What's a recommanded Speaker set for Rock music (Turntable)?

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
Hello,

My current clumsy 5.1 speaker set is nearly dying, and I'm considering moving to a new one, which will also fit better for my needs.
I have very little understanding of which kind of speakers are good for each use, but I assume it will be stereo towers, not sure if a sub-woofer is necessary.

What would I do with it?
Mostly listen to Rock music. Do genres really matter?
If you could recommend which are good for Rock, or explain what features make it good for Rock, so that I can look myself.

What would it be connected to?
- A turntable, via a Cambridge pre-amp.
- on the digital side, a PC via an M-Audio interface.
An RCA switch splitter connects them both to the speaker set.

What are the surrounding?
It's prime job is to fill a room with music. It should not be pointed at the PC chair, but rather at the whole room.
It is, however, planned to be set on a desk.

What's the budget?
My understanding of this market is too minimal, so I would not set a budget before understanding what is a reasonable price for a decent set.
It is likely that I will not go for a high end set. Anything about average and below will be good to consider.

If possible, I'd like to have as much product names dropped here as possible, since not all electronics products are available at where I live.

Thanks!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speaker set as in 5.1 set?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
If you really want to fill the whole room, you will need ribbons or Omni-directional speakers. The ribbons I used as my company reference for many years have amazing slam because they have been completely modded with new crossovers, port tuning, wiring and connectors. I used ribbons because at trade shows you need a speaker that sounds the same everywhere in the room. These also worked nicely for surround movies.

Your center channel speaker should be something different so it can be placed either below or above the screen. I like the B&W 805 series. Very clear on dialogue.

These full-range ribbons image nicely no matter where you are sitting or standing in the room, and they don't lose any high-frequencies when you stand-up. They are also seamless from the ribbon to the bassbox. I got ear crushing sound from 30-watt SET tube monoblock amps, so they are quite efficient. I didn't have them more than 30 inches from the backwall either.

I have recently gotten Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers, so I am selling these reference ribbon speakers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151272.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
If you really want to fill the whole room, you will need ribbons or Omni-directional speakers. The ribbons I used as my company reference for many years have amazing slam because they have been completely modded with new crossovers, port tuning, wiring and connectors. I used ribbons because at trade shows you need a speaker that sounds the same everywhere in the room. These also worked nicely for surround movies.

Your center channel speaker should be something different so it can be placed either below or above the screen. I like the B&W 805 series. Very clear on dialogue.

These full-range ribbons image nicely no matter where you are sitting or standing in the room, and they don't lose any high-frequencies when you stand-up. They are also seamless from the ribbon to the bassbox. I got ear crushing sound from 30-watt SET tube monoblock amps, so they are quite efficient. I didn't have them more than 30 inches from the backwall either.

I have recently gotten Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers, so I am selling these reference ribbon speakers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151272.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

It is a small room, possibly you have gone too far with the "fill a room" thing.
The point was that it should not be pointed at a certain chair or a spot.

Anyway, are these recommended for music (specifically Rock music)?
By centre channel, does it mean that they are 3 pieces? Not only a stereo pair? Is it necessary for music?

And are there any more good ideas?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
It is a small room, possibly you have gone too far with the "fill a room" thing.

It's a benefit to be able to stand up and walk around and still get a good stereo image and high frequencies.

How small is your room?

I use them with all genres of music. They have the slam for rock and the delicate detail for classical. Great for cymbols and drums.

By centre channel, does it mean that they are 3 pieces? Not only a stereo pair? Is it necessary for music?

Just 2 speakers. I use them for both 2-channel and home theater. The center channel speaker is not for sale.

You will spend more than $10k to get this kind of sound quality elsewhere. More like $20K.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
If the speakers are designed well you should be able to move around with very little change to the sound and always maintaining a strong center image.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Id say a used wilson system 7 is a nice well designed speaker for not to big a room , and i ve heard them quite good on rock, you just need a good 100 -160 watt per channel Solidstate amp , doesnt need to be that fancy , digital ... anything goes lol

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

And are there any more good ideas?

One of the best small speakers for small rooms is the Vapor Audio Cirrus. This is the most accurate and extended 2-way I have ever heard. If I had a small room this is what I would get, with stands. Just make sure if you want these that you get a commitment to delivery time. Better yet, buy a used set or a demo from Vapor. When these were introduced, they were under $4K for a pair, but that was many years ago. Don't worry that they are not 3-ways. They put out great bass, just not 20Hz. I put them in a room at a show after hours and did an A/B and they easily beat $50K 3-ways with powered subs from another company.

http://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/cirrus-black/

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If the speakers are designed well you should be able to move around with very little change to the sound and always maintaining a strong center image.

Hi Lief,

Are you referring to the MBL's or another omni speaker?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
One of the best small speakers for small rooms is the Vapor Audio Cirrus. I put them in a room at a show after hours and did an A/B and they easily beat $50K 3-ways with powered subs from another company.
Steve N.
Empirical Audio

What brand / model was the $50K 3-ways with powered subs?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Lief,

Are you referring to the MBL's or another omni speaker?

I wasn't referring to MBL's or any specific brand. What I'm saying is that any speaker that is well designed should have very little noticeable change to the sound if you were to get up from the center position and move around the room. You should be able to go to the far right or left of the room without the speakers localizing. A strong center image should still be present. You know the speakers are positioned correct and designed well if the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the speakers. They simply disappear.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thanks for the PM. As I said in my response, I think you should post that info on this thread. It gives everyone a reference regarding your insight and opinions.

And by the way, I believe I have heard those speakers at RMAF without subs (can't recall the year) and the sound was beyond outstanding. Won top "best in show awards" based on people that heard it.

And suffice to say that that brand has received numerous accolades over the years in the audio press regarding their sonic capabilities. Based on this and my personal experiences, what you apparently heard (maybe bad room acoustics, equipment synergy, etc.) was not indicative of this company's standing / reputation in the hi end world.

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
While being way over what I'm actually looking for, the comments above helped me refine my desired system in terms of budget and quality.
I am more into the common standard, absolutely not looking for a high-end system.

I would put my budget at 1,200$ or 1,500$ if it's really worth it, but mostly looking for the 600$ market.
I will not use wall-shaking volumes anyway.
My query is focused on which kind of a decent system is good for Rock music, for a room, for turntable use, as much as these conditions matter.
A recommended model or a guidance for what I need to look for in a system is welcome, for I have minimal understanding of the speaker market.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
While being way over what I'm actually looking for, the comments above helped me refine my desired system in terms of budget and quality.
I am more into the common standard, absolutely not looking for a high-end system.

I would put my budget at 1,200$ or 1,500$ if it's really worth it, but mostly looking for the 600$ market.
I will not use wall-shaking volumes anyway.
My query is focused on which kind of a decent system is good for Rock music, for a room, for turntable use, as much as these conditions matter.
A recommended model or a guidance for what I need to look for in a system is welcome, for I have minimal understanding of the speaker market.

A used pair of Usher Be-718 with Diamond tweeters would blow you away. They would fall at the top of your budget and won't go much below 40 hz, but what they will do is completely raise the bar for what you thought was possible for an 'affordable' speaker. Other options would be the Usher N-series like the N-6311 or N-6361. Neither will have the finesse and beautiful top end of the 718, but they will go deeper and provide full range sound.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
What SPL levels do you listen at?? If you listen at anything close to the real deal go with higher efficiency system. I would be looking at a large woofer compression driver system using a modern waveguide. That will give you plenty of slam and really good imaging for a stereo pair.

Rob:)

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
What SPL levels do you listen at?? If you listen at anything close to the real deal go with higher efficiency system. I would be looking at a large woofer compression driver system using a modern waveguide. That will give you plenty of slam and really good imaging for a stereo pair.

Rob:)
How do I measure that?

If that helps -
In my current Logitech X-530 I'm mostly at between 1/4 and 1/2 of the volume circular button, more around the 1/4 than 1/2.
(That is when I play either from a turntable with a Cambridge 551P phono-preamp, or from my PC with an M-Audio Fast Track interface)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Well put this way do you listen to your movies as loud as the theater? if you listen to your music at the same levels many might consider that loud, you know what alive show sounds like That is the real deal loud Hearing protection not optional

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing