Modded SET amps

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone ever replaced a copper wire wound transformer with a silver wire wound transformer?

Do silver transformer windings and copper transformer windings have consistent differences in sound?

John Roberts has done these blind tests and silver consistently better.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can you post a link to these listening tests?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mik changes his Jadis to heavy Platinum transformers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

accwai

Jul 26, 2012

Any details on how the silver transformer is better in those tests?

I recently had my amps upgraded from Ocellia Quaero SE 300B Signature to Quaero SE 300B Silver Signature. Listened to them through a pair of experimental speakers with 12" PHY-HP driver at the Ocellia headquarters the day after the upgrade was done. It was staggeringly musical. But once they're with production model Ocellia Calliope 21 Twin Silver Signature speakers, the treble seems a little hot. Turning the tweeters down a couple of notches bring things under control. Have about 50 hours of run time on the new output transformers so far. Very happy with the system now. Happy enough I can probably live with it for the rest of my life...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Any details on how the silver transformer is better in those tests?

I recently had my amps upgraded from Ocellia Quaero SE 300B Signature to Quaero SE 300B Silver Signature. Listened to them through a pair of experimental speakers with 12" PHY-HP driver at the Ocellia headquarters the day after the upgrade was done. It was staggeringly musical. But once they're with production model Ocellia Calliope 21 Twin Silver Signature speakers, the treble seems a little hot. Turning the tweeters down a couple of notches bring things under control. Have about 50 hours of run time on the new output transformers so far. Very happy with the system now. Happy enough I can probably live with it for the rest of my life...

Nope. You can PM Joe though, he will reply.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Has anyone ever replaced a copper wire wound transformer with a silver wire wound transformer?

Do silver transformer windings and copper transformer windings have consistent differences in sound?

Hi Ron,

Transformers can be a combination of science and black art. Not just wire, copper vs silver but dielectric material, lamination grades and materials, core types can all make a difference.

Regards
Bob

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, I understand that. I was curious -- holding all other factors constant -- how copper wire winding sounds versus silver wire winding in otherwise the exact same transformer design.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I played with many SETs with a good friend who is an excellent builder. We played with coupling caps, resistors and of course transformers. I remember liking Clarity, Audience, Mundorf and V-Caps. Wax caps were still pretty unobtainable back then. Transformers ranged from locally custom wound around salvaged cores to transformers from Tango, Tamura and Lundahl. At the time I only used real RCA 2a3s or WE 300Bs as these were my only play SETs. While I did get to try a number of current production tubes, I never liked any of them enough to buy them. I never got to go into 211s and 845s. At some point I became a distributor and so play ended as the Lamm SETs and later KR SETs came into our possession. Fun times for sure. I still own one custom amp built from scraps. AN transformers salvaged from AN amps that were submerged in a flood, custom case work, AN circuit, KR 300 B tubes in Parallel. That reminds me that I need to get it fixed as it keeps popping B+ fuses on one tube position.

Any specific reason, Jack, that you never got into 211 or 300b amps? Maybe an issue of (not enough) power? To my ears the set 300b/211 amps have something magical, in particular the midrange. Luckily nowadays there are some out there with a very good low end as well.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Any specific reason, Jack, that you never got into 211 or 300b amps? Maybe an issue of (not enough) power? To my ears the set 300b/211 amps have something magical, in particular the midrange. Luckily nowadays there are some out there with a very good low end as well.

I guess I just never got the chance with the bigger tubes AC. I like 211s a lot too, 845s normally not as much. Most 845 amps I'd heard at that time were slow and bloated.

Those were lean years budget wise too so that was the main reason why.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I guess I just never got the chance with the bigger tubes AC. I like 211s a lot too, 845s normally not as much. Most 845 amps I'd heard at that time were slow and bloated.

Ah, those good old days with low budgets and a lot of fun ....

I guess we see eye to eye as regards the quality of (good) 211 amps ... playing with one at the moment and I really love what it is doing.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I spent a few hours two nights ago listening to a friend's Air Tight 3211 monos. I must say, VERY beguiling.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

A good friend owns these 845 amps and they do not sound slow and boated ... :) Unfortunately last weekend I could see them, but they were not connected to his system.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 89

accwai

Jul 26, 2012

Yup, that VinylSavor article intrigued me enough that when Ocellia announced the silver output transformer option for their amp, I decided I'll take it someday. Rereading the article now, I think it's pretty spot on:

[...] Transparent yes, but it retains all the tone colours of a design and in some cases even enhances them. Totally smooth and enjoyable sound.

Tone colors on my amp was no slouch before the swap, but greatly enhanced with the new transformer. And not just enhanced treble either, it's pretty much across the audio range from top to bottom. And timing of the amp is undisturbed. The combo makes it so easy to make sense of the music being played. Thus the impression of "staggeringly musical" the first time I heard them after the upgrade.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Those are push pull 211 amps, right?

Given the power rating they must be. They sounded as liquid as Air Tight's true 211 SETs however. It seems the top designers these days are able to bias and time their PP circuits much better than 15 years ago.

Micro, back then the only 845s to be auditioned around here were of lower pedigree. I came to the impression that 211s must be better because the 211s from the same manufacturers were markedly better for pretty much the same price. Incomplete data I know but that is all I had to go on.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Given the power rating they must be. They sounded as liquid as Air Tight's true 211 SETs however. It seems the top designers these days are able to bias and time their PP circuits much better than 15 years ago.

Micro, back then the only 845s to be auditioned around here were of lower pedigree. I came to the impression that 211s must be better because the 211s from the same manufacturers were markedly better for pretty much the same price. Incomplete data I know but that is all I had to go on.

Nice to see that you seem to have a positive opinion on the old Air Tight 211 SETs. A pair was offered locally for sale some years ago at a very nice price and I immediately discarded it after seeing the measurements and also the very negative comments of Stereophile on those graphs - I am prepared to ignore measurements but those really seemed too bad! :eek:

I think that the important aspect is that more than tube or topology what matters most is design and implementation. In my case I never listened to a 211 tube amplifier of the rank of the Marantz T1, so I can not comment on relative performance at all. In the end we must let our ears be the judges with an open mind.

So it seems we have one more amplifier for Ron's list : the Air Tight 3211 monos!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing