Remembering Arnie Nudell (1937-2017) founder of high-end audio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for this thread. Magnificent designer, magnificent speakers...and yes, they do indeed live on. What a tremendous legacy. The torch is now officially passed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is really a fascinating and enjoyable chapter on Arnie Nudell beginnings at Infinity and a very interesting interview from 2013, currently freely accessible.

From the TAS site http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/infinity-co-founder-arnie-nudell-19372017/

To celebrate the Arnie's life and share with you his remarkable story, we've provided the chapter on Infinity Systems as a PDF from The Absolute Sound's Illustrated History of High-End Audio, Volume One: Loudspeakers. Please download the PDF here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sl6ndfi76o19dg/Infinity%20profile%20from%20TAS%20Illustrated%20History%20of%20High-End%20Audio.pdf?dl=0

Reactions: Bodhi

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yes, Mike Kay was one of those special people in the industry too. If it weren't for him, Mark Levinson and Arnie Nudell wouldn't have got off the starting blocks.

Having worked for over a decade for Mike Kay I must say that Mike was extremely generous to many in the audio Industry including Arnie and Mark. We were the largest High End dealer for Infinity and at one time were exclusive for the IRS and also for Mark Levinson.
Lyric had a lot of things going for it. It was in the largest market and Mike ran a business that made money. Most audio stores then were just getting their feet wet with High End while Lyric was the temple of the high end and everyone from around the world came there to see and hear the products that were being represented and actually stocked. Lyric was offered everything first and Mike always tried to help new companies. The list is endless and his place in my opinion in the pantheon of the HE is very unknown and understated.
Arnie, Harry P and Mike Kay were my mentors and I was privileged to get to hang and drink with them as well as learn a ton about listening and music. My fondest memories come from that time .I always will remember going to Carnegie Hall at Christmas time to hear Beethoven's 9 with the LA Philharmonic with full chorus directed by Gullini with the 3 wise men of Audio . The dinners were legendary and for a kid from LI who never before had caviar or great wine they became memories that have lasted my entire life.
RIP to Arnie, Harry and to my second father Mike Kay

Peace.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Yesterday I just happen to pick a copy of TAS at random out of my TAS library. It was the December 1980 issue. Inside I noticed the second installment of HP's first review of the IRS, along with Arnie's manufacturer's comments - still relevant 37 years later, and the subjects of countless postings on internet forums, so I thought some of you might be interested in reading the comments.

IMG_3286.jpg IMG_3297.jpg IMG_3292.jpg

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Having worked for over a decade for Mike Kay I must say that Mike was extremely generous to many in the audio Industry including Arnie and Mark. We were the largest High End dealer for Infinity and at one time were exclusive for the IRS and also for Mark Levinson.
Lyric had a lot of things going for it. It was in the largest market and Mike ran a business that made money. Most audio stores then were just getting their feet wet with High End while Lyric was the temple of the high end and everyone from around the world came there to see and hear the products that were being represented and actually stocked. Lyric was offered everything first and Mike always tried to help new companies. The list is endless and his place in my opinion in the pantheon of the HE is very unknown and understated.
Arnie, Harry P and Mike Kay were my mentors and I was privileged to get to hang and drink with them as well as learn a ton about listening and music. My fondest memories come from that time .I always will remember going to Carnegie Hall at Christmas time to hear Beethoven's 9 with the LA Philharmonic with full chorus directed by Gullini with the 3 wise men of Audio . The dinners were legendary and for a kid from LI who never before had caviar or great wine they became memories that have lasted my entire life.
RIP to Arnie, Harry and to my second father Mike Kay

Peace.

Although I have one of Arnie’s loudspeakers in house (Genesis 1.1) I hesitated to join this thread because I never met Arnie. When we distributed Genesis loudspeakers in the Benelux many, many moons ago we used to have contact with Paul. The touching contribution of Elliot regarding Arnie, Harry Pearson and Mike Kay bring back fond memories, for example when Paul joined one of our hifi shows in Amsterdam. Some of my friends and I showed Paul some interesting sites in Amsterdam and of course we talked in depth about the various Genesis loudspeakers that were available at the time and the people involved.

Time flies and since our meeting in Amsterdam quite some ‘audio heroes’ have left us. It is really sad to hear that Arnie joined this list of my ‘audio heroes’. To remember him I listen at the moment to the very moving Passacaille of Ravel’s piano trio in A minor. May Arnie rest in peace.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Last week, I bumped into an old friend during the local Hi Fi Show and he immediately alerted me that there was an IRS Beta in one of the room exhibits. He knew that I was a fan of that series of loudspeakers from Infinity and he himself is no stranger to Infinity products and more specially, to Arnie Nudell. His name is Robert Tan. Gary, you may have met him or talked to him, as he was the importer of Arnie's Genesis line of speakers, at the infancy of the company established by Arnie and Paul McGowen. He brought in many Genesis models in the 90s, and to this day, still has not one but 2 units of New Old Stock Genesis Model 2 in his warehouse. He was also the man behind importation of the only model 1.1 in the Philippines, sold via a dealer. And to my surprise, he only knew about the passing of Arnie during the Manila HiFi Show, via that same exhibitor of the vintage IRS Beta. He showed me a picture of him with Arnie, and family, plus Paul's family members, in his visit to Arnie's factory in Denver while was importing the Genesis line of speakers. He told me how much he treasure those moments, of being in the home of a late great audio legend, and the main thing that has impressed in his mind is that is in one room, in all walls were photos of Albert Einstein.

25319961_10208609443833626_767523901_o (1).jpg

25346579_10208609443113608_1472439819_o.jpg

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
One of the true industry giants .... RiP

Been a huge influence on my speaker journey. Infinity RS2.5 1980-1992; RS1b 1992-1997; Genesis 201 1997 - present.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, Phil. There are quite a few of the large Genesis and Infinity speakers in the Philippines. I do hope to make another visit one day.

That would be nice, Gary. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Paul is working on finishing the prototype of the loudspeaker Arnie was working on with PS Audio when he passed away.

Last edited:

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Wow. They are still working on it? Here's a photo of the Genesis 3 with Gary setting them up at Alexis Park at CES 2006. We had to use two pairs of Gary's new monoblock tube amps (no longer available) in parallel to run them because the impedance was so low, they shorted out all of Gary's solid state amps. Gary designed the cabinet. The curvature is modeled after Claudia Schiffer's *ahem* booty. ;) Everybody - men and women both - could not resist petting them and speculated they were modeled on J-Lo but Gary thinks Claudia has a nicer booty. :cool:

G3_CES2006.jpg

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Infinity Systems, circa 1970, at first Infinity building on Knap St., Chatsworth CA.
Front row: Cary Christie, John Ulrick, and Arnie Nudell

612arnie.promo_.jpg

Reactions: christoph

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you Bodhi for the video. Many of Arnie's creations are still in use over 40 years into their lives. Here's one I recently visited, an older IRS-IV that would be celebrating its 30th birthday this year.

Henry Vietnam.jpg

I hope that in 30 years time, I'll still see some of my creations still loved by their owners! In contrast, this one is just 3 years old :D:D:D

Prime.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow. They are still working on it? Here's a photo of the Genesis 3 with Gary setting them up at Alexis Park at CES 2006. We had to use two pairs of Gary's new monoblock tube amps (no longer available) in parallel to run them because the impedance was so low, they shorted out all of Gary's solid state amps. Gary designed the cabinet. The curvature is modeled after Claudia Schiffer's *ahem* booty. ;) Everybody - men and women both - could not resist petting them and speculated they were modeled on J-Lo but Gary thinks Claudia has a nicer booty. :cool:

View attachment 45711

Haha I completely missed this. We had women coming up stroking them and asking their husbands "Honey, why don't you buy these instead of Darth Vader you have in our living room."

Unfortunately, we never finished this - Arnie retired shortly after CES2006 and he wanted them as his retirement present. The company that made the 30-inch planar midrange stopped selling them to OEM customers. The crossovers had a low impedance of 0.8 ohms around 500Hz - exactly where lots of power would be drawn, and as Carol said, testing them before we shipped to Las Vegas, these beauties blew up all the solid-state amps that I had.

I would have loved to put that cabinet into production, but the cost would have been prohibitive. The CNC shop complained that I was trying to get them to CNC an egg.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
I’ve owned four main speaker pair systems in my lifetime. A set of AR12 bought in high school and killed in college (NOT a good party speaker - tweeters would blow if you looked at them wrong). Then it was all Nudell after that beginning with the oddly shaped Infinity RS2.5, through the superb RS1b and since about 2001 the sublime Genesis 200/201.

Reactions: carolkoh

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing