to the MSB dac, and also the dart pre. but I thought I needed to first get my bearings back with the SGM. all is not the same since I last had the Taiko Tana, LPS and Stechi on the SGM three weeks ago. significantly, I moved one of the Hardpoint Trina's to under the Tripoint Elite. I had already moved the Hardpoint Serene to the Tripoint Troy Signature. and this change has moved things to a mind blowing level of digital deliciousness. I've been listening now for about 2 hours going through my digital references. it's like the levels of reality and vividness have been moved higher. likely it's not objectively much of a change, but the emotional and physical connection to the music is more powerful. and the tonal richness adding the Hardpoint Trina to the Tripoint Elite boosts adding the Taiko Tana to the SGM an even higher level. all the little tells are more profound, and all the little musical things that were not very audible, now are more audible and they now have their own air and decays. is more toward analog? I need to listen for a few days, and mix in some analog to comment on that. my sense is that optimizing the Tripoint Troy and Elite in combination with the Taiko Tana and Hardpoint footers has added up to a wonderful mix.....more later.

Name:  next-2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  713.9 KB

Name:  next-1.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  572.7 KB
    Perhaps a tad OT, but I am very curious if you are using the digital filtered outlets from your Equitech panel to power your SGM or the PSU for the MSB DAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamrael View Post
    Perhaps a tad OT, but I am very curious if you are using the digital filtered outlets from your Equitech panel to power your SGM or the PSU for the MSB DAC?
    yes; the two power supplies (one for the analog circuits, and one for the digital circuits) of the MSB, and the SGM, are powered from the filtered outlets. plus the bass tower amplifiers are each powered by a filtered outlet.

second Taiko Tana combo is here, this time a TS-140 version. it came in today, one normal sized box for the LPS and one 126 pound box with the big Panzerholtz plinth and TS-140.

before I had tried the smaller TS-150 Taiko Tana version with the NVS tt and it did push things to a considerably higher level over the stock Herzan TS-150. i'd say the larger 'right sized' Taiko Tana TS-140 + LPS + Stechi has stepped considerably beyond the degree of improvement of the smaller TS-150.

first impressions now these last couple of hours are extremely promising. tomorrow I will comment further. below are some pictures; you can see the TS-150 Taiko Tana currently under my SGM server. my next move will be to switch that smaller one to under the dart preamp and see how that affects both digital and vinyl. this is cutting edge stuff.

Name:  140-1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  783.4 KB

Name:  140-2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  523.1 KB

more pictures. read my comments in the post right above.

Name:  140-3.jpg
Size:  721.9 KB

Name:  140-4.jpg
Size:  704.9 KB

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Looks like some nice stuff Mike. It would be interesting to hear your observations with both active on and off (herzan still powered up). I’m inclined to use active for power supplies only. I think active works against the music with some analog playback devices as I have experienced. The music is pleasant but more homogenized in a sense...it loses some of that raw realism.
    Christian

System Gear

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast