Golden Gate 2 Reactions

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Well, I do not have the separate DSD engine. I wanted to order it, but Lukazs said, it is no longer needed on the GG2.
Both PCM and DSD are played just fine when the button is depressed. If the button is not pressed - no music.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Well, I do not have the separate DSD engine. I wanted to order it, but Lukazs said, it is no longer needed on the GG2.
Both PCM and DSD are played just fine when the button is depressed. If the button is not pressed - no music.

Is the new combo engine DSD512 capable?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys, yesterday evening I changed from 242 to 300B, but forgot to change the tube voltage. I think, I was listening to 300B on the 242 setting for about 2 hours before changing the switch to the proper position. Can it affect the tubes life or damage them in any way?
Thanks.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Guys, yesterday evening I changed from 242 to 300B, but forgot to change the tube voltage. I think, I was listening to 300B on the 242 setting for about 2 hours before changing the switch to the proper position. Can it affect the tubes life or damage them in any way?
Thanks.

In this case it is not a problem because you listened to the 300b in the low voltage setting for the 242.
As long as you don't listen exclusively with the 300b in the low setting, there is no danger.

The other way around is more problematic. Listening to the 242 (or 45 for that matter) in the high voltage setting (for 300b) will deteriorate the 242 or 45 fast or even kill them if it is for hours, due to overvoltage.

Thefore it is always preferred to check the settings when changing tubes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't worry. These tubes last for years. They will usually sound right with the right voltage setting, though there can be exceptions.

Two hours won't make a difference. Let us know how these new ones sound

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you, guys. I think, they sound amazing even on the wrong voltage setting :))
Anyway, I wonder if a manual is available somewhere for the new GG2? Or this would be to much to ask?;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Guys, yesterday evening I changed from 242 to 300B, but forgot to change the tube voltage. I think, I was listening to 300B on the 242 setting for about 2 hours before changing the switch to the proper position.

How did the 300b sound, compared to the 242?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks.

Did you notice a SQ improvement when you changed to the correct setting?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well I got the RK 300Bs in today and spent a good few hours rolling between those, some Marconi PX4s, and the Sylvania VT-52.

Winner? The RK 300B. The most linear sounding, the least confused, the best mid range, bass and treble. It is very even handed and controlled.

It doesn't have a dreamy, open mid range like say a TJ Full Music 2A3 does, at the expense of decent bass. It has a very refined mid range - not pushed forward or backwards with respect to the rest of the frequency range, but nicely aligned with it.

It's very resolving and detailed and able to present subtle detail subtly, if that makes any sense.

Thankfully, dimensionality is excellent, in the sense that its portrayal of space is isn't overly hyped. It doesn't deliver bass into your lap like, say, an EML 45 solid plate used to do. There's nothing mad going on with it. It just sounds plausible in the manner in which it places images, not silly hyped.

A flip over to my newly acquired Marconi PX4 and we're immediately presented with a rather rougher mid range with more bite, which is fine when you just don't want the refinement of the RK. Good with Nirvana and the like. A bit more of a rocker of a valve, the Marconi.

Bass is tight and well controlled. My bass panels love it due to its linearity and extension. There's a great sense they being really evenly controlled, which is awesome at high volume on bass centric music.

The valve is fast and able to do quick with consummate ease in what appears to be any part of the frequency spectrum. Treble is subtly detailed and sweet when the source is, but sweet when other valves aren't so sweet, if you catch my drift. I don't believe it is coloured, just less splashy and more accurate that other options.

I am not sure about QC, though. There are three bits of mica that should touch the glass at the top of the valve. On one, they aren't touching. I knew it as soon as I picked the valve out of the box and did a flick test. It rings more than the other valve because these bits of mica support the internal structure to prevent structural resonance.

So we have an excellent performance, really, even with one valve slightly structurally compromised. I will inform KR and see what they say.

