Sony BRAVIA OR BRAVIA OLED

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'd love to get an OLED for main Santa Cruz living room viewer. We still have the much reviled KDSR50XBR1 from 2005, which still has the creamy, cinematic SXRD picture albeit not very good dark performance. Unless it broke, my wife wouldn't be happy if I just bought a new one. She still watches low def channels instead of switching to the high def versions because she only has to push one digit channel number on the remote instead of three digits for the hi def.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
the LG 65" OLED is only $2300 this week at Amazon. Yowsers

I have one. If you got the coin, do it. You'll never look back.

Also, absent having the TV calibrated by a professional, use the CNET settings posted on the internet. Well worthwhile and costs $0.00.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If you have a fair monthly income, or a decent balance in your bank account, or some bitcoin investment...this, is one of the very best television sets alive today:

? https://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/sony-xbr65a1e-review/

Also comes in a 77" Class size.
___

• Pros/Cons: https://www.technavio.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-buying-an-oled-tv-before-2019
___

Hi Bob,

I normally enjoy your posts and attached info.

Having said that, the "bonus video" is quite disgusting. The swearing, the anger, the self righteous attitude, etc. are so childish and unprofessional, I'm amazed you provided the link and found it "humurous". This guy obviously has it out for LG and is a shill boy for Sony. Sorry to say that in light of your numerous informative, positive posts but I have to ask what were you thinking?

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Seems like we're reaching a tipping point where replacing my old Panny plasma won't be so financially painful but I'm still going to wait a few more years, assuming my Panny survives that long. Prices keep on dropping and the sets keep getting better...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Bob,

I normally enjoy your posts and attached info.

Having said that, the "bonus video" is quite disgusting. The swearing, the anger, the self righteous attitude, etc. are so childish and unprofessional, I'm amazed you provided the link and found it "humurous". This guy obviously has it out for LG and is a shill boy for Sony. Sorry to say that in light of your numerous informative, positive posts but I have to ask what were you thinking?

Thank you. I normally don't post videos or pictures or words that contain swearing, or other negatives.
I apologize for not thinking better; you are right. This young man just swears too much.

I'm deleting this video now, but I realise the done damage; I am sincerely sorry.
Your opinion to me has more value than anything else.

P.S. I also removed two more videos and some writings.
The thread is now totally cleaned up, except for only one very small thing; if you can delete that video from your quote. Thank you. I take deep @ heart your honesty and open frankness.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've got that Sony Bravia, the AE1 65 inch in the video, upstairs in my rec room in my barn above my 2 channel room.

love it. had it for 5 months. astonishing picture, quite good sound with the screen speakers. has worked perfectly. superlative look and build quality.

highly recommended.

IDK if people caught onto this but the screen is the speaker (w/sub on the back). People have set up big systems using these kinds of actuators w/plastic panels but I never thought it'd make it's way into mainstream. Now that it has, it's possible speakers on screened devices will become obsolete...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's a good point; the speaker on my tablet and phone is in the rear.
If I put my tablet or phone on a surface the speaker is blocked.
It would be better to have the screen as the speaker, as it is in the Sony OLED A1E model.

As for the lower frequencies, I still have a headphone jack.
If not, wireless Bluetooth.

The subwoofer on a phone or tablet could be patented; from the phone and tablet's sides. Or, the entire rear surface, from tactile vibes.
___

? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...er-sony-ae1-vs-lg-c7-thread.html#post55183404

? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...tv-thread-no-price-talk-228.html#post55190168

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
IDK if people caught onto this but the screen is the speaker (w/sub on the back). People have set up big systems using these kinds of actuators w/plastic panels but I never thought it'd make it's way into mainstream. Now that it has, it's possible speakers on screened devices will become obsolete...

for me, this just works and makes so much sense. previously I had a Samsung 55 inch that bit the dust and it had a separate sound bar hanging down and a separate sub. the Sony likely sounds a little better if I had to choose. and it's elegant and less to go wrong with. the problem with the Samsung was I lost sound, and it was not practical to repair (so justified the spend to the wife).

I have a full blown separate 7.1 Home Theatre with 110" 2:35-1 screen and 4k FP in the house I never use.....which does sound very good, but I watch football and the occasional 4K content (love Planet Earth II in 4k) and am ready for sports in 4K streaming with the AE1.

not cheap.....but I got a pretty good deal on-line. added the Oppo 203....and i'm good to go. it's silly good and on the best 4k material I get lost in the experience.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Seems like we're reaching a tipping point where replacing my old Panny plasma won't be so financially painful but I'm still going to wait a few more years, assuming my Panny survives that long. Prices keep on dropping and the sets keep getting better...

Hi Dave,

Had a Panny plasma. Left it with my house in Jackson when I moved. Great picture for its time. Having said that, the LG OLED is in an entirely different league.

dude

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FWIW, I bought this one yesterday at the start of Black Friday.

it is the same 4K OLED used in all of the Dolby sound and video rooms as it is one of the few 4K OLED TV's that are also HDR . Apple TV not only streams in 4K but also in HDR

I bought the 55" for $1499. When Dolby started using this TV it had an MSRP of $8K

They also have the 65" version also with HDR for $2299

LG Electronics OLED55B7A 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV

Totally agree that LG is in a different league than Sony

Several years ago at CES Sony, LG and Samsung had their OLED TV's on display in the same room and IMHO the Sony was the weakest of the 3. To buy the LG for me was a no brainer inasmuch as we got called yesterday by people we know who are higher ups at Dolby and they said we'd be nuts not to grab this TV.I have no need for the 65"

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
I think that Sony's only other OLED TV prior to 2017 was an 11" model back in about 2008.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I think that Sony's only other OLED TV prior to 2017 was an 11" model back in about 2008.

LOL. Yes, never let the truth get in the way of a 3 way comparison that could not have existed. Add the fact that Samsung have never released an OLED tv.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I was wondering if there was a technical reason they didn't do 4K OLED in the 42 to 46 inch range. I would think they would sell a jillion of them if they made them.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

it is the same 4K OLED used in all of the Dolby sound and video rooms as it is one of the few 4K OLED TV's that are also HDR . Apple TV not only streams in 4K but also in HDR

Congrats, Steve! Enjoy real blacks and the heightened sense of reality it brings, together with 4K.

Do you have a 4K Blu-ray Player to go with it?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I was wondering if there was a technical reason they didn't do 4K OLED in the 42 to 46 inch range. I would think they would sell a jillion of them if they made them.

Cost. Extremely price sensitive at these sizes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Congrats, Steve! Enjoy real blacks and the heightened sense of reality it brings, together with 4K.

Do you have a 4K Blu-ray Player to go with it?

The Sony 800 is only $150 right now, on sale. And then there are the Oppos of course, the 203 and 205, $550 and $1,300 respectively.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I’m about to buy the C7 2017 model. Is there any particular reason you went with a 2016 model other than saving $200 ?

I bought the 55" for $1499. When Dolby started using this TV it had an MSRP of $8K

They also have the 65" version also with HDR for $2299

LG Electronics OLED55B7A 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV

Totally agree that LG is in a different league than Sony

Several years ago at CES Sony, LG and Samsung had their OLED TV's on display in the same room and IMHO the Sony was the weakest of the 3. To buy the LG for me was a no brainer inasmuch as we got called yesterday by people we know who are higher ups at Dolby and they said we'd be nuts not to grab this TV.I have no need for the 65"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing