Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a recommanded Speaker set for Rock music (Turntable)?

What's a recommanded Speaker set for Rock music (Turntable)?

Hello,

My current clumsy 5.1 speaker set is nearly dying, and I'm considering moving to a new one, which will also fit better for my needs.
    I have very little understanding of which kind of speakers are good for each use, but I assume it will be stereo towers, not sure if a sub-woofer is necessary.

What would I do with it?
    Mostly listen to Rock music. Do genres really matter?
    If you could recommend which are good for Rock, or explain what features make it good for Rock, so that I can look myself.

What would it be connected to?
    - A turntable, via a Cambridge pre-amp.
    - on the digital side, a PC via an M-Audio interface.
    An RCA switch splitter connects them both to the speaker set.

What are the surrounding?
    It's prime job is to fill a room with music. It should not be pointed at the PC chair, but rather at the whole room.
    It is, however, planned to be set on a desk.

What's the budget?
    My understanding of this market is too minimal, so I would not set a budget before understanding what is a reasonable price for a decent set.
    It is likely that I will not go for a high end set. Anything about average and below will be good to consider.

If possible, I'd like to have as much product names dropped here as possible, since not all electronics products are available at where I live.

Thanks!

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Speaker set as in 5.1 set?
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Addicted to Best!
    If you really want to fill the whole room, you will need ribbons or Omni-directional speakers. The ribbons I used as my company reference for many years have amazing slam because they have been completely modded with new crossovers, port tuning, wiring and connectors. I used ribbons because at trade shows you need a speaker that sounds the same everywhere in the room. These also worked nicely for surround movies.

Your center channel speaker should be something different so it can be placed either below or above the screen. I like the B&W 805 series. Very clear on dialogue.

These full-range ribbons image nicely no matter where you are sitting or standing in the room, and they don't lose any high-frequencies when you stand-up. They are also seamless from the ribbon to the bassbox. I got ear crushing sound from 30-watt SET tube monoblock amps, so they are quite efficient. I didn't have them more than 30 inches from the backwall either.

I have recently gotten Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers, so I am selling these reference ribbon speakers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151272.0

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    If you really want to fill the whole room, you will need ribbons or Omni-directional speakers. The ribbons I used as my company reference for many years have amazing slam because they have been completely modded with new crossovers, port tuning, wiring and connectors. I used ribbons because at trade shows you need a speaker that sounds the same everywhere in the room. These also worked nicely for surround movies.

Your center channel speaker should be something different so it can be placed either below or above the screen. I like the B&W 805 series. Very clear on dialogue.

These full-range ribbons image nicely no matter where you are sitting or standing in the room, and they don't lose any high-frequencies when you stand-up. They are also seamless from the ribbon to the bassbox. I got ear crushing sound from 30-watt SET tube monoblock amps, so they are quite efficient. I didn't have them more than 30 inches from the backwall either.

I have recently gotten Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers, so I am selling these reference ribbon speakers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151272.0

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio
    It is a small room, possibly you have gone too far with the "fill a room" thing.
    The point was that it should not be pointed at a certain chair or a spot.

Anyway, are these recommended for music (specifically Rock music)?
    By centre channel, does it mean that they are 3 pieces? Not only a stereo pair? Is it necessary for music?

And are there any more good ideas?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    It is a small room, possibly you have gone too far with the "fill a room" thing.
    It's a benefit to be able to stand up and walk around and still get a good stereo image and high frequencies.

How small is your room?

I use them with all genres of music. They have the slam for rock and the delicate detail for classical. Great for cymbols and drums.

By centre channel, does it mean that they are 3 pieces? Not only a stereo pair? Is it necessary for music?
    Just 2 speakers. I use them for both 2-channel and home theater. The center channel speaker is not for sale.

You will spend more than $10k to get this kind of sound quality elsewhere. More like $20K.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Leif S's Avatar
    If the speakers are designed well you should be able to move around with very little change to the sound and always maintaining a strong center image.
    Leif Swanson
    Vice President, Sales and Marketing
    Designer

Von Schweikert Audio
    Global Distributor- MasterBuilt Audio Cables

My System

VSA Endeavor 5's, E-3MkII's, Audio Alchemy electronics, VAC IQ200 monoblocks, VAC Master Line Stage with Phono Pre, Kronos Pro with SCPS, Black Beauty Tone arm, ZYX cartridge, Lampizator, Aurender, MasterBuilt cables, J-corder open reel deck.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Id say a used wilson system 7 is a nice well designed speaker for not to big a room , and i ve heard them quite good on rock, you just need a good 100 -160 watt per channel Solidstate amp , doesnt need to be that fancy , digital ... anything goes lol

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post

And are there any more good ideas?
    One of the best small speakers for small rooms is the Vapor Audio Cirrus. This is the most accurate and extended 2-way I have ever heard. If I had a small room this is what I would get, with stands. Just make sure if you want these that you get a commitment to delivery time. Better yet, buy a used set or a demo from Vapor. When these were introduced, they were under $4K for a pair, but that was many years ago. Don't worry that they are not 3-ways. They put out great bass, just not 20Hz. I put them in a room at a show after hours and did an A/B and they easily beat $50K 3-ways with powered subs from another company.

http://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/cirrus-black/

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif S View Post
    If the speakers are designed well you should be able to move around with very little change to the sound and always maintaining a strong center image.
    Hi Lief,

Are you referring to the MBL's or another omni speaker?

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    One of the best small speakers for small rooms is the Vapor Audio Cirrus. I put them in a room at a show after hours and did an A/B and they easily beat $50K 3-ways with powered subs from another company.
    Steve N.
    Empirical Audio
    What brand / model was the $50K 3-ways with powered subs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast