Audio Research 250SE Versus VTL MB-185 Series III/MB-450 Series III

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You are highlighting an important aspect - the importance of preamplifier-amplifier matching. Although I sometimes try mixing brands of preamplifiers and amplifiers, in the long term I always feel uneasy about the combination - something is missing from the full capabilities of any of the. For example, I have the feeling I have not listened to the Lamm M1.2R in best conditions until I manage to get a Lamm preamplifier to listen.

Although I like the ARC REF250 a lot - I have it now in my room - I feel it really asks for an ARC preamplfier to show its best.

You might try a Music First as well.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
You are highlighting an important aspect - the importance of preamplifier-amplifier matching. Although I sometimes try mixing brands of preamplifiers and amplifiers, in the long term I always feel uneasy about the combination - something is missing from the full capabilities of any of the. For example, I have the feeling I have not listened to the Lamm M1.2R in best conditions until I manage to get a Lamm preamplifier to listen.

Although I like the ARC REF250 a lot - I have it now in my room - I feel it really asks for an ARC preamplfier to show its best.
I have a VAC SigMKIIa SE Pre driving ARC REF250SE and it's a superb match. I was going to replace SigMKIIa with ARC REF10 but after SE upgrade, I decided to keep the VAC ... a totally different and IMPrOVED pre. Anyone wIth SigMKII, I highly highly recommend the upgrade.

As long as the impedance is compatible, I find zero disadvantages mixing brands. I had a fully balanced SS H-CAT Pre built last summer so I can use it with ARC REF250SE and also excellent match. Impedance!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a VAC SigMKIIa SE Pre driving ARC REF250SE and it's a superb match. I was going to replace SigMKIIa with ARC REF10 but after SE upgrade, I decided to keep the VAC ... a totally different and IMPrOVED pre. Anyone wIth SigMKII, I highly highly recommend the upgrade.

As long as the impedance is compatible, I find zero disadvantages mixing brands. I had a fully balanced SS H-CAT Pre built last summer so I can use it with ARC REF250SE and also excellent match. Impedance!!!

Thanks. So did you manage to compare the VAC to the AR pre?

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Thanks. So did you manage to compare the VAC to the AR pre?
I did before upgrade. ARC has bigger sound stage, quieter, more transparent ... different presentations. I was only concerned with noisier and transparency and felt they were addressed in the upgrade.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I did before upgrade. ARC has bigger sound stage, quieter, more transparent ... different presentations. I was only concerned with noisier and transparency and felt they were addressed in the upgrade.

What does VAC do that's better? Never heard it, while I have heard the Ref 10

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
What does VAC do that's better? Never heard it, while I have heard the Ref 10
VAC a bit more liquid and ARC more neutral / larger sound stage. VAC uses e88cc/6922 so easy roll to your taste and transformer coupling that can drive more difficult amps. Both are excellent so CAN'T go wrong with either.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
VAC a bit more liquid and ARC more neutral / larger sound stage. VAC uses e88cc/6922 so easy roll to your taste and transformer coupling that can drive more difficult amps. Both are excellent so CAN'T go wrong with either.

Curious that I feel the same about the cj GAT (also using 6922) versus the ARC REF40. The GAT is more liquid and more enjoyable with vocal/instrumental pop music, but the REF40 is much more realistic with classical music, either instrumental or vocal. Particularly with recordings of performances I have assisted my preference goes towards the REF40.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What do you theorize best explains this difference in sound? Different tubes? Different circuit designs? Different transformers?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Should one wish to up ones game with the ARC Ref pre's replace the factory supplied Sovtek power regulators in an Ref 40 or Ref 10 with dealer tested NOS General Electric 6550A's circa 1970's, the Sovtek's IMHO sounding Hard and 'Glassy' by comparison.

Should one wish to 'Out Liquify' an cj GAT or VAC try rolling with very early 60's Solid Grey plate or Late 50's Solid Black plate TungSol 6550's , altho one then plays a game of Snakes and Ladders with the neutrality of the ARC's that favoures Classical so well.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Should one wish to up ones game with the ARC Ref pre's replace the factory supplied Sovtek power regulators in an Ref 40 or Ref 10 with dealer tested NOS General Electric 6550A's circa 1970's, the Sovtek's IMHO sounding Hard and 'Glassy' by comparison.

Should one wish to 'Out Liquify' an cj GAT or VAC try rolling with very early 60's Solid Grey plate or Late 50's Solid Black plate TungSol 6550's , altho one then plays a game of Snakes and Ladders with the neutrality of the ARC's that favoures Classical so well.

Did you try the JJ 6550? Some people say it is a much better replacement than the Sovtek.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Did you try the JJ 6550? Some people say it is a much better replacement than the Sovtek.

I did Yes....I wouldn't say that I found it much better tho, Early production Winged =C= were nice, tho not easy to source these days. Harma Retro Cryo'd were pretty good also.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

microstrip, have you ever compared directly the VTL MB–750 to the MB-185 Series III or to the MB-450 Series III?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
microstrip, have you ever compared directly the VTL MB–750 to the MB-185 Series III or to the MB-450 Series III?

No, the only modern tube amplifier I have directly compared to the MB–750 was the Audio Research REF150. Although the mono MB-750s were much more powerful, the REF150 had much better bass depth, detail and articulation, and was more transparent in the middle and treble. The REF150 sounded much more natural and voices were more like the real thing. So much that after a few months of coexistence I traded the VTLs for the best amplifiers I have owned - the REF750's ...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Many people believe that the smaller amplifier wih fewer tubes in the same model line sounds better than the scaled-up, larger amplifier. Did the Ref 750 take anything away from the naturalness of the Ref150?

Was there any downside to the Ref750 compared to the Ref150?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Many people believe that the smaller amplifier wih fewer tubes in the same model line sounds better than the scaled-up, larger amplifier. Did the Ref 750 take anything away from the naturalness of the Ref150?

Was there any downside to the Ref750 compared to the Ref150?

The large REF750 amplifiers sounded different and significantly better than the REF150. However it needed a longer warm-up time, and if we compared them in a hasty way we could get the idea that the REF150 was more natural. Usually the larger amplifiers have an higher damping factor and in most systems the result is a more controlled, deeper and more defined bass sound - if the room, system and listener are tuned to a small amplifier they can find the "true" bass lacking in warmth.

The downside of the RF750 was heat and tube replacements - it needs four matched octets every 2000 hours. In order to get matched octets you have to analyze and burn-in thousands of tubes. The REF250 only needs sets of three matched tubes.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
No, the only modern tube amplifier I have directly compared to the MB–750 was the Audio Research REF150. Although the mono MB-750s were much more powerful, the REF150 had much better bass depth, detail and articulation, and was more transparent in the middle and treble. The REF150 sounded much more natural and voices were more like the real thing. So much that after a few months of coexistence I traded the VTLs for the best amplifiers I have owned - the REF750's ...

Did you run the MB-750's in triode or tetrode mode and can you recall which tubes you were using? Thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did you run the MB-750's in triode or tetrode mode and can you recall which tubes you were using? Thanks!

Most of the time in pentode mode - triode mode was not the best way of using them in either the Soundlab's or the Sonus Faber Aidas. Tubes were 6550C Svetlana C-wing - I could get them easily from Germany.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Most of the time in pentode mode - triode mode was not the best way of using them in either the Soundlab's or the Sonus Faber Aidas. Tubes were 6550C Svetlana C-wing - I could get them easily from Germany.

Ok, I've always found my 750's slow, muddy and dynamically restrained sounding in triode mode, even with the much more transparent sounding A selection Shuguang KT-88's (TAD, penta labs etc). I ditched my Ref150 because it was a bit polite, overly well mannered and small sounding for my tastes. Would you say the Ref 750's are a big step up in scale / dynamic impact / soundstage size over the Ref 150?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, I've always found my 750's slow, muddy and dynamically restrained sounding in triode mode, even with the much more transparent sounding A selection Shuguang KT-88's (TAD, penta labs etc). I ditched my Ref150 because it was a bit polite, overly well mannered and small sounding for my tastes. Would you say the Ref 750's are a big step up in scale / dynamic impact / soundstage size over the Ref 150?

The REF750 had a sense of scale I only got recently again with the Constellation Audio Centaur II. I owned them before getting the XLF's, they were used in the Magico Mini II's, Alexia and Soundlab's. There were no possible comparison with the REF150 in the parameters you refer - even on small speakers. Even at low volumes they poured energy in the speakers. But they did not transform these speakers in XLF's :D - the scale of the XLF is also due to its size, bass extreme correctness in the small detail, nuance and full range seamless.

Please note I listen mainly to acoustical music - little pop, almost no rock or electronics.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you microstrip, very helpful. I'm looking to replace my MB-750's mainly due to "flatness and greying" of midrange images to a certain degree however my musical preference is classical / large scale orchestra and I would not trade scale for anything. I do have an experiment in mind involving a 6-pack of Rel no.25 subwoofers combined with a more monitor sized speaker to which I could apply extensive vibration control which could possibly also allow me to switch to a more moderate powered amplifier. But of this fails the Ref 750's sound like something worth to try.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing