How many systems -- more than one , or one is enough.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi the tenor are not for the scintilla, they are for the horn.

Scintilla will require a beefy amp going down to one ohm, likely symphonic line Kraft but not sure

To answer your question, I am getting more music and more gear than when I owned systems and tried to listen to what plays well on them

Really, and you don’t own a system...and from what it sounds like, have little intent on doing so. I’m not getting this picture, sorry.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Really, and you don’t own a system...and from what it sounds like, have little intent on doing so. I’m not getting this picture, sorry.

I do. I am speaker first guy, and I am trying to sell my current place. So I won't buy speakers till I get a new one.

With brexit and increased stamp duty (property purchase taxes), market in central London is tough to sell. But that is all non hifi related.

I know what speakers I am buying, I am clueless on analog, that will come a coupe of years later. But yea, it is much more eye opening when you don't have your own system.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think you need a nice couple to occupy this second room. This couple comes complete with a watch dog, and so you will not to have to worry about security in this room.

This couple + dog is available for immediate adoption. :)

Super thought Ron... and you’d all be more than welcome too.

Maybe you could throw the mighty Gryphons in your overnight bag and bring them along with the dawg... just not sure they’ll all fit in overhead luggage tho but surely worth a try.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Now you are making me curious :confused:
Please elaborate :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

If we are talking planars, virtually any current Maggie would be superior,imo.
Numerous dynamic speakers as well...and that’s just the beginning. Apogee Scintillas were IMHO a very flawed speaker...and not one that I would personally want in my home. Back in the day when I had a chance to own this very speaker and/or the Duettas, I ran from them...and to this day I’m sure glad that I did. YMMV.

MMVVMSI (=my mileage varies very much so indeed) :rolleyes:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I don't know the OMAs myself but after you plan a horn subwoofer anyways, how about those beauties?

http://horns.pl/en/speaker-sets/universum-3-way/

I adore their sculptural Pop Art look and love their phenomally transparent and very coherent sound.
I could imagine that their aesthetics would perfectly match the modern and timeless look of your wonderful house :cool:

I really like the look of the universums Christoph, they’d make the horns shortlist for sure. I’ll probably do a Bonzo when the time comes and certainly do the travel and check these and the Silvercores out. I have a bit to get done before then tho but I’m just going to take time to enjoy the journey.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I really like the look of the universums Christoph, they’d make the horns shortlist for sure. I’ll probably do a Bonzo when the time comes and certainly do the travel and check these and the Silvercores out. I have a bit to get done before then tho but I’m just going to take time to enjoy the journey.

I will draw you up a EU horn apogee tour. Bonzottravels.com

I had scheduled a N.Y. tour a coupe of months ago that would have covered OMA. Had to cancel last minute due to gf having hissy fits as it would have clashed with something she booked 18 months ago. So I cancelled the NY trip and won a lot of brownie points, especially as her friends told her their husbands and boyfriends would never have cancelled had they been in my place.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I do. I am speaker first guy, and I am trying to sell my current place. So I won't buy speakers till I get a new one.

With brexit and increased stamp duty (property purchase taxes), market in central London is tough to sell. But that is all non hifi related.

I know what speakers I am buying, I am clueless on analog, that will come a coupe of years later. But yea, it is much more eye opening when you don't have your own system.

Ked, I know that moving some of the property in the UK can be a trying episode. Central London went up very quickly and seems to have stalled out. Still, I'm sure a buyer will come along.
As to analog, well I'm a BIG fan of the current Linn LP12 Klimax model. Since there are several good dealers in the UK, why not avail yourself of a listen. I think I have recommended Peter Swain at Cymbiosis in Leicester before. Peter is the go to guy for all things LP12 and can give you some excellent advice on analog.
BTW, what speakers are you buying?? Whatever they are, don't they need to work in your next room..which has not been acquired yet.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, I know that moving some of the property in the UK can be a trying episode. Central London went up very quickly and seems to have stalled out. Still, I'm sure a buyer will come along.
As to analog, well I'm a BIG fan of the current Linn LP12 Klimax model. Since there are several good dealers in the UK, why not avail yourself of a listen. I think I have recommended Peter Swain at Cymbiosis in Leicester before. Peter is the go to guy for all things LP12 and can give you some excellent advice on analog.
BTW, what speakers are you buying?? Whatever they are, don't they need to work in your next room..which has not been acquired yet.

Precisely on the last point so haven't bought them yet. They are custom horns, with apogees a close second. Christoph's universums are also nice. But essentially depending on space and shape it is horn or apogee, and over time, possibly both. Apogees have an issue about real wall needing to be proper, and horns I need to make sure any downward cabinet pressure is not felt by the neighbors below. Horns are room friendly as long as they have space. Open plan kitchen is the way to go.

I visited Peter this weekend. I got to compare XV-1s, T, Lyra kleos, Etna, and the atlas all on Naim Aro. He has preset them so can be swapped in a minute. His Linn facility is amazing. I will write in more detail, but overall (and this is the third Linn I heard), I remain an idler and good DD types. Linn reminded me motor of Acustic raven and verdier sound, though different from them, and with excellent flow and midrange.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Tao

Excellent idea to do the Bonzo :D

If you decide to bonzo me, I can offer you a good listen to hORNS Universum, Odeon No. 38/2, Apogee Studio Grand, Acoustat Spectra 22 (and some more) in my home and Odeon No. 32 and Apogee Scintilla 5 minutes from my home (my Ex-Speakers)

Btw. the Original Bonzo bonzoed me three times already :b

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Tao

Excellent idea to do the Bonzo :D

If you decide to bonzo me, I can offer you a good listen to hORNS Universum, Odeon No. 38/2, Apogee Studio Grand, Acoustat Spectra 22 (and some more) in my home and Odeon No. 32 and Apogee Scintilla 5 minutes from my home (my Ex-Speakers)

Btw. the Original Bonzo bonzoed me three times already :b

Let's say Fore

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That’s very cool and also very kind Christoph... would certainly do, good you have a bit of bonzoing left in you, I have loved the tales of Bonzo and would be great to hear some of the real Bonzo highlights. Meeting the music loving people behind the systems is the real takeaway in the end.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I will draw you up a EU horn apogee tour. Bonzottravels.com

I had scheduled a N.Y. tour a coupe of months ago that would have covered OMA. Had to cancel last minute due to gf having hissy fits as it would have clashed with something she booked 18 months ago. So I cancelled the NY trip and won a lot of brownie points, especially as her friends told her their husbands and boyfriends would never have cancelled had they been in my place.

Ked, you must love your GF very very very very very much... the OMA's are OMAgoodness gracious.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
That’s very cool and also very kind Christoph... would certainly do, good you have a bit of bonzoing left in you, I have loved the tales of Bonzo and would be great to hear some of the real Bonzo highlights. Meeting the music loving people behind the systems is the real takeaway in the end.

You are very welcome :b

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Four times?
Did I miss one? :confused:

No I will try to schedule the fourth to listen to your universums. The ones here are not working with the 242ed Lampi, so yours must be awesome.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, you must love your GF very very very very very much... the OMA's are OMAgoodness gracious.

Lol I don't have a choice. She squats and dead lifts more than my body weight.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So the well worn phrase can be taken quite literally? Ie “over my dead body” as in, “(I can bench press) over my dead body (weight)” LOL
My “that’ll never happen” line was crossed when I mentioned to my GF that Sgt Pepper on 15ips tape would set me/us back $400.

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I think a minimum of 2 and preferably 3

1) Main 2-Channel Hifi System
2) Movie Room with 7-11.2 surround
3) Headphone rig for bedtime

Agree on your Big 3, although my headphone rig is too engaging to be a bedtime activity

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think a minimum of 2 and preferably 3

1) Main 2-Channel Hifi System
2) Movie Room with 7-11.2 surround
3) Headphone rig for bedