Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Well it is possible to get a low output impedance with a tube without a transformer...you can parallel multiple tubes or run a variant of a cathode follower. This will get you under 1K ohm pretty easily but drive could be limited.

This subject of the output impedance. I think it explains why some DACs drive a power amp direct better than others. But what happens with the volume pot in the GG? How does that affect output impedance I wonder.:rolleyes:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It's a stepped resistor ladder, not a volume Pot.

Quite frankly, if the 10:1 rule works here, you need Power amps with 15k ohm input impedance or more and that is quite common. I am sure there is more to ideal matching that just the one measure.

incidentally, in the older lampi Dacs with small signal tubes (not the DHTs) output impedance was in the range of 600 ohms. I suspect the Atlantic line is similar.

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
A quick update on my GG2. I have 200+ hours on it and no longer hear significant changes. In my system notable areas of improvement over my upgraded GG include 1) reduced noise floor and all the associated benefits that come with it, 2) improved dynamics, 3) increased weight/heft to the music and 4) an improved midrange that increases realism of voices and instruments. Together these changes move the GG2 to the next level of performance. I am using Westinghouse replica 101Ds with my 300B amp and KR-PX4s with my solid state amp with very good results. I am using a KR 5U4G rectifier for both. I will need to experiment with my NOS rectifiers next month. Overall I am extremely pleased with this upgrade. Merry Christmas to all!

B4DC6872-A763-4A98-9219-2E93B988253D.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
While you can experiment with your rectifier the one you have is superb. You should try KR PX25, the special EML Lampi 45s, and 242. Though Lukasz is now introducing two more special valves, the zirconium PX4 and 2a3

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys, I’ve been told there are 4 filter options available for the new GG2. Like more analog sounding, more dynamic and detail and others. Has anyone had any experience with these options?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi, any new owners of the GG2? Please, share your experiences.

I am about to place an order for the GG2. After several communications with Lukasz and based on his recommendations, I've decided to go for the following configuration:
  • SE version with Dual mono R2R (includes separate DSD)
  • KR Ricardo Kron 300B + KR242
  • No R2R Filter
Are there any other options I need to consider?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
congrats.
you are in for treat :cool:
Do order the new RK KR 5U4G recti as well
I haven't heard that recti myself but it is said to be excellent

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Aziz....you need to get SuperAmanero usb too. Its new and only one person I know has it. I heard it and its very very nice. A small jump over superclocks. Technically its a higher order design.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Aziz....you need to get SuperAmanero usb too. Its new and only one person I know has it. I heard it and its very very nice. A small jump over superclocks. Technically its a higher order design.

Interesting ?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

Interesting ?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Evolution...not revolution but why not make sure. I think it may be standard now anyway.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

I am interested in the latest USB designs. I am curious if it can surpass other inputs such as using Ethernet or Ethernet to SPDIF. Any ideas on current performance on that? I left USB about 2 years ago but there have been steady improvements since then.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I also can get the Takatsuki recti. Has anyone compared it to the RK one?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Yes, I plan to. I have a description of the new Superamanero. It should be amazing. 6 ultra low noise power supply lines instead of 2 standard ones, two Crystek clocks with independent power supplies, custom firmware etc.
I will check, but it should be part of the standard configuration.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also can get the Takatsuki recti. Has anyone compared it to the RK one?

Instead of the recti I will first spend my budget on alternate output tubes. I haven't heard the RK but compared KR to Tak. Both sound very good, and won't change what you like about the dac.

The 242 is the best when it works... Nothing comes close. But often it doesn't, it is something to do with impedance match with the pre and gain of the system. You will only know after trying. So, if it doesn't do its magic, the other output tubes will make a hell of a difference, between rejection and acceptance. Normally I would have suggested the PX25 and the special Lampi EML 45s, but now he has new tubes and the 845 which he says is the best. So save on the Tak recti and put the money here

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Instead of the recti I will first spend my budget on alternate output tubes. I haven't heard the RK but compared KR to Tak. Both sound very good, and won't change what you like about the dac.

The 242 is the best when it works... Nothing comes close. But often it doesn't, it is something to do with impedance match with the pre and gain of the system. You will only know after trying. So, if it doesn't do its magic, the other output tubes will make a hell of a difference, between rejection and acceptance. Normally I would have suggested the PX25 and the special Lampi EML 45s, but now he has new tubes and the 845 which he says is the best. So save on the Tak recti and put the money here
2 pairs of output tubes should be enough to start with. I can also swap my Takatsuki 300B with RK 300B in the amplifier and try Takatsuki in the Lampi. That would be a 3d pair of output tubes;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh ok didn't know you got the RK 300. Cool.

The Tak recti has a denser mid than the KR, in case your system needs density.

Also ask Lukasz about the 845 tubes

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Oh ok didn't know you got the RK 300. Cool.

The Tak recti has a denser mid than the KR, in case your system needs density.

Also ask Lukasz about the 845 tubes
Didnt your pal say that RK recti edges the KR recti?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing