Tesla Roadster

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This Roadster beats all Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord combined. ...And the Camry and the Lexus.

Impressive specs, affordable...compared to Bugatti, Lamborghini and Ferrari.
Plus, it runs electrically. ...It should attract the young @ heart, the fast @ life, the furious @ speed and the best @ spirit of the future.

Back in April:

https://www.teslarati.com/next-generation-tesla-roadster-will-convertible-says-musk/

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Doesn't it look like a targa (and not a full convertible)?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I believe it's the fastest production car on the planet. The only one that might beat it is a jet-engine car I read about last week. I think you might have to wear a flight suit to drive it full-out, or end-up picking your eyeballs out of the back of your head.

Even the 12 cylinder supercharged Bugatti is only 2.3 seconds 0-60. A Model S100D matches that, except for the top speed.

Now that Tesla holds the record for acceleration AND top speed, it will be interesting to see how ANY ICE car can beat it. I don't think it's possible to change gears that fast.;)

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Porsche Targa looks cramped compared to the Tesla Roadster.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Now that Tesla holds the record for acceleration AND top speed, it will be interesting to see how ANY ICE car can beat it. I don't think it's possible to change gears that fast.;)

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

620 miles range is hard to beat too.

I am not crazy with her design; she does nothing to me...and looks are important in my car book.

Back in April Tesla Roadster had this rendering, which I much prefer ?

Mazda Roadstar ?

Mazda Vision Coupe - Concept (that I like) ?

Just design wise...I know; it's a Sedan...but she looks more sportive than the Tesla Roadster. ...Much nicer looks wise.

* I think the acceleration is too scary for most people...in particular for older people.
Zero to sixty in less than 2 seconds is going to give heart attacks to our grand mas and das.
And the kids are going to simply crash them when drag racing after midnight, on public roads.
Plus, the cops won't be able to catch them. Those Tesla Roadsters should only be available to people aged between 30 and 50, nothing before and nothing after.
And all the cops should have them too, as their new patrol cars.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
620 miles range is hard to beat too.

not relevant.

here is the problem. $200k++ super exotic cars don't get driven. they are owned by collectors. so range is simply not important. it's just a number on a page.

most super exotics have under 2500 miles. many have under 500 miles, or even under 200 miles.

if you put 30k or 40k miles on a $200k car it will cost you big dollars in depreciation. it's like Acura made a big deal that their new NSX was reliable and comfortable enough to be a daily driver. but no one buys a car like that to drive every day. they did not understand the customer they were trying to sell the car to. much more important are lap times and power to weight ratios. not that they will drive the car at the track, but to know that it will win the race is what is important.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
When did it break Koenigseggs 278 mph record?

Okay, only acceleration then for now. Give it time, it will probably do 280.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Tesla Roadster "might" appear in three years, or four. The customers are buying an invisible car that they saw when the prototype was released couple days ago to an audience of journalists and Tesla's investors. That $250,000 Roadster, today, is people's dream of tomorrow, with investments made today by the dreamers.
That, is Elon Musk strategy; get rich from people buying the dreams he offers, and with their money. It is the perfect system in the year 2018 and beyond.

I agree with you Mike, regarding the 620 miles range; the Roadster is mainly a taxi ride in the city.
People who drive on highways and for travelling long distance are driving Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Probably a tad more upscale in some cases !

:b That was just to emphasize Mike's line of thought about luxury/sports and collectable cars.
Huge semi trucks are the vehicles riding on highways for long stretches.
But fear not...Tesla new semi are taking orders today. Walmart Canada has just ordered 25 of them.

I drove trucks for the most part of my existence, requiring extreme long drives for contracts all over.
I don't do that anymore, I need sleep @ this point in time. But yeah, I drove my fair share of 500-600 miles with just one refuelling, all night.
If my trucks would have allowed me do drive 500 miles range non-stop, I would not have stopped.

Now soon we'll be able to just do that...with both the Tesla Semi truck and the Tesla Roadster, for people who want to when their Tesla Roadster shows up @ their door in the year 2021 or so.

In Dubai and Abu Dhabi, they drive Bugattis and Lamborghinis to the malls. Very few will drive them on the highways for 200 miles non-stop.
One they won't make it, the gas tank is too small, and two, they would have to be conservative with their foot on the gas pedal.
Driving in cities with those cost more per mileage, but @ least it feels ... high end car driving, with your tiger sitting in the passenger seat.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The Tesla Roadster "might" appear in three years, or four. The customers are buying an invisible car that they saw when the prototype was released couple days ago to an audience of journalists and Tesla's investors. That $250,000 Roadster, today, is people's dream of tomorrow, with investments made today by the dreamers.
That, is Elon Musk strategy; get rich from people buying the dreams he offers, and with their money. It is the perfect system in the year 2018 and beyond.

I agree with you Mike, regarding the 620 miles range; the Roadster is mainly a taxi ride in the city.
People who drive on highways and for travelling long distance are driving Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic.

I don't believe it's Elons intention to get rich. He was rich long ago. His dream is to give back, help humanity, and have some fun in the process.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't believe it's Elons intention to get rich. He was rich long ago. His dream is to give back, help humanity, and have some fun in the process.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Well, that's what I meant. Except I didn't elaborate much on it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richwi...ngs-we-can-learn-from-elon-musk/#99dd81c40981
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/08/crazy-elon-musks-goals/

Ok, are you now ready for this: We all know that to survive gracefully is to give and leave our children the best heritage of life.
...To our future generations.

___

? Net worth: $20.80 billion USD (2017)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing