An eye patch for speakers?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Well, that is what it sort of looks like to me.;)

I actually think it might be a good idea for full range drivers which tend to beam the upper frequencies.

Take a look at it, wish you thought of it first, right?:cool:

Beam Blocker
http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

I have seen louvered diffusers for tweeters before, and I myself once placed a golf ball in front of a tweeter to knock down the edginess.

I like it, where and when it would be needed. Not too expensive either although it just looks like a speaker cone and a strap.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Seems like it would screw up imaging.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
uh, well, maybe just turn your treble control down some...you do have one of those on your pre-amp, don't you? We used to just tack a cloth over the tweeter, nylon stockings all the way up to a T-shirt if needed to tame those nasty highs.

Tom

Beaming is not so much about frequency as it is about the radiation pattern, right?

On your second point, I recently had a beaming problem on one of my experiment DIY projects. I messed up the left channel driver when installing it, all my fault, rotated the voice coil or something - long story. However I tried to fix it by putting a light pillow over it. It cut down the sound but what ever was gong on I could still feel it beaming, be it at a less annoying level. It beamed right through the pillow, I was really surprised. Maybe the issue I'm dealing with is not traditional beaming, but it has paused me to think about this stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing