Tesla Roadster

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't have a "P" series and I plan to drive my S90D for 30 years. I'll probably get an upgraded battery pack in 20 years, which will give me more range than 300 miles. I have not needed more range actually. I get rigor-mortise sitting in a car for more than about 2.5 hours anyway. Chargers are about every 100 miles or so. As for acceleration, 4.2 seconds is fast enough to pass any truck or several trucks even. They ticket you here for going over the limit when passing. Stupid....

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Steve, I dont have a clue why you are telling me about batteries.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
NG is better but has storage/safety/refuleing issues. Still, it is used in many fleet vehicles including big trucks.

E85 is another option, corn ethanol is close to carbon neutral.

If you use a coal fired power plant to recharge an electric car it is worse vs a traditional car. With renewables it starts to look much better and the impact might be about half of a comparable ice vehicle as far as CO2, but there's still issues with environmental impacts and expense of electric cars than need to be solved before they are really the solution that they (Tesla) claim it to be. It is the future of autos though, no doubt about it and it will get better.

I am sorry Dave but this argument is absurd. It is essentially arguing that there would be no coal fired power plants unless we had to charge Teslas. If the cars didn’t exist, would the coal fired power plants go away? Aren’t those same plants used to make ICE cars? Isn’t gas and diesel used to transport the materials necessary to build the plants, to move gas to the gas stations? Etc., etc. but electric cars are somehow the bad guys. This whole argument has been debunked over and over yet people still roll it out. The oil and gas industries get massive tax breaks. How is the tax rebate program any worse? The tax breaks for big oil go to the big boys, not the consumers, unlike with the electric car tax credit. And don’t even get me started with the auto industry bail out, which I supported. My lord, you haven’t even driven the car yet you pontificate that the batteries don’t last and that the cars are crap. It would be like me arguing that your cables are no better than lamp cord without trying them in my system. I have had an S for 6 months. I can accelerate rapidly over and over. This feature has helped us avoid several accidents already on I95 driving between NYC and DC. The car accelerates in heavy rain on wet roads and handles like a dream. You have a bias. I get that and I have one in favor of Tesla. In fact, we have an appointment to discuss adding solar panels to our roof and a power wall which will be used in small part to charge the S and a 3 which we hope to get in 2018. How is this worse than an ice car. Tesla is single handedly moving the car industry to electric. GM killed their first electric car despite the fact that their owners loved them. Imagine recalling and destroying a product that your consumers loved. I wonder why? Without a Tesla, how many electric cars would there be today? Probably none. Elon Musk is doing amazing things. Get over it.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
plus a $245,000 wire transfer payment due in 10 days. / Roadster reservations require an initial $5,000 credit card payment,

In 2 or 3 years your $1/4 million deposit might be thin air, and no car delivered.

The great acceleration #s were done with a car with the minimum amount of battery [weight] in order to record the #s.

EV tax freebies are going away; not good for the business model [good for hard working taxpayers].

zz.

How about eliminating the subsidies for big oil? Good for hard working tax payers as well. A lot more Tax dollars have been going to the benefit of big oil that for EVP tax credits. Geez...

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have never really understood why Teslas are considered "green" and less bad for the environment than cars with internal combustion engines. Sure, no stinky exhaust comes out of the back of the Tesla, but aren't we just trading those gas engine micro-polluters for more exhaust coming out of the macro-polluting coal-fired power plants? (I don't know -- I am asking.)

If we wanted to achieve a net improvement for the environment wouldn't we be powering cars with natural gas?

Ron, I will be charging my S with solar hopefully next year, not exchanging anything at all. However, the power plants will still exist and ice cars will still need gas. We won’t.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
there is a small subset of people who just buy something and drive it without a thought to the numbers. or at least tell us that is what they do.

Mike the majority of the world drive something without a thought to the numbers. You . I would venture to say are in the minority

You're thinking like a guy who buys and sells used cars which you do

The enjoyment that I get from driving my AMG daily is for me worth every penny. I never buy used and never give a darn about what something is going to resell for rather than getting the pleasure of enjoying it on a daily basis

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I am sorry Dave but this argument is absurd. It is essentially arguing that there would be no coal fired power plants unless we had to charge Teslas. If the cars didn’t exist, would the coal fired power plants go away? Aren’t those same plants used to make ICE cars? Isn’t gas and diesel used to transport the materials necessary to build the plants, to move gas to the gas stations? Etc., etc. but electric cars are somehow the bad guys. This whole argument has been debunked over and over yet people still roll it out. The oil and gas industries get massive tax breaks. How is the tax rebate program any worse? The tax breaks for big oil go to the big boys, not the consumers, unlike with the electric car tax credit. And don’t even get me started with the auto industry bail out, which I supported. My lord, you haven’t even driven the car yet you pontificate that the batteries don’t last and that the cars are crap. It would be like me arguing that your cables are no better than lamp cord without trying them in my system. I have had an S for 6 months. I can accelerate rapidly over and over. This feature has helped us avoid several accidents already on I95 driving between NYC and DC. The car accelerates in heavy rain on wet roads and handles like a dream. You have a bias. I get that and I have one in favor of Tesla. In fact, we have an appointment to discuss adding solar panels to our roof and a power wall which will be used in small part to charge the S and a 3 which we hope to get in 2018. How is this worse than an ice car. Tesla is single handedly moving the car industry to electric. GM killed their first electric car despite the fact that their owners loved them. Imagine recalling and destroying a product that your consumers loved. I wonder why? Without a Tesla, how many electric cars would there be today? Probably none. Elon Musk is doing amazing things. Get over it.

I have no problem with the product and I'm sure it's a great car to drive on the road. No issue there. It's just not comparable to a ice performance car that was designed to be used on a track, the Tesla isn't designed for it and can only go fast for a relatively short period of time. Most production cars are not suitable for track use either, there's really only a few but they do include most of the cars in the new roadsters price class. Track vs road driving is very different and much harder on cars. It is a huge accomplishment for a road car to do 8.9s 1/4 though, that's pretty amazing. But, it's at the cost of using a huge battery and shortening it's lifespan, which is anything but green and part of the paradox of a $200k electric sports car.

As far as an e-car's contribution to CO2, it is indeed slightly worse, about 15%, vs a comparable ice car if recharged using coal, not much different with NG. With a solar system and batteries you trade-off the energy required to manufacture these products along with the fairly high environmental impacts of their production for less CO2 emissions. That might be a good trade off right now, but it's like changing from cigarettes to pipes, you didn't really quit using resources in a harmful way. That's unavoidable with today's tech and not really a criticism, it's reality. I've said many times e-cars are the future but the tech for both cars and electricity production needs to improve before they realize many of their claimed benefits.

Anyways, I really try not to be biased, but realistic. As a non-owner of a e-car but a supporter of renewable energy and lowering CO2 levels in the atmosphere I think I have a claim to be a lot less biased vs the Tesla owners...

Steve Williams

Tesla is single handedly moving the car industry to electric. GM killed their first electric car despite the fact that their owners loved them. Imagine recalling and destroying a product that your consumers loved. I wonder why? Without a Tesla, how many electric cars would there be today? Probably none. Elon Musk is doing amazing things. Get over it.

I totally agree Joe. IMO the world hasn't caught up to Elon Musk yet so say what you wil,l Joe is correct in saying he is moving the car industry towards electric. It's reality. Everyone needs to get over it

I plan on putting in solar to my house in the coming year. My next door neighbor put it in 2 months ago and his electric bill dropped from $960/month to $96 last month. This is while i got a letter from San Diego Gas and Electric telling me it is a warning letter that my electricity consumption was 4X the baseline allowed. This is in a house where only my wife resides and maintenance electricity os running to the rest of the house. Just my wife and I.

It's letters like this that would make anyone crazy not to try solar or electric cars.

So like it or not it's here and IMO the roadster whatever anyone will say is well into the future. No one might drive it 650 miles or get even close to 250 mph but its the fastest production car in the world. Nothing comes close. Not my AMG or anyone's Porsche or Ferrari . I've accepted it and will drive my AMG into the ground and love driving it. When the time comes to consider new cars for the family an electric car is clearly in our future

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I have never really understood why Teslas are considered "green" and less bad for the environment than cars with internal combustion engines. Sure, no stinky exhaust comes out of the back of the Tesla, but aren't we just trading those gas engine micro-polluters for more exhaust coming out of the macro-polluting coal-fired power plants? (I don't know -- I am asking.)

If we wanted to achieve a net improvement for the environment wouldn't we be powering cars with natural gas?

May of us live in areas of the country where renewable energy is mostly what we get. I live in an area where the power is 97% hydro. Others can put solar roof tiles on their roofs and charge their Power Wall during the day and then charge the car at night from the power wall. Californians are doing this already. Superchargers are currently powered from the grid, but there are plans for many of them to be upgraded with solar panels and battery storage, so there is no CO2 footprint.

Elon has thought of these things already.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, I dont have a clue why you are telling me about batteries.

Just making the point that I don't treat my Tesla like a classic car, I drive it and I drive it forever. I typically own a car for 30 years. This is why I always bought Mercedes and Volvo (the good years).

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I totally agree Joe. IMO the world hasn't caught up to Elon Musk yet so say what you wil,l Joe is correct in saying he is moving the car industry towards electric. It's reality. Everyone needs to get over it

I plan on putting in solar to my house in the coming year. My next door neighbor put it in 2 months ago and his electric bill dropped from $960/month to $96 last month. This is while i got a letter from San Diego Gas and Electric telling me it is a warning letter that my electricity consumption was 4X the baseline allowed. This is in a house where only my wife resides and maintenance electricity os running to the rest of the house. Just my wife and I.

It's letters like this that would make anyone crazy not to try solar or electric cars.

Here are some things that will lower the power bill:

-Replace all of your bulbs with LEDs
-Turn-off lights when you are not in the room
- Use the Programmable thermostat
-Seal all of the air leaks in doors/windows
-Add extra insulation to the attic
-Insulate under floors that are crawl spaces
-Replace single-glazed windows with double glazed
-Replace heat pump or air conditioner with high-efficiency one
-Upgrade kitchen appliances - induction cooktop, efficient frig, convection oven, newer microwave oven
-Install high-efficiency wood stove or fireplace insert

These things make sense even if you add solar.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
1/4 mile times of 8.9 secs will scare most drivers , as a drag racer in a previous life , its friggen fast. My blown and injected big block Camaro was doing low 7's and it was a handful, for a production car to rip off 8's is amazing

Steve Williams

-Upgrade kitchen appliances - induction cooktop, efficient frig, convection oven, newer microwave oven

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

totally agree Steve but I've done em all

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This' just in; educative:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...ormance-targets-new-tesla-roadster-semi-truck

That article ^ is a 'musk' read, if you are a diligent investor doing your homework when departing your own hard earned money into a company. It's called smart investing.

"However, in its analysis of the feasibility of Musk’s claims, Bloomberg overlooked one crucial detail: Back in August, the company's veteran director of battery technology, Kurt Kelty, unexpectedly resigned to "explore new opportunities," abruptly ending a tenure with the company that stretched for more than a decade, and comes at a critical time for Elon Musk.

Kelty’s resignation – part of an exodus of high-level executives that is alarming in and of itself - hardly inspires confidence in Tesla’s ability to innovate. We’ve noticed a trend with Tesla: The more the company underdelivers, the more Musk overpromises."

Last edited:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

totally agree Steve but I've done em all

Tube amp's to blaim :cool:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Yesterday on the news I saw that Chinese are buying up all of the Cobalt mines in Africa. There are some mines in the US. One mine is predicted to produce enough to supply the Tesla mega-battery factory in Sparks, NV.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
China is making a smart move; Africa is the largest concentration of cobalt in the world.

"The copper belt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic and Zambia yields most of the cobalt mined worldwide. The DRC alone accounted for more than 50% of 2016 world production (123,000 tonnes), according to Natural Resources Canada.

In 2005, the copper deposits in the Katanga Province (former Shaba province) of the Democratic Republic of the Congo were the top producer of cobalt with almost 40% world share, reports the British Geological Survey. By 2015, DRC supplied 60% of the world production of 32,000 tons at prices of $20,000 to $26,000 per ton, including artisanal mining which supplied 10 to 25%. The political situation in the Congo influences the price of cobalt significantly.

The Mukondo Mountain project, operated by the Central African Mining and Exploration Company (CAMEC) in Katanga, may be the richest cobalt reserve in the world. It is estimated able to produce about one third of total global production of cobalt in 2008. In July 2009 CAMEC announced a long-term agreement under which CAMEC would deliver its entire annual production of cobalt concentrate from Mukondo Mountain to Zhejiang Galico Cobalt & Nickel Materials of China."

_____

"Human rights activists had previously alleged, and on February 28, 2017 investigative journalism reported confirmation, that child labor is used in a portion of the worldwide supply of cobalt sourced from African artisanal mines. This revelation prompted cell phone maker Apple Inc., on March 3, 2017, to stop buying the ore from suppliers such as Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt who source from artisanal mines in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and begin using only suppliers that are verified to meet its workplace standards. In 2017, some exploration companies were planning to survey old silver and cobalt mines in the area of Cobalt, Ontario where significant deposits are believed to lie.

The United States Geological Survey estimates world reserves at 7,100,000 metric tons."

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing