Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New phono Kronos

Pretty sure I saw a pair of S5 Mk II in crates at the factory when I was there earlier this year. He does have a LOT of speakers.

Anyhow back on the phono topic I think it will be a top choice/reference level for tubed phonos as long as you are OK with the lack of flexibility. On my Argo, Velissarios of Trulife added a low/high gain switch for the step up which gives 3dB of headroom and allows accommodation for LOMC up to about 0.6mV. You might be able to request similar custom mods.

Here are some pictures from a few days ago that Louis posted on FB:
    Name:  phono1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  54.4 KB
    Name:  phono2.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  kronos phono.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  164.9 KB

From instagram/facebook. When I was there a few weekends ago Louis was still working on the top plate and other final details. Should come to market this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Louis told me of this phono since it was a prototype. I understand his sound signature. He likes extreme transparency and resolution, super quiet, very open sound with, body, high extension, t ight quick bass but not floor shaken and majestic. Some find his tt a little laid back, but imo that depends on arm/cart on his tt. I think this phono will carry on his sonic signature. He also uses horns at his home reflecting his taste. Maybe thats why this phono is tube.

Kind regards,
    Tang
    Dear Khun Tang,

I love all the positive attributes you've mentioned above to describe the new Kronos Ref. phono. Plus I also love floor shaking and majestic effects.

What shall I do now?
    Loudspeakers:Magico S5 MKII,
    Amp:Vitus SS103,
    Preamp: Vitus SL103;
    Vitus Signature SCD25 MKII cdplayer
    Speaker cables : MIT Oracle Matrix HD90
    Interconnects: MIT Oracle matrix 50 Rev.2
    Power cords: Nordost Vahalla 2; Shunyata Research Sigma
    Entreq Poseidon and Atlantis, Ertha Silver cables.
    Analog system: Debation is under process :-)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    How different is the kronos phono to the Trulife. Some say it is a two box Trulife.

I compared the Allnic 3000 to the one box Trulife (priced almost twice to the Allnic). With the stock recti, the Trulife is better. With the recti swapped, Allnic is. The Trulife has slightly wider stage than the recti rolled Allnic, but the body, tone, depth, layering, bass/midbass and dynamics are clearly better on the Allnic. Of course you could roll valves on the Trulife too but have no experience with how sensitive that is to valve rolls.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Hey Bonzo the power section for sure has undergone significant changes to completely separate left and right all the way back to dual power cords.

The Trulife is very sensitive to rectifier changes; it can make or break the sound. I don't know what the stock one is but guessing it's probably just OK. I've tried a bunch of EZ81/6CA4 tubes and the "best" are the 60s Mullard D getters or a Siemens. Siemens is the most linear, Mullard is just a touch sweeter but has the best tone.

For the 12AX7/12AU7 signal tubes I'm using 60s Siemens E82/83CC triple mica and I like them very much. Goes well with Zyx. There are lots of pretty good NOS 12AX7/AU7 choices.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris, good to know
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

And the EZ81/6CA4 are a bargin in comparison to a good GZ34 needed in the Allnic, and so many good choices for 12AX7 and 12AU7.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosta View Post
    And the EZ81/6CA4 are a bargin in comparison to a good GZ34 needed in the Allnic, and so many good choices for 12AX7 and 12AU7.
    The cost for an allnic KR recti is 300 quid. That's sufficient

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
    Hey Bonzo the power section for sure has undergone significant changes to completely separate left and right all the way back to dual power cords.

The Trulife is very sensitive to rectifier changes; it can make or break the sound. I don't know what the stock one is but guessing it's probably just OK. I've tried a bunch of EZ81/6CA4 tubes and the "best" are the 60s Mullard D getters or a Siemens. Siemens is the most linear, Mullard is just a touch sweeter but has the best tone.

For the 12AX7/12AU7 signal tubes I'm using 60s Siemens E82/83CC triple mica and I like them very much. Goes well with Zyx. There are lots of pretty good NOS 12AX7/AU7 choices.
    Agree on the NOS D getter EZ81's, lovely tube.. And a 1/10th of the cost of the KR 5U4G..
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Ayon CD transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uk Paul View Post
    Agree on the NOS D getter EZ81's, lovely tube.. And a 1/10th of the cost of the KR 5U4G..
    Yes but given the cost of the phonos the cost of tubes is pocket change

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast