TAD DA1000 click just before playback starts

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
My TAD DA1000 makes a clicking sound (it sounds to me like a relay engaging but I'm not sure) that i can hear just before (circa 0.5 seconds) the DA1000 starts playing a track and just after it stops. I mostly use it to play music via the USB input but this occurs with optical inputs not just the USB. From what i can see, the click sounds when the DA1000 display changes from -- to the frequency of the sound file, e.g., 96 or 192. Has anyone experienced this with their DA1000? is this a fault? I'd be grateful for your feedback and advice

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
I don't know whether that noise is normal or not for your model DAC, but it's possible that the DAC's output muting circuit is not functioning properly, assuming that it has one. The designers may have simply omitted a muting circuit as these have developed a reputation for sometimes degrading the sound. I have an homebrew DAC without a muting circuit and it makes a brief and muffled 'tick' sound after a CD in the connected transport has finished loading it's table-of-contents.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing