Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a recommanded Speaker set for Rock music (Turntable)?

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Leif S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Hi Lief,

Are you referring to the MBL's or another omni speaker?
    I wasn't referring to MBL's or any specific brand. What I'm saying is that any speaker that is well designed should have very little noticeable change to the sound if you were to get up from the center position and move around the room. You should be able to go to the far right or left of the room without the speakers localizing. A strong center image should still be present. You know the speakers are positioned correct and designed well if the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the speakers. They simply disappear.
    Leif Swanson
    Vice President, Sales and Marketing
    Designer

Von Schweikert Audio
    Global Distributor- MasterBuilt Audio Cables

My System

VSA Endeavor 5's, E-3MkII's, Audio Alchemy electronics, VAC IQ200 monoblocks, VAC Master Line Stage with Phono Pre, Kronos Pro with SCPS, Black Beauty Tone arm, ZYX cartridge, Lampizator, Aurender, MasterBuilt cables, J-corder open reel deck.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    What brand / model was the $50K 3-ways with powered subs?
    I PMed you.

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Thanks for the PM. As I said in my response, I think you should post that info on this thread. It gives everyone a reference regarding your insight and opinions.

And by the way, I believe I have heard those speakers at RMAF without subs (can't recall the year) and the sound was beyond outstanding. Won top "best in show awards" based on people that heard it.

And suffice to say that that brand has received numerous accolades over the years in the audio press regarding their sonic capabilities. Based on this and my personal experiences, what you apparently heard (maybe bad room acoustics, equipment synergy, etc.) was not indicative of this company's standing / reputation in the hi end world.

While being way over what I'm actually looking for, the comments above helped me refine my desired system in terms of budget and quality.
    I am more into the common standard, absolutely not looking for a high-end system.

I would put my budget at 1,200$ or 1,500$ if it's really worth it, but mostly looking for the 600$ market.
    I will not use wall-shaking volumes anyway.
    My query is focused on which kind of a decent system is good for Rock music, for a room, for turntable use, as much as these conditions matter.
    A recommended model or a guidance for what I need to look for in a system is welcome, for I have minimal understanding of the speaker market.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    While being way over what I'm actually looking for, the comments above helped me refine my desired system in terms of budget and quality.
    I am more into the common standard, absolutely not looking for a high-end system.

I would put my budget at 1,200$ or 1,500$ if it's really worth it, but mostly looking for the 600$ market.
    I will not use wall-shaking volumes anyway.
    My query is focused on which kind of a decent system is good for Rock music, for a room, for turntable use, as much as these conditions matter.
    A recommended model or a guidance for what I need to look for in a system is welcome, for I have minimal understanding of the speaker market.
    A used pair of Usher Be-718 with Diamond tweeters would blow you away. They would fall at the top of your budget and won't go much below 40 hz, but what they will do is completely raise the bar for what you thought was possible for an 'affordable' speaker. Other options would be the Usher N-series like the N-6311 or N-6361. Neither will have the finesse and beautiful top end of the 718, but they will go deeper and provide full range sound.
    https://www.audiothesis.com/

USA Distributor for North Star Design, Rosso Fiorentino, and MastersounD
    https://www.northstar.it/
    http://www.rossofiorentino.com/
    http://www.mastersoundsas.it/

Dallas Dealer for: AURALiC - Dayens - Harbeth - iFi - Marantz - Martin Logan - Parasound - Polk Audio - Sonner Audio - Star Sound Technologies - Triode Corporation - Usher Audio - Wireworld

What SPL levels do you listen at?? If you listen at anything close to the real deal go with higher efficiency system. I would be looking at a large woofer compression driver system using a modern waveguide. That will give you plenty of slam and really good imaging for a stereo pair.

Rob
    I could be arguing in my spare time

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What SPL levels do you listen at?? If you listen at anything close to the real deal go with higher efficiency system. I would be looking at a large woofer compression driver system using a modern waveguide. That will give you plenty of slam and really good imaging for a stereo pair.

Rob
    How do I measure that?

If that helps -
    In my current Logitech X-530 I'm mostly at between 1/4 and 1/2 of the volume circular button, more around the 1/4 than 1/2.
    (That is when I play either from a turntable with a Cambridge 551P phono-preamp, or from my PC with an M-Audio Fast Track interface)

Well put this way do you listen to your movies as loud as the theater? if you listen to your music at the same levels many might consider that loud, you know what alive show sounds like That is the real deal loud Hearing protection not optional
    I could be arguing in my spare time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12