Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Double mica 5r4gy...they come in many brands...all the same. Haltron,CEI, Mazda,Zaerix, etc. Dont get Fivre or Marconi as they are way overpriced.

Right, ok, thanks Norman - same one as for the Psvane UK 300B’s then.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Double mica 5r4gy...they come in many brands...all the same. Haltron,CEI, Mazda,Zaerix, etc. Dont get Fivre or Marconi as they are way overpriced.

So this double mica is better than KR or Tak?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The Mazda is a nice tube and does sound good on some tubes. It consider this it’s a nos not a new tube and a recti burns at full throttle playing music or not. For me better to buy new and the red CHINESE one is new and works well on par with the Mazda but does work better on some more than the Mazda. Just my two cents

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The taks don’t do well on all tubes ina non pacific so your comment has merit
And no the double Mazda overall is not in the league of those tubes. It it’s also clear some DACs and tube combos don’t do well with the better recti group. I own some 15 recti tubes they each have a sound and the sound varies with DACs and output tubes

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Cris you keep going back to coz you don’t have the taks hahahaa

That is sad but true, I have not yet heard the Takatsuki 274b :(
But apart from the Taka, I listened to my fair share of rectis and still like the KR 5u4g the most :D

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
On a short list it’s top 4 or 5. But when Norman gives you the pacific well it’s a shame you don’t have a set of taks lol.
Cris I will always be gtratfulmfor your help and kindness in the Lampi thread
Thanks always

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I own them too. In the pacific the tak or we nos rules but some may like the 242 more and you don’t need a 900 tak recti for it.
Thanks, just to clarify, you have compared RK 300b to Tak 300b and found that Tak tubes are superior? I plan to do a comparison of RK 300 to 242 to Takatsuki 300b. Is it OK to use RK recti for this or should I try to get hold of Tak recti?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes
May I ask what dac you have I own many tubes not to shout on here.
If you ask I’ll comment but know always my views and I own a gg2 dac and has the Pacific DAC for 4 weeks

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Sorry I missed the last part both recti are good but if you can borrow a tak recti do so. It’s more refined in details and is better in some setups but not all. I also own a few nos we 274b and nos we 300b as well.
To me only the pacific plays 300b tubes well. The others show bloat and uneven sound

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Sorry I missed the last part both recti are good but if you can borrow a tak recti do so. It’s more refined in details and is better in some setups but not all. I also own a few nos we 274b and nos we 300b as well.
To me only the pacific plays 300b tubes well. The others show bloat and uneven sound

Interestingly bloat and unevenness was exactly how my Psvane UK 300B's sounded with the Tak recti - they sounded pretty dreadful, really closed in and rolled off at both ends - as soon as I swapped the Tak out for the Zaerix 5R4GY that Norman recommended to me, it was like the 300B's were completely different tubes. I was really surprised as the improvement the Tak brought to the 242's over the EML 5U4G was immediately obvious, so I had automatically assumed it would translate to the 300B's.

I think there definitely has to be a certain synergy between the recti and the main output tubes to get the best out of the latter.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Anyone tried EML PX4 Mesh or EML 300B Mesh?

Also, looking at the internal construction of the EML 45 Mesh, I can't see any difference between that and the 6th Anniversary 45 Mesh apart from the top of tube supports, base and printing. Really there is none, or at least nothing you can see. Anyone got both and if so can they confirm if they sound the same?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As my fav tubes are loaned out I have been trying many tubes to get the sound of my favs
Now I am playing a new nos pair rca 2A3 tiny tubes compared to the eml mesh giants
Not bad but a little strident on piano with the cheap recti so I rolled the kron 5u4g much better it took the top off a bit and added some weight
I still have dynamics and shimmer but a better tone on paino.
If anyone asks me why a Lampi as I have owned a bunch of DACs including a 40k msb it’s for the tube rolling
Sonics matter to each of us in many way ways. A Lampi can have so many faces each being magical
Some get stuck on the fact we need to try some tubes to hit perfection. It if one thinks it’s cheap and tubes can always be sold
Read others thoughts on tube rolling some where in one is your sound to get.

I made a comment about recti being not as important on the pacific I would like to add some clarity to it
It matters plenty but not as like other Lampi DACs
It still makes or breaks a tube set and bad ones are still bad.
But on a pacific the dac is so refined it shows good in all we use in it
I hope this makes sense to you guys.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes
May I ask what dac you have I own many tubes not to shout on here.
If you ask I’ll comment but know always my views and I own a gg2 dac and has the Pacific DAC for 4 weeks

Anyone tried EML PX4 Mesh or EML 300B Mesh?

Also, looking at the internal construction of the EML 45 Mesh, I can't see any difference between that and the 6th Anniversary 45 Mesh apart from the top of tube supports, base and printing. Really there is none, or at least nothing you can see. Anyone got both and if so can they confirm if they sound the same?

45 mesh globe sounds better than regular eml 45 mesh. Eml 300b mesh is nothing to write home about. Slow and mechanical. Psvane uk design beats it and psvane WE replica 300b is again better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing