Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
I've just been doing (in the last five minutes) a 242 versus the replacement RKs.

I did say the replacements were different to the first lot.

The track I have been using for direct compare is The Brandt Brauer Frick Ensemble "On Powdered Ground" from the album Mr Machine.

So first of, I tried 242 with some Rothwell attenuators into my active pre. Mistake, they are shite, robs the 242 of its life. Much better putting up with the high gain. I still have enough volume flexibility to use it realistically without. It just isn't as nice as lower gain options.

Next in the RK. Like the first lot, the bass is stronger than 242. There is more of it, definitely. Secondly, in just about every parameter the RK is superior. Better spatiality, better clarity, better separation, easier to listen to. It is just plain better.

I was using this same track the last time I was comparing 242 versus the RK.

That's all I have to say for now. Ked's welcome to listen and agree or disagree.

I'm pretty happy I complained and seemed to have scored a very good pair.

Thats great feedback - the first pair must have been faulty then surely, for there to be such a stark difference? I may have to just push the button on a set.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Unfortunately I have never heard the Takatsuki 274b recti.

It is very good - it made a massive difference when I compared it to the EML 5u4G that I started out with.

(Apart from the Tak I don't know) my all time favorite rectifier is the KR 5u4g white base, because it sounds so good :cool:

Is that the Lampi Anniversary version of the 5u4g? I have one of those that came with the 242's that I bought, but I've not had chance to try it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is very good - it made a massive difference when I compared it to the EML 5u4G that I started out with.

Is that the Lampi Anniversary version of the 5u4g? I have one of those that came with the 242's that I bought, but I've not had chance to try it.

Same one.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

The white base Lampi KR 5U4G is the second Batch of anniversary rectifier tubes and it betters the EML mesh 5U4G and EML mesh 274b rectifiers by quite a margin.

Both EML mesh rectifiers became vastly better sounding after a LOT of hours but still no match for the white base Lampi KR 5U4G.

You should burn-in the Lampi KR 5U4G properly (EML burn-in advice on the paper delivered with your EML recti) and then compare to the Takatsuki 274b.
I'm most curious about the outcome.
Please let us know what you find :b

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Looking for some advice.

With Ked's counsel, I am the new (as of yesterday) owner of a 2 year old GG SE DAC pre. I won it on ebay and it is currently with Lukasz. He checked it all out (courtesy of his free service for used equipment) and pronounced it in excellent condition. However, it is not fully tricked out with all the latest improvements. Also it doesn't come with the DHT tubes, only an EML rectifier tube. Since Lukasz has it, I thought it would be an ideal time to have him install the upgrades. Alternatively, I could use the credit (new policy is a 1% per month depreciation on cost price for trade in value) against a Pacific, or an upgrade to a GG2. Reading this thread and other sources like Ked, here is what I think are possible upgrades:

Octuple 512 DSD Board
R2R PCM Board
superclocks for USB
Jupiter Caps (think it has Mundorfs)

Right now thinking about the RK 300b and RK rectifier for tubes.

I'm not a big tube roller, and my major interest is classical music. I have a fair collection of DSD albums, including a good number of DSD256. No DSD512s. Also have fair number of DXD352 albums. Lots of PCM192/24, mostly rips I've done (about 10,000 vinyl and tape albums - 40+TB) all with my Pacific Microsonics Model Two. I'll be able to compare the GG to the Model Two at 192/24. However, the Model Two is a PITA to use for playback, really a pro piece of equipment for recording and playback.

I currently am using Roon and HQP to upconvert my digital files to DSD256 for my NADAC mch DAC, which I will continue to use for my many mch files. Everything is connected to my computer through ethernet (built for me by Chris Connaker in consultation with Jussi of HQP to make sure it could upconvert mch files to DSD256 with no hiccups). I don't use a USB DAC currently.

Any suggestions, additions, deletions?

PS. Interesting to hear about the new RK tubes. I met Riccardo and Eunice Kron more than 20 years ago when I was visiting Hong Kong. They were in a small hifi shop in Central and I was the only other person in the store, standing in the back going through a couple of bins of records, while Riccardo was talking about/demoing to the shop owner his new amps (Eunice was sitting quietly knitting). They were powered by his new 300b tubes. I had never seen tubes that big in my life! The sound that came out of the non descript bookshelf speakers was mesmerizing and I asked them if they minded me sitting in on the audition. It changed my hifi life, and set me on the path to SET's (I couldn't afford Kron's amps at the time), and to horns, which I still have today. Riccardo passed away a few years later, and I saw on web that Eunice is still running KR Audio.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, your identified updates are correct. Caps could be either Jupiter or Duelund...I wouldn't stay with the Mundorf.

Regarding tube rolling, while some people do it for the fun of trying different tubes, I prefer it to find the best suited tube, and it does lead to massive improvements in system performance, as matching of gain, impedance, whatever leads to proper drive, dynamics, flow, etc.

No one can advise you the exact tube to buy as it will depend on the match to your preamp, and the overall gain of the system, and of your Lampi itself. Your Vout will also differ. In the same system, one person found the 242 matching with one of his Big 7s but not with his other.

So, the thing is to have a possible shortlist and rotate to identify best match. On high sensitive speakers, the special 45s seem to work well, so keep on a lookout for them. Post a wanted on the forum, on audioshark, and on the gon.

The RK 300s are getting good reviews so will be worth a try. If there is any Lampi user in your area (ask Lukasz), he can help you try some valves.

The KR recti seems to consistently work better than the EML. Though the EML is quite good and will help you enjoy the Lampi

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, I hadn't seen the other tapatalk thread before.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Looking for some advice.

With Ked's counsel, I am the new (as of yesterday) owner of a 2 year old GG SE DAC pre. I won it on ebay and it is currently with Lukasz. He checked it all out (courtesy of his free service for used equipment) and pronounced it in excellent condition. However, it is not fully tricked out with all the latest improvements. Also it doesn't come with the DHT tubes, only an EML rectifier tube. Since Lukasz has it, I thought it would be an ideal time to have him install the upgrades. Alternatively, I could use the credit (new policy is a 1% per month depreciation on cost price for trade in value) against a Pacific, or an upgrade to a GG2. Reading this thread and other sources like Ked, here is what I think are possible upgrades:

Octuple 512 DSD Board
R2R PCM Board
superclocks for USB
Jupiter Caps (think it has Mundorfs)
If you can afford it...RUN dont walk and take the tradeup to the Pac. I think the introductory (generous) trade in terms may be coming to an end soon.

I have a demo unit here at the moment and its a big WOW! Tubes? EML45 Anniv meshGlobes, Chinese 2724, KR242 and Kron 5u4g recti are much heralded, as is the RK300b.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Compared RK PX4 to special EML Mapi 45s. The RK PX4 are amazing...excellent bass, dynamics, solid dense body, control...easily better on orchestral. The special 45s had a bit more air sounding better on arias.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Ked

Did you also compare the RK PX4 to our beloved 242?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ked

Did you also compare the RK PX4 to our beloved 242?

The 242 don't do any magic in Greg's system. So they don't sound like we like them.

But overall the RK PX4 is quite dense with excellent bass, tone, dynamics. In orchestral tuttis every individual instrument stood out with excellent tone. Loads of drive and excitement.

We also had analog to compare, sikora TT with kuzma 4p, art 1000, and thoress phono. The thoress is an excellent phono but in terms of dynamics and large stage and depth on orchestral, Lampi was better without giving up on tone.

With Lampi we used coincident line stage while thoress phono was built in to the pre. The amp was KR VA 100 monos, just fantastic.

The speakers were only 9k, from Emmespeakers, the model name is beta... They really surprised me with their bass and wide open panel like stage. Quite fast, not sluggish like cones. Beautiful mids and top down integration. No boom. These are vastly superior to the likes of Wilson Sabrina, Magico Q1, etc.

Attachments

• 9745497B-ECFE-4E37-90DE-5189CBF06C58.jpg
    9745497B-ECFE-4E37-90DE-5189CBF06C58.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 90

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
IIRC, Hifiknights reviewer liked the RK300b a LOT more than RK PX4.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The px 4 are a nice rounded tube that play all genre well for me
This is based on my setup and three DACs one including the pacific.
It’s a nice tube that does not exploit anything bad but when you hear a tube that has a more agrresive presentation you may feel different. Kedar is right about the 242 and he has heard many more setups then I have. He was at my place as well. Although much has changed since then. The sound of them is the same. If someone asked me for a general tube to buy as a first tube they are on that list near top or top. The reason I don’t praise them is when you have many tubes like me and you have heard varying increases in sound details and presentation it’s becomes obvious.
When winson was at my place I also had the pacific here. He heard many of my tubes in that dac
Including the px4 ,242 ,px25 , RK 300b and both kron recti.
The new RK is a bit better over the past one and is in my top 7 recti used in rolling

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes AL, but we speak of the RK PX4 here...the new one....not the KR!

Dawid of HFknights rated the RK 300b over the RK Px4...from memory. I will reread again to see what he says.

I dithered between the RK PX4 and the 300b and chose the latter based on this review and some trusted ears who heard the 300b at the factory. Of course, caveats like system synergy and personal taste matters

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It is a brilliant marketing strategy. KR amd EML keep releasing new tubes, and we keep arguing which is the best, creating insecurity that you haven't got the latest and greatest, and therefore ensuring a constant demand.

However, to a greater or lesser extent, the EML and KR tubes all have a houseish Eastern European sound, that can be realised when selecting NOS options, which sound really quite different.

I'm actually glad most are getting hooked into the new valves as NOS options in good condition are getting thin on the ground.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is a brilliant marketing strategy. KR amd EML keep releasing new tubes, and we keep arguing which is the best, creating insecurity that you haven't got the latest and greatest, and therefore ensuring a constant demand.

However, to a greater or lesser extent, the EML and KR tubes all have a houseish Eastern European sound, that can be realised when selecting NOS options, which sound really quite different.

I'm actually glad most are getting hooked into the new valves as NOS options in good condition are getting thin on the ground.

This is bs. No one is insecure. I have heard WE NOS 101d, 104d, all those VT52 etc...i haven't heard your Marconi. The EML Lampi 45s and the KR valves are really good. And it is good they are improving on their previous valves.

I have compared GG to GG2 and Pacific. The biggest takeaways are get your caps and your valves right. That is what makes Lampi move from a very good dac to the best dac... Yes, it is true in different systems different valves could sound better, but it always comes down to usual suspects. Now the usual suspects level has been increased after two or three years, and that is for the better of all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing