Golden Gate 2 Reactions

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi all.
Another question for you,any of you thought about upgrading the "clocks" on the amanero card to pulsar?and is it do able?By the way i didn't need any resistors on the output in my gg.
Kindly/Ingemar
That is microsurgery, so let Lampi do it.

Pulsars will set you back €400 OEM price, IIRC. There is also a Superamaanero board with their own superclocks and Lampi have their own superclocks too.

IMHO, its better to get a Server like the Domansky one or the Memory Player (hardware or software solution)from Laufer Teknik that has the proper byte structure for extra low jitter feeding whatever clock you have. These beauties amplify the accuracy of any clock you have by hundred folds.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have no dog in this fight of what version of lampi dacs is better or worth the investment
Now having said this below is an very obvious observation.
In my room on my system for days and weeks
And about 2 hours of direct comparison of my head dac to a gg2 very new version with the pacific usb engine and tube selector
Dacs were as follows
My head dac a beta dac done for me
Winson can say what it has.
The pacific dac
A gg2
Both dacs were better than mine
Both dacs had the pacific sound a clear view into the music
Both dacs had a higher detail in dynamics in both macro and micro
Both dacs were bad with my 2A3 tubes that are best with my head dac
For anyone to say a gg 1 is in the realm of being a gg2 or pacific or even like my beta head dac must bring there dac to my place and prove it.
While a gg dac is very nice with what ever cap it’s just not as surreal as the ones I had or own

Past gg dacs seem warm of neutral where the gg2 , mine and the pacific have lifted a vail making it possible to be much closer to the music
It could be some systems need that vail or warmth. Where mine needs nothing but music no sound or signature of it’s own
If I had to use one word to describe the pacific even a gg2 it would be virgin.
While all of this is personnel some of this to me is factual.
As for SE or bal some lampi dacs can use the two Rear tubes for SE output.
This post is not to offend anyone in there view

One last thought if anyone is thinking of investing in updating there gg dac to a gg2 or pacific know both dacs are not just worth it but it’s also clear that the pacific is above the gg2 while both maintain room between them.
I’ll let winson discribe further my room and how I conclude my views. Few have what I have at the level I do and even less out the time into what I conclude too.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have no dog in this fight of what version of lampi dacs is better or worth the investment
Now having said this below is an very obvious observation.
In my room on my system for days and weeks
And about 2 hours of direct comparison of my head dac to a gg2 very new version with the pacific usb engine and tube selector
Dacs were as follows
My head dac a beta dac done for me
Winson can say what it has.
The pacific dac
A gg2
Both dacs were better than mine
Both dacs had the pacific sound a clear view into the music
Both dacs had a higher detail in dynamics in both macro and micro
Both dacs were bad with my 2A3 tubes that are best with my head dac
For anyone to say a gg 1 is in the realm of being a gg2 or pacific or even like my beta head dac must bring there dac to my place and prove it.
While a gg dac is very nice with what ever cap it’s just not as surreal as the ones I had or own

Past gg dacs seem warm of neutral where the gg2 , mine and the pacific have lifted a vail making it possible to be much closer to the music
It could be some systems need that vail or warmth. Where mine needs nothing but music no sound or signature of it’s own
If I had to use one word to describe the pacific even a gg2 it would virgin.
While all of this is personnel some of this to me is factual.
As for SE or bal some lampi dacs can use the two Rear tubes for SE output.
This post is not to offend anyone in there view

One last thought if anyone is thinking of investing in updating there gg dac to a gg2 or pacific know both dacs are not just worth it but it’s also clear that the pacific is above the gg2 while both maintain room between them.
I’ll let winson discribe further my room and how I conclude my views. Few have what I have at the level I do and even less out the time into what I conclude too.

Thanks Al - always appreciated your honest view ;-). BTW - miss your comments/posts in our little group...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I appreciate your kindness.
I Always try to be honest but like billy Joel’s song
It’s not always what we want to hear
Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue
Honesty is hardly ever heard

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

Pulsars will set you back €400 OEM price, IIRC. There is also a Superamaanero board with their own superclocks and Lampi have their own superclocks too.

IMHO, its better to get a Server like the Domansky one or the Memory Player (hardware or software solution)from Laufer Teknik that has the proper byte structure for extra low jitter feeding whatever clock you have. These beauties amplify the accuracy of any clock you have by hundred folds.

Of the many servers sold his severs yield great value and great sound with solid support. Make no mistake his severs are no store bought device each one
Is hand crafted with features asked for and time tested. At any price I don’t think there is better perhaps a nicer feel if one likes to pay many times over for a brand name. And lastly keep in mind the truly great products are the most difficult to make
No store bought would go to the extremes he does due to cost in mass production.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Of the many servers sold his severs yield great value and great sound with solid support. Make no mistake his severs are no store bought device each one
Is hand crafted with features asked for and time tested. At any price I don’t think there is better perhaps a nicer feel if one likes to pay many times over for a brand name. And lastly keep in mind the truly great products are the most difficult to make
No store bought would go to the extremes he does due to cost in mass production.

Al I believe you are referring to Lukasz Domansky Server (LDS) right?
Anyhow they are really something and one of the esteemed members of this forum ordered TOTL version, which he should receive soon, so I hope there will be a few words about it when he gets it...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes Lucas Damansky our Lucas we freely need different names hahaha.
Yes I hope so to given his setup at its level would mean plenty.
Ty

ingemar

May 21, 2013
Gothenburg(Sweden)

Ooops,23k for a music server,i don't think so i rather spend some cash on the pulsars but thanks for the advice;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You can put Memory player software on your own server. Cost is $1500. Domansky servers are from €4.5k to €8k.

23k and more for Memory player hardware solution.

These servers/ software are far more than a clock upgrade.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Ooops,23k for a music server,i don't think so i rather spend some cash on the pulsars but thanks for the advice;)

Indeed.

How does Nirvana song go?

"Rape me, rape me my friend
Rape me, rape me again"

:D

And just to make the point clear the last verse consists of:

"Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me (rape me)
Rape me";)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well now gg2 is raping me as i can't go to bed as it sounds damn good so i just need to listen and listen...
Until few hours ago used it with 300b UK design and Chinese recti to let it burn in a bit and initially compare with old gg bal which i used with the same tubes. Now plugged in Elrog 300b with RK recti and this is just mamma mia:rolleyes:...amazing.
On top Elrog sounded in gg quite bad (even UK design was better) but in gg2 is a total different story.

So far so good (fantastic)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Enjoy it. And don’t let anyone steal your thunder
When I got all of them in one place at one time it was cool and scary. Cool to compare what few have done in one place. No need for memory
Scary if it was close and hard to hear a clear path of what’s better.
Happy it was not even close
An audio bud DEEPAK was with me it was his gg2 dac. He had never been to my lab so I’ll bet between me and my manic states and four towers 8 feet tall standing in a room some 16 feet in front. is a lot to take in at one time. An audio bud helped get things to where they are now. It’s a handful and hard to hear and understand in one visit I felt he did well. He commented as we rolled his tubes in his dac and I put some of mine in it.
Maybe it’s easy for me having such a big presentation.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well now gg2 is raping me as i can't go to bed as it sounds damn good so i just need to listen and listen...
Until few hours ago used it with 300b UK design and Chinese recti to let it burn in a bit and initially compare with old gg bal which i used with the same tubes. Now plugged in Elrog 300b with RK recti and this is just mamma mia:rolleyes:...amazing.
On top Elrog sounded in gg quite bad (even UK design was better) but in gg2 is a total different story.

So far so good (fantastic)

Excellent. Enjoy.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Sigh.

the Memory player mini costs $3500. Full blown with Dac can cost up to $55k. A few months back an earlier version of the top stuff was being sold via Head-fi.org for €9k, negotiable. My point is, there are many solutions. Proper byte structure makes the cheapest clock outperform even a neutron star ultra clock in music playback. It's science.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Enjoy it. And don’t let anyone steal your thunder
When I got all of them in one place at one time it was cool and scary. Cool to compare what few have done in one place. No need for memory
Scary if it was close and hard to hear a clear path of what’s better.
Happy it was not even close
An audio bud DEEPAK was with me it was his gg2 dac. He had never been to my lab so I’ll bet between me and my manic states and four towers 8 feet tall standing in a room some 16 feet in front. is a lot to take in at one time. An audio bud helped get things to where they are now. It’s a handful and hard to hear and understand in one visit I felt he did well. He commented as we rolled his tubes in his dac and I put some of mine in it.
Maybe it’s easy for me having such a big presentation.

Goran's gg2 is da bomb. Cant wait to hear it.

ingemar

May 21, 2013
Gothenburg(Sweden)
Sigh.

the Memory player mini costs $3500. Full blown with Dac can cost up to $55k. A few months back an earlier version of the top stuff was being sold via Head-fi.org for €9k, negotiable. My point is, there are many solutions. Proper byte structure makes the cheapest clock outperform even a neutron star ultra clock in music playback. It's science.

Thanks for your advices!I guess i'll try the software solution,do you know where i can buy it??
Kindly/Ingemar

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Just my view
buy a server from Lucas I believe it can be updated so no loss of investment.
The memory software is based on win 10 not win ser 2016. Winson has the software version and loves it. For me it’s still a win 10 sound not like win set 2016 just not in the realm of it. A while back with all the various posts of windows and what was better.
I built a Tri boot server.
Win 10
Win ser 2012
Win ser 2016
The order listed is best on the bottom.

So in conclusion all on the same Machine all LPS
All AO 2.20 on same SS DRIVE with internal second ss drive for music.
It’s an obvious sound scape change.
Now some may not care or hear it and yes win 10 does have less bugs
But if you have a system that yields the ability to hear such changes it’s by far worth it.
Just my two cents in this.

ingemar

May 21, 2013
Gothenburg(Sweden)
Hi Al,just what i thought,i'm also using the 2016 in core so maybe i'll stay there and forget all about about homemade upgrades;)
Kindly/Ingemar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing