Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge for Triplanar arm?

Cartridge for Triplanar arm?

Dear All,

I would be interested in suggestions for a new cartridge which would work well on a Triplanar arm. I currently have a Tranfi Proteus but would like to try something new. A Dynavector XV–1s come to my mind but there must be other options. Would perhaps an Etsuro Urushi work? Any ideas are welcome. Phono stage is an Allnic H3000.

I used to own a triplanar. It’s a great arm. One of my favorite cartridges to mate with it is a Allaerts mc2 finish. I also used a Lyra atlas. Maybe the Lyra Etna although I haven’t tried it ...

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Barry's Avatar
    I'm using a Lyra Etna on a Triplanar VII. A terrific cartridge and works great with it.

Member Sponsor Senior Member Marcus's Avatar
    I used to own Triplanar too. FWIW, my favorite cartridge was Benz LP...
    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2 (ordered); Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Interconnects: Cardas Clear Beyond; Speaker cables: Cardas Clear Beyond; Power cords: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty;Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik (SMT);

Thanks for the tips so far. The Lyra Etna seems to be very popular and certainly something I will try to audition. I hadn't thought of the Jan Allaerts MC2 and will need to check it out. On paper it looks like a very good option as well. Maybe someone is able to share some ideas how these cartridges compare?

The Benz LP is no longer in production and the Benz LP S doesn't seem to be a direct successor model?

Member Sponsor Senior Member Marcus's Avatar
    It is. It’s just heavier and has MR sylus.
    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2 (ordered); Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Interconnects: Cardas Clear Beyond; Speaker cables: Cardas Clear Beyond; Power cords: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty;Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik (SMT);

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    Gemini,

I also use the Allnic H3000. I also use a KR Audio 5U4G rectifier tube, and recomend these wholeheartedly. The cart that I have recently started using with it is the new and little known about Aidas PanzerHolz Diamond. It is very very good, and sensible cost with a specification above anything at this price point, ie, PanzerHolz body, Sapphire cantilever, MicroFine polished diamond stylus. Record surface is noise is non existent, this is cd quiet between tracks, which is exceptional. I use a SEAC WE506, not Triplanar tonearm.

Good luck in your search
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Ayon CD transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

I have two triplanar

I use dynavector’s either xx2 or XV, with great success

Also Carnegie mc1

I use the damping, and removed the bias weight, and replaced the wiring with silver wire
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I always liked Koetsus on Tri-planar arms. I have my Jade on my 7U2.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Thank you for all the fresh ideas.
    I have not heard about the Aidas cartridge before.
    @Jack: I would have thought that Koetsus (13 grm.) are too heavy for the Triplanar which is said to prefer medium-weight cartridges?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast