Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Golden Gate 2 Reactions

In April of this year I had my GG upgraded to include the R2R, superclocks, 512 DSD, Etc.. Subsequently a relay failed on my volume control that required me to send the GG back to Poland for warranty work. While it was there I heard about the new Pacific and the Golden Gate 2. As I am now retired I knew the Pacific would be more than I would want to spend so I reached out to my favorite US distributor Fred, aka Gopher, regarding the upgrade to the GG2. Below is his description of the upgrade.

“A few of the things the Golden Gate 2 will get are:

- Lukasz' own new design super clocks (better than the Crystek and very close to the Pulsars the Pacific will get)
    - auto-switching between DSD and PCM (this gives best sq between two formats)
    - updated firmware to allow native DSD up to 512 in linux
    - a new psu scheme and main analog pcb
    - power supply capacitors
    - a new tube heating scheme which contributes to the lowest noise floor possible
    - a much improved volume control (relays and a metal remote)
    - new custom footers by STACORE
    - a new AC filter built in
    - new grounding scheme with grounding lug

It will also get a new birth certificate and spec sheet and five year warranty as a new DAC.”

Everything was as described except the firmware. It is still limited to DOP 256 for DSD and is being worked on.

So how does it sound? In my system it sounds stunning, simply stunning. In my opinion this upgrade totally redefines the GG. It is much more than a few tweaks. The foundational level of the music has increased dramatically. Bass, mid bass and lower mids are all much fuller. It adds a gravitas to the music that the previous version was lacking. Resolution and transparency are also improved, but I tend not to notice them as the music is so engaging. The new grounding scheme makes for a blacker background. The music just flows.

A few other comments as follows:

The R2R and DSD 512 now auto switch.

With the digital volume control you get a slight clicking when you change the volume remotely. I had the same clicking in a preamp I previously owned with digital volume control.

When you go to the standby mode by either pressing the button on the front of the unit or by pushing “off” on the remote the rectifier is totally deenergized, but now some current is still applied to the power tubes so they remain very warm to the touch. You may want to inquire about having all the tubes deenergized if you live in a warm climate.

The new metal remote is much, much nicer than the old plastic one.

There are now 2 separate switches on the back to designate tube selection.

You will definitely want to add a grounding cable. There was a noticeable decrease in background noise when I added the cable.

I like the solid base the Stacore footers provide versus the rollerblocks that were used previously.

For those of you not moving to the Pacific, you definitely need to consider the upgrade to GG2. It offers a large step change in performance. I do not think you will be disappointed.

(Usual disclaimer. I have no affiliation with Lampizator, just a very happy customer.)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mr. P.

Can you please tell me what caps you had in your GG, and now have in your GG2? Also, what tubes you are using?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Thanks Mr. P.

Can you please tell me what caps you had in your GG, and now have in your GG2? Also, what tubes you are using?
    Jupiter caps in my original GG. Did not look to see if they were changed as part of the GG2 upgrade.

For tubes I switch between:
    JAN RCA 5U4G Blackplate (VT244 Military Style) with PSVANE 101Ds (Metal Base)
    And
    KR Audio 5U4G with KR PX-4s.

Is this GG MKII? Just have a look at the smaller tubes.
    Name:  905362A6-BC1A-4534-8D85-482BD49B5EDF.jpeg
Views: 644
Size:  78.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Yes there are those tubes as well. Personally will get rid of those 101D output replicas now, there are better tubes. They are dynamic but less tone and dimensionality
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

What are the smaller tubes for? Are they for the active triode loading, the same as in the Pacific?

Blog Entries
    Same as Pacific but not sure exactly what the technical function is

Interesting, Mr.P did not say anything about active triode loading in his GG2.
    Mr. P, does your GG2 have the smaller tubes like in the above picture?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I think they are optional. I heard one with.

Hi guys.

I just want to correct something here. Yes, you are looking at active triode loading, but that is a prototype model and not a commercial GG2. The Golden Gate 2 will not have active triode loading available (standard or optional). Aside from not fitting the chassis alongside all of the other components which are in the commercial version of the GG2, this feature will be reserved for the Pacific.

Best,

Fred A.

P.S. This information is from Lukasz directly. I'm speaking to him as I post this.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast