Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks a lot for the advice! I will try Rothwell attenuators. I guess a "source" option would be a better choice, as I will be able to connect them to the output sockets of the DAC and it will not affect other sources.

Yes.

Unfortunately I think you may find you will lose some sound quality with the Rothwell's in place, especially with other lower output valves.

I definitely found that to be the case. It feels like you can't make up for what you attenuated earlier by increasing the preamp gain to compensate.

Therefore, the attenuation needs to be minor, and of the best quality you can find. Better quality, I think, than the Rothwell's provide.

That's why I went for the best resistors I could get i.e. the silver AN tants.

Try them, though. They're so cheap it is worth you seeing if you agree with me. You may not - but I doubt it:)

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Yes.

Unfortunately I think you may find you will lose some sound quality with the Rothwell's in place, especially with other lower output valves.

I definitely found that to be the case. It feels like you can't make up for what you attenuated earlier by increasing the preamp gain to compensate.

Therefore, the attenuation needs to be minor, and of the best quality you can find. Better quality, I think, than the Rothwell's provide.

That's why I went for the best resistors I could get i.e. the silver AN tants.

Try them, though. They're so cheap it is worth you seeing if you agree with me. You may not - but I doubt it:)
You may be right. I gave it another thought, now I am not sure if understand, what would be an advantage of the “source” version of the attenuators. If I get the normal version, I’ll connect them to input sockets of the preamplifier. The result would be the same.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Excellent though the silver tants are, it would be worth experimenting with something dramatically cheaper like the Takman metal films to find your preferred value. These already sound very good (quieter and better defined than the carbon version) and help avoid the sonically detrimental impact of cheap rca connectors used by external adaptors like Rothwell. Am presuming you guys are just using / planning on using the resistors on the hot leg rather than negative also?

ingemar

May 21, 2013
Gothenburg(Sweden)
Is it not a good idea to make a voltage divider with one res on each leg?

Excellent though the silver tants are, it would be worth experimenting with something dramatically cheaper like the Takman metal films to find your preferred value. These already sound very good (quieter and better defined than the carbon version) and help avoid the sonically detrimental impact of cheap rca connectors used by external adaptors like Rothwell. Am presuming you guys are just using / planning on using the resistors on the hot leg rather than negative also?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Is it not a good idea to make a voltage divider with one res on each leg?

Agreed but I think people have simply been using them in series on hot output. Lampi dacs typically run quite hot on the output voltage, up to 6v rather than the 2v standard

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also make sure what changes you do are easily reversible

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The resistors Lampi installed in mine were 0.25 Watt Takmans (well they looked very like them, if not some other cheap generic high tolerance metal film). They definitely sound OK, but AN tants they ain't. Rothwells don't sound so great. Really, but some of that was the too high a level of attenuation being applied. To be frank, they were unusable at the 15 DB version.

There is more info and pics here if this link works. On my mobile so unsure. Go to the end of the thread and work backwards.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheartofsound%2Enet%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D32378&share_tid=32378&share_fid=4177&share_type=t

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So, is anyone planning to buy the 2000 USD elrog 242?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
So, is anyone planning to buy the 2000 USD elrog 242?

Marc was on about it...

It's a 211 it ain't no KR 242 - completely different valve. Looks bodged together. Better of with a pair of STC 4242 if you want some molybdenum plate 211s IMHO. At least they knew how to work with it!:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No there was a 242. Not 211

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I use the SPDIF input on my GG2 - in fact most of my listening has been done via this. Sounds v good. Not done direct comparisons to USB using the same server though.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
No - pretty sure that has to be USB

Reactions: timztunz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing