Forsell Air Reference CD Transport - Need Help!!!

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Guys..I am so happy because after a few months of hunting down the Philips CDM 9 Pro and its related parts such as servo board, motherboards, finally my Forsell Air Reference CD Transport is up and running smoothly. I even have the spare in case the optic and its dedicated servo need replacement.

However, since this is a very old unit, I guess nearly 20 years already, the gold plated parts are dirty and loosing its shine.

I know people use Brasso to clean this part generally but based on my past experience when cleaning my Petrof piano pedals, it will turn back to even worse after a while.

Do you know what is the best cleaner to use for this purpose? Preferably non-abrasive and will retain its shiny looks longer. The most part of its casing is made of black acrylic though..

Pairing this Forsell Air Reference CD Transport with my Lampizator Golden Gate Balanced is the best decision I made. The sound is now so smooth, silky smooth, very relaxing. The density and texture is top notch. I have compared that to Mark Levinson 31.5, Aqua La Diva, 47Labs Flatfish. It has the sweetness of Flatfish yet Forsell provides more air and density at the same time. It's hard to explain because I could listen to this combo till 5 am for two straight day. :)

As to the cleaner, I really appreciate the information in advance. :)

Cheers..

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think deoxit gold might be what you need. Deoxit makes several products for electronic contact cleaning and preservation.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Guys..I am so happy because after a few months of hunting down the Philips CDM 9 Pro and its related parts such as servo board, motherboards, finally my Forsell Air Reference CD Transport is up and running smoothly. I even have the spare in case the optic and its dedicated servo need replacement.

However, since this is a very old unit, I guess nearly 20 years already, the gold plated parts are dirty and loosing its shine.

I know people use Brasso to clean this part generally but based on my past experience when cleaning my Petrof piano pedals, it will turn back to even worse after a while.

Do you know what is the best cleaner to use for this purpose? Preferably non-abrasive and will retain its shiny looks longer. The most part of its casing is made of black acrylic though..

Pairing this Forsell Air Reference CD Transport with my Lampizator Golden Gate Balanced is the best decision I made. The sound is now so smooth, silky smooth, very relaxing. The density and texture is top notch. I have compared that to Mark Levinson 31.5, Aqua La Diva, 47Labs Flatfish. It has the sweetness of Flatfish yet Forsell provides more air and density at the same time. It's hard to explain because I could listen to this combo till 5 am for two straight day. :)

As to the cleaner, I really appreciate the information in advance. :)

Cheers..

Congratulations!

Never use Brasso or any general product intended to clean brass, copper or other metals - they are abrasive and will strip the gold plated. The best cleaner for gold plated products in a safe window cleaner - it removes dirt and grease leaving the gold very clean.

Unfortunately I fear it can damage the black acrylic in the long term, so perhaps it is not usable in the Forsell.

You can always protect the black parts with painter tape while cleaning the gold plated parts, and afterwards use a good quality acrylic cleaner on all of it.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Thanks so much for the warning..I will surely use the painter tape when cleaning the gold parts..by the way, the Deoxite Gold is safe to use?

Congratulations!

Never use Brasso or any general product intended to clean brass, copper or other metals - they are abrasive and will strip the gold plated. The best cleaner for gold plated products in a safe window cleaner - it removes dirt and grease leaving the gold very clean.

Unfortunately I fear it can damage the black acrylic in the long term, so perhaps it is not usable in the Forsell.

You can always protect the black parts with painter tape while cleaning the gold plated parts, and afterwards use a good quality acrylic cleaner on all of it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks so much for the warning..I will surely use the painter tape when cleaning the gold parts..by the way, the Deoxite Gold is safe to use?

I am not sure, but I would not use it for this purpose. Most probably it will leave permanent stains - as far as I know it is not intended to be used in cosmetic use in large surfaces. And IMHO it is too expensive to be used in such large areas!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Disregard the deoxit recommendation. I thought you were cleaning contact parts. Cosmetic cleaning is different. Agree on window cleaner and use a light touch. Cosmetic foil is delicate stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing