Every ending marks a new beginning... or which tonearm to choose :)

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Saying farewell to my TW Raven GT turntable, I highly enjoyed my time with it, but it's time for an UPGRADE :D
With the GT I'll also sell my, beloved, Raven 10.5 tonearm - to have it sold as a set.

I have an additional arm, which was not my primary, an Ikeda IT-407.

At this moment, I can afford only one tonearm on the new turntable (soon to be revealed :)).
Should I:
1) Keep the Ikeda IT-407 and make it my primary tonearm
2) Sell the Ikeda and buy:
2.1) Kuzma 4P (4P 14''?)
2.2) Graham Phantom III
2.3) Acoustical Systems Aquilar
2.4) Any other suggestions are welcome :)

Initially I will use this tonearm with my ZYX Ultimate Omega, which is my preferred cartridge.

Would love to hear your suggestions/opinions!
Thanks!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I had Kuzma 4p 12' and Graham Phantom, both were outperformed by the Ikeda 407.
Depending on the Cartridge the Ikeda 407 was outperformed by Fidelity Research FR64s or 66s.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thales Simplicity II or new Reference. Tangential tracking with a pivoted tonearm.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Depending on the Cartridge the Ikeda 407 was outperformed by Fidelity Research FR64s or 66s.

Good to know about the kuzma and the Graham. Which model of the Graham?

Also on which carts were the compares?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Thales Simplicity II or new Reference. Tangential tracking with a pivoted tonearm.
Indeed very interesting, unfortunately, current pricing does not allow it to fit my budget.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Thanks! I'm also intrigued (as bonzo) to know which cartridges where fitted on these tonearms when the comparison was done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
iaxel, have you compared your Zyx with other Zyx models? Any feedback?

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
To really better this line up of possible tonarms you should go for the outstanding ViV Rigid Float.

We have compared the cheaper aluminum version with the tonarms you mentioned and the ViV
was by a significant amount the best.
Very charming is that is it completely unimportant if the cartridge used is light or heavy, if the
compliance is high or low. This is because of the unique "mangetic oil bearing" of the ViV.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
iaxel, have you compared your Zyx with other Zyx models? Any feedback?
Hi bonzo, sorry missed you question.
Actually, I've had the chance to compare 2 versions of the ZYX Ultimate Omega:
1) Gold wiring and high output (0.48)
2) Silver wiring and low output (0.24)

To my ears, the silver/low output version was much more resolving and dynamic, better overall. The gold/high output version was lusher and with less bite and attack. All in all, both are very refined cartridges, without sounding bright or etched - IMHO, this is the essence of high-end audio.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
To really better this line up of possible tonarms you should go for the outstanding ViV Rigid Float.

We have compared the cheaper aluminum version with the tonarms you mentioned and the ViV
was by a significant amount the best.
Very charming is that is it completely unimportant if the cartridge used is light or heavy, if the
compliance is high or low. This is because of the unique "mangetic oil bearing" of the ViV.
Thanks!
I've read some mixed reviews about the Viv, but it is indeed an interesting tonearm.
Which length gave the best overall performance in your opinion?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi bonzo, sorry missed you question.
Actually, I've had the chance to compare 2 versions of the ZYX Ultimate Omega:
1) Gold wiring and high output (0.48)
2) Silver wiring and low output (0.24)

To my ears, the silver/low output version was much more resolving and dynamic, better overall. The gold/high output version was lusher and with less bite and attack. All in all, both are very refined cartridges, without sounding bright or etched - IMHO, this is the essence of high-end audio.

Thanks, did you use a valve phono for the compares? If so, which one?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing