DACs that excel at DSD playback (other than Lampi GG)?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi Everyone,

It is time to replace my ageing Lampi L4, and I am looking for a new DAC in 15 000 euro range. Most of my music collection is in DSD format, so I need a DAC, which is very good with DSD and supports at least DSD256.
I have had extensive listening sessions with Lampi GG in my system and liked it very very much, so this is the obvious choice. But I want to at least consider other options. So far, I am thinking about the new Aqua Formula. Anything else out there?

Thanks,
Aziz

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have the Aqua and can vouch for its sound as can Mike L. I haven't heard the upgrade yet which does native DSD as I'm sure you know. Then there's TotalDAC Seven which sb in your range.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Nagra HD Dac is DSD designed. I believe several upgrades have or will be made available. Optional output transformers if you need true balanced output.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The Nagra HD Dac is DSD designed. I believe several upgrades have or will be made available. Optional output transformers if you need true balanced output.

I believe the Nagra HD starts at €20K and is over his budget which is why I omitted it.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you for the suggestions. The new Aqua Formula is definitely on my radar. Although, I've just read in the Audiostream review, that it sounds a bit on the analytical side comparing to the Totaldac that the reviewer has. This is not good, as I am used to the Lampi sound, and Lampis are not analytical at all.
One of the Totaldac models would be an excellent choice, but they only support up to DSD128, and I really want to try those DSD256 recordings.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Thank you for the suggestions. The new Aqua Formula is definitely on my radar. Although, I've just read in the Audiostream review, that it sounds a bit on the analytical side comparing to the Totaldac that the reviewer has. This is not good, as I am used to the Lampi sound, and Lampis are not analytical at all.
One of the Totaldac models would be an excellent choice, but they only support up to DSD128, and I really want to try those DSD256 recordings.

The Aqua Formula with the XHD upgrade which then accepts DSD 256, is sounding very tonally dense and rich. HQ Player converting all PCM tracks to DSD 256 brings a lot to the sonic table. Very much recommended for an audition

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As one that has compared DAC's to the direct A-D feed from several converters, I would look no further than the Merging NADAC. I have had the Lampi GG as well as other high-end DAC's and can without a doubt, highly recommend the NADAC.

Merging NADAC

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
The Aqua Formula with the XHD upgrade which then accepts DSD 256, is sounding very tonally dense and rich. HQ Player converting all PCM tracks to DSD 256 brings a lot to the sonic table. Very much recommended for an audition

Interesting. Does this actually add anything sonically. If you convert to DSD doesn't it add extra noise, that then has to be filtered out. Maybe the filter in DSD does the apparent treble smoothing that some seem to enjoy? If the Formula has no filter, would it be best to feed it pure PCM at the original sample rate?

Only saying. I haven't tried the above yet with a DAC capable of handling both. But there is a camp that says best to run it untouched, not altered or messed with.

There was a cluster of PCM to DSD folk on here in the GG / Formula threads, but it seems to have since gone quiet somewhat.

Anyway, it would be useful to find a DSD capable DAC if you have lots of DSD originals. But also wouldn't you need an equality capable PCM function as well? I think it will be hard to find a DAC that does both at the best level possible. Most DSD engines are FPGA so there is a cost there, and adding that to dedicated PCM conversion function.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Interesting. Does this actually add anything sonically. If you convert to DSD doesn't it add extra noise, that then has to be filtered out. Maybe the filter in DSD does the apparent treble smoothing that some seem to enjoy? If the Formula has no filter, would it be best to feed it pure PCM at the original sample rate?

Only saying. I haven't tried the above yet with a DAC capable of handling both. But there is a camp that says best to run it untouched, not altered or messed with.

There was a cluster of PCM to DSD folk on here in the GG / Formula threads, but it seems to have since gone quiet somewhat.

Anyway, it would be useful to find a DSD capable DAC if you have lots of DSD originals. But also wouldn't you need an equality capable PCM function as well? I think it will be hard to find a DAC that does both at the best level possible. Most DSD engines are FPGA so there is a cost there, and adding that to dedicated PCM conversion function.

Last week I had the pleasure of listening to a Lampi single ended GG using HQ Player to convert all tracks to DSD. This owner has lot of experience with tube rolling, and his voicing of the GG was deliciously sweet, yet precise and detailed. The sonics of the Lampi was significantly uplifted by a D-2 Setchi hooked up to the SPDIF input, and a A1 Setchi hooked up to an unused RCA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

this was mostly earlier GG's and the Nagra HD both optimized for dsd conversion. and there were many of these GG's out there. later GG's (or upgraded one's) had improved PCM.

not hard to find, just hard to pay for. the MSB Select II with it's hybrid dac design, is easily both the best PCM and best DSD that I have heard.

and at a more modest price point, likely the Aqua Formula with the recent upgrades, would be a pretty good choice to do both. and it's modular and shown to be upgradeable.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

I also read the review. He also stated the Aqua presents greater sense of scale and along with it, drama. IMO the Aqua is a master of detail retrieval and 2D / 3D spacial cues. For lush, I can roll with a tube preamp. I can say the TD and Aqua are both excellent, can't go wrong either way.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Also Playback Designs DACs can be added. They always had a good reputation for DSD. I liked their MPD-5 in DSD.
Dream DAC coming out soon but perhaps too expensive.
Merlot DAC

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Ayre QX-5 can be configured in a basic to fully loaded model. They keep DSD native have modular approach to usb and Ethernet so those inputs can be upgraded as needed. They throw in a great headphone amp as well. Roon ready and it utilizes the latest ess 9038 dac. Under $10k fully loaded. I think under 7k for the base.

johnG

Jan 7, 2016
Esoteric 34-bit Dual Mono D-05X - DSD up to 22.5MHz. New model - I have had mine for about 2 weeks, can't compare with other 'hi-end' dacs, but DSD256 as original playback sounds sensational. As does PCM hires and redbook. Upsampling PCM to DSD with HQPlayer - not so much, prefer the PCM.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
this was mostly earlier GG's and the Nagra HD both optimized for dsd conversion. and there were many of these GG's out there. later GG's (or upgraded one's) had improved PCM.

not hard to find, just hard to pay for. the MSB Select II with it's hybrid dac design, is easily both the best PCM and best DSD that I have heard.

and at a more modest price point, likely the Aqua Formula with the recent upgrades, would be a pretty good choice to do both. and it's modular and shown to be upgradeable.
Hi Mike, I believe you have done a direct comparison of Aqua and MSB in your system. Would you say, that the Aqua is a more analytical sounding DAC compare to the MSB?
Thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last week I had the pleasure of listening to a Lampi single ended GG using HQ Player to convert all tracks to DSD. This owner has lot of experience with tube rolling, and his voicing of the GG was deliciously sweet, yet precise and detailed. The sonics of the Lampi was significantly uplifted by a D-2 Setchi hooked up to the SPDIF input, and a A1 Setchi hooked up to an unused RCA

May I ask what tubes he was using?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I thought the OP had a budget of 15k Euro???????????

Playback Designs is a great suggestion, but the Dream DAC is going to be many $$k above this. The Merlot is an excellent suggestion.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The PS Audio DirectStream and Memory Players is excellent at SACD playback.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Mike, I believe you have done a direct comparison of Aqua and MSB in your system. Would you say, that the Aqua is a more analytical sounding DAC compare to the MSB?

What does 'analytical' mean? More resolution of timbre and separation of instruments? If so, then that's more musical too, because that's what you hear live (unamplified music).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing