New ZYX cartridge

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Has anyone tried the new Universe 3 cartridge by ZYX? Rumor is it is incredible.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Retail?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Around $9,500 I believe

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cool, hope it's as good as the premium, or better. Also where does it rate to ultimate diamond?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
WBF Control to Major Ron...you might be interested

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Cool, hope it's as good as the premium, or better. Also where does it rate to ultimate diamond?

I was told that it is very close. The main reason I ask is because this cartridge will be used at the shows. If I can get 90 to 95% out of a cartridge that is close to half the price of the TOL cartride it would be worth it to me. Shows are a dangerous place for cartridges lol

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
And yes supposedly much better than the premium

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you have a premium you have used for shows? Can't offer you much since you must have buggered it at the show ;)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
No. We have been using the Ultimate 4D. But at the Capitol Audio Fest we used an Air Tight Opus one and I thought it was really good. I get very special pricing on both the ZYX and Air Tight but it is still a big investment lol.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I'm trying to remember if JackD or his brother are using the OPUS ONE with having to re-read their system details:eek:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am still confused about ZYX models. Is what we are talking about here the Ultimate Dynamic with carbon cantilever and non magnetic coil bobbin?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm trying to remember if JackD or his brother are using the OPUS ONE with having to re-read their system details:eek:

It's Jim with the Opus (Air Tight) and Platinums (My Sonic). I use TD Ti and Ultra Eminent Be (in the US I believe it is EX). These are what I call my "hard bodies" because well, the bodies are hard. The Stone Koetsus and the GFS the "firm" and the others I call the "Woodies" LOL

I haven't used ZYX for ages. My only ZYX here is the Airy 3 S. I imagine ZYX carts would work well with the Black Beauty arm. I'm not sure how the BB handles really heavy carts.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am still confused about ZYX models. Is what we are talking about here the Ultimate Dynamic with carbon cantilever and non magnetic coil bobbin?

The Ultimate Series is a global series. The Universe Series is exclusively made for US, distributed by Sorasound globally. So if I wanted to buy Ultimate, I would buy it from the country I was in, but Universe I could order from Sorasound. He can't sell an Ultimate here if there is a UK appointed distributor.

The Ultimate series has its own hierarchy. The Universe Premium was the best in the Universe hierarchy, and apparently the best Zyx, and then in the Universe hierarchy came Universe II at half the price or so. So now we have Universe III - lower price than Premium, but newer generation. At least that's my understanding.

And Pietro's Zyx diamond is twice the price of the Premium, not sure which http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-2-Formula-One&p=476498&viewfull=1#post476498
Gian might know

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The Ultimate Series is a global series. The Universe Series is exclusively made for US, distributed by Sorasound globally. So if I wanted to buy Ultimate, I would buy it from the country I was in, but Universe I could order from Sorasound. He can't sell an Ultimate here if there is a UK appointed distributor.

The Ultimate series has its own hierarchy. The Universe Premium was the best in the Universe hierarchy, and apparently the best Zyx, and then in the Universe hierarchy came Universe II at half the price or so. So now we have Universe III - lower price than Premium, but newer generation. At least that's my understanding.

And Pietro's Zyx diamond is twice the price of the Premium, not sure which http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-2-Formula-One&p=476498&viewfull=1#post476498
Gian might know

Anyone has heard TOL of both series?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone has heard TOL of both series?

No one seems to have compared the ultimate line to the universe line at any level, from an online reporting point of view at least

Heard all universes separately and Pietro's diamond. I like all of them. I have never heard the Airtight but would like to compare to AT and to the GFS in Mike's system.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's Jim with the Opus (Air Tight) and Platinums (My Sonic). I use TD Ti and Ultra Eminent Be (in the US I believe it is EX). These are what I call my "hard bodies" because well, the bodies are hard. The Stone Koetsus and the GFS the "firm" and the others I call the "Woodies" LOL

I haven't used ZYX for ages. My only ZYX here is the Airy 3 S. I imagine ZYX carts would work well with the Black Beauty arm. I'm not sure how the BB handles really heavy carts.

Jack, it is a bit off topic, but which cartridge does your brother prefer, the AirTight Opus or the MSL Platinum? I have the two models just below those and slightly prefer the MSL for its dynamics and greater extension.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, it is a bit off topic, but which cartridge does your brother prefer, the AirTight Opus or the MSL Platinum? I have the two models just below those and slightly prefer the MSL for its dynamics and greater extension.

I haven't really asked Peter but I'll ask. Usually when I'm over there my focus is on the music unless we are setting something up in need of tuning.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing