Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    After hearing the white based KR 5U4G, and owning the EML 274, I think the Chatham is quite a bit better than either.

Whilst KR and EML make some excellent triodes, I'm not really convinced by their rectifiers so far. I was going to order the KR RK recti, but not now.
    I have to disagree with you regarding the KR 5u4g white base anniversary rectifier.
    As good as the Chatham potatoe masher is (and especially for the price), the KR 5u4g white base anniversary recti is (for me in my GG at least) still a considerable bit better sounding than the Chatham in every category.
    When comparing the Chatham to the EML 274b mesh, I would say it depends on the system. The EML 274b with its airy high range can add some sparkle in a darkish system, whereas the Chatham is more balanced than the EML, it is rather a little on the robust side tonally.
    For me, it is nice to have the Chatham but I would always want to have the KR 5u4g white base or maybe even the RK 5u4g (that I unfortunately haven't heard yet. Same is fact for the Takatsuki 274b).
    Digital: Lampizator SuperKomputer, Lampizator Golden Gate, Resolution Audio Cantata MC
    Preamps: Silvaweld SWC 1000 R, Aries Cerat Incito, Symphonic Line "Die Erleuchtung"
    Poweramps: KR Audio Kronzilla SX, Lamm M 1.1, KR Audio VA 350, Sphinx Project 14 mk3, Luxman M03
    Integrated amps: Ayon Crossfire III, KR Audio VA 350i
    Horn Speakers: hORNS Universum, Odeon No. 38, Living Voice Air Scout, Odeon Midas
    Dipole Speakers: Apogee Studio Grand, Apogee Centaur Major, Acoustat Spectra 22

Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    I have to disagree with you regarding the KR 5u4g white base anniversary rectifier.
    As good as the Chatham potatoe masher is (and especially for the price), the KR 5u4g white base anniversary recti is (for me in my GG at least) still a considerable bit better sounding than the Chatham in every category.
    When comparing the Chatham to the EML 274b mesh, I would say it depends on the system. The EML 274b with its airy high range can add some sparkle in a darkish system, whereas the Chatham is more balanced than the EML, it is rather a little on the robust side tonally.
    For me, it is nice to have the Chatham but I would always want to have the KR 5u4g white base or maybe even the RK 5u4g (that I unfortunately haven't heard yet. Same is fact for the Takatsuki 274b).
    People should disagree with me. I expect them to.

If you were here in my room with my current set up you might change your mind. And with me in your room and system I might. But then again...

All this stuff is fine tuning for anyone's system and ears.

I just love the way that Chatham is built, though. It is a seriously rugged, brick shithouse affair, albeit butt ugly in a cool, obtuse way.

Addicted to Best!
    Had a chance to get some more listening in with the masher.

Initially it was tonally different, seemed to be less transparent than my EML 5U4G mesh, and delivered less bass (measurably so).

However after around twenty hrs it matches the EML in all respects. It might be, marginally, less airy but sounds very even and plays loudly slightly more comfortably - had a brief comparison to vinyl and it produces a very similar sound no tonal difference, bit less rhythm, swing and presence on blue note album. Overall works as an excellent replacement for the EML 5U4G.

would be very interesting to try out the new RK KR 5U4G

Quote Originally Posted by dctom View Post

Initially it was tonally different, seemed to be less transparent than my EML 5U4G mesh, and delivered less bass (measurably so).

However after around twenty hrs it matches the EML in all respects. It might be, marginally, less airy but sounds very even and plays loudly slightly more comfortably - had a brief comparison to vinyl and it produces a very similar sound no tonal difference, bit less rhythm, swing and presence on blue note album. Overall works as an excellent replacement for the EML 5U4G.

My new (used) GG arrived from Poland on Wed. Still waiting for the arrival of the DHT's (EML Lampi anniversay Globe Mesh 45s). The seller included an EML rectifier, and I bought a new RK KR 5U4G rectifier. The seller of the Globe mesh 45s is including a Shuguang rectifier and I have a spare Ceton potato masher (used in my amps). So I will have quite a few rectifiers to experiment with the 45's. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Larry
    Analog-VPI Classic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2A,2xAmpexATR102+Doshi3.0
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-MergingNADAC mch,Roon/HQP,Oppo95
    Electronics-HerronVTSP360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-ArtKelmGround1,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecor dFlat
    Scott Rust Interconnects,Switch,Symmetric Power Supply
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by dctom View Post

My new (used) GG arrived from Poland on Wed. Still waiting for the arrival of the DHT's (EML Lampi anniversay Globe Mesh 45s). The seller of the GG included an EML rectifier but no DHTs, and I bought a new RK KR 5U4G rectifier from Lampi. The seller of the Globe mesh 45s is including a Shuguang rectifier and I have a spare Ceton potato masher (used in my amps). So I will have quite a few rectifiers to experiment with the 45's. DHT's Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Larry
    Analog-VPI Classic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2A,2xAmpexATR102+Doshi3.0

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    My new (used) GG arrived from Poland on Wed. Still waiting for the arrival of the DHT's (EML Lampi anniversay Globe Mesh 45s). The seller of the GG included an EML rectifier but no DHTs, and I bought a new RK KR 5U4G rectifier from Lampi. The seller of the Globe mesh 45s is including a Shuguang rectifier and I have a spare Ceton potato masher (used in my amps). So I will have quite a few rectifiers to experiment with the 45's. DHT's Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Larry
    I'm very curious about your findings.
    With all that nice gear and excellent tubes, you are in for a treat
    Do you also happen to have access to my favorite KR 242 output tubes?
    They don't work in every system, but if they do, they are magical
    Digital: Lampizator SuperKomputer, Lampizator Golden Gate, Resolution Audio Cantata MC
    Preamps: Silvaweld SWC 1000 R, Aries Cerat Incito, Symphonic Line "Die Erleuchtung"
    Poweramps: KR Audio Kronzilla SX, Lamm M 1.1, KR Audio VA 350, Sphinx Project 14 mk3, Luxman M03
    Horn Speakers: hORNS Universum, Odeon No. 38, Living Voice Air Scout, Odeon Midas

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    People should disagree with me. I expect them to.

If you were here in my room with my current set up you might change your mind. And with me in your room and system I might. But then again...

All this stuff is fine tuning for anyone's system and ears.

I just love the way that Chatham is built, though. It is a seriously rugged, brick shithouse affair, albeit butt ugly in a cool, obtuse way.
    You are absolutely right about system synergy and taste.
    All that counts is that it matches your personal system and your own taste
    Nothing else matters

Larry how do the globes sound and also he CHINESE recti as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrainbow View Post
    Larry how do the globes sound and also he CHINESE recti as well.
    Thanks, Al. They should be here tomorrow! Larry

They told me Monday as in last Monday really. I paid 72 for shipping wow

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627