Until Ked's 242s show up I can't compare, but I will:)

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Nice post the px 4 are nice as well but easy to beat in that they have a tiny vail over them
The new Kron are nice ??
Playing the set of KR tubes recti and 300b sounds nice

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Nice post the px 4 are nice as well but easy to beat in that they have a tiny vail over them
The new Kron are nice ??

Marconi PX4 isn't going to win any world records...:) The price is on the box. 15 shillings each - 75p or not far off a dollar, LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The new Kron are nice ??

Not KR PX4, he has the old Marconi

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Did you notice a SQ improvement when you changed to the correct setting?

Yes, especially on the vocal (Nat King Cole), with correct setting it sounded more natural.
I have not done any further comparison with 242 since then. The more I listen to RK 300B, the more I am charmed with its sound. The sound is very easy on the ear, and at the same time very rich, full, fat. I am struggling with words here, but you probably know what I mean. Can it be too rich or too dark on some trumpet recordings, like on sax or clarinet? I do not know yet. Still think that it is a bit less resolving than 242.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes, especially on the vocal (Nat King Cole), with correct setting it sounded more natural.
I have not done any further comparison with 242 since then. The more I listen to RK 300B, the more I am charmed with its sound. The sound is very easy on the ear, and at the same time very rich, full, fat. I am struggling with words here, but you probably know what I mean. Can it be too rich or too dark on some trumpet recordings, like on sax or clarinet? I do not know yet. Still think that it is a bit less resolving than 242.

I spent some time with 242 yesterday. Now I understand these comments relative to 300B RK.

RK has a fatter, more extended bass and is relatively laid back, hence the ease in the listenability, I think. A more refined sound.

242 is more resolving, I don't think there is any question about that. It is also more open, has a leaner bass, portrays a great sense of space/air, casts a larger soundstage and is more upfront and exciting. It is very difficult not to like it a lot.

242 is working with my active preamp, but I tried it with my passive too.

I was careful to volume match with an SPL meter as the 242 output is high, 9 o'clock with the 242 being equivalent to about 11:30 with the 300B RK on the volume control of the active pre, with 6 o'clock being zero volume on my active pre.

According to Frank over at Best300B, things start happening with the RK after about 100-200 hours, when it becomes "gold" as he put it. We shall see:)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The RK 300b was specially designed to be a cross between 300b and 242. I have never heard that properly btw, so my previous reply on 242 was wrt compares on other valves. But there it did not lack bass. Though it can sound different across systems

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The RK 300b was specially designed to be a cross between 300b and 242. I have never heard that properly btw, so my previous reply on 242 was wrt compares on other valves. But there it did not lack bass. Though it can sound different across systems

There does seem to be rather more of it compared to 242. It maybe that at the moment, the RK is a little generous with it. Whether that changes over time I don't know but I would be surprised.

Certainly listening to 242 without ever having the RK I don't think I would be thinking it lacked bass. It is definitely leaner, though, in my setup, when you do the cross compare.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I spent some time with 242 yesterday. Now I understand these comments relative to 300B RK.

RK has a fatter, more extended bass and is relatively laid back, hence the ease in the listenability, I think. A more refined sound.

242 is more resolving, I don't think there is any question about that. It is also more open, has a leaner bass, portrays a great sense of space/air, casts a larger soundstage and is more upfront and exciting. It is very difficult not to like it a lot.

242 is working with my active preamp, but I tried it with my passive too.

I was careful to volume match with an SPL meter as the 242 output is high, 9 o'clock with the 242 being equivalent to about 11:30 with the 300B RK on the volume control of the active pre, with 6 o'clock being zero volume on my active pre.

According to Frank over at Best300B, things start happening with the RK after about 100-200 hours, when it becomes "gold" as he put it. We shall see:)
Your comments are spot on. I wonder, how the sound of both tubes will change with break in. Maybe they will sound closer to each other. Anyway, I am now listening to 242, and I have no desire to go back to 300B;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing