DACs that excel at DSD playback (other than Lampi GG)?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys, I am now listening to Aqua Formula, although not the latest xHD version. The PCM performance is top notch. This is the first DAC I heard, that has the same vast 3D soundstage as Lampi DACs.
But the DSD performance, I don’t know, I feel that something is lacking even in comparison to my L4. Anyway, I plan to try the xHD version and hopefully it’s DSD performance is much improved. The description of the Formula update states: “Sample rate in “Bit Perfect” up to 768 kHz PCM and quad rate DSD (DSD256)”. Does anyone know what they mean by “bit perfect”? Is it a simple change to enable playback in higher DSD256 rate, or they’ve changed the way DSD format is handled by the dac? The older Formula converted DSD signal to PCM. I wonder if it’s still the case with the xHD version.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I would like to hear the Formula.

Guys, I am now listening to Aqua Formula, although not the latest xHD version. The PCM performance is top notch. This is the first DAC I heard, that has the same vast 3D soundstage as Lampi DACs.
But the DSD performance, I don’t know, I feel that something is lacking even in comparison to my L4. Anyway, I plan to try the xHD version and hopefully it’s DSD performance is much improved. The description of the Formula update states: “Sample rate in “Bit Perfect” up to 768 kHz PCM and quad rate DSD (DSD256)”. Does anyone know what they mean by “bit perfect”? Is it a simple change to enable playback in higher DSD256 rate, or they’ve changed the way DSD format is handled by the dac? The older Formula converted DSD signal to PCM. I wonder if it’s still the case with the xHD version.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
My wife states DSD or SACDs recordings of familiar and unfamiliar music converted to PCM sound "uncomfortable".

This is an interesting topic. It seems most DACs use a different digital board entirely to really handle DSD. I am wondering if that is the case, it is a kind of patch up job using a digital engine to try and do both? Quite possibly a user then needs to decide which is more important, the best possible PCM with some DSD thrown is as an occasional thing, or go all out for a top DSD dedicated machine. That in my case would not work. I would have to own 2 DACs to know I was getting the best of both those formats.

But I am open to be convinced it can be done at the required level on the one DAC, which is what we are trying to find out in this thread. :eek:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is an interesting topic. It seems most DACs use a different digital board entirely to really handle DSD.

Not only that, but it's the algorithm that is used to convert DSD->PCM. This can easily be done using different sample rate converters and filters (ie; linear phase, minimum phase, etc....)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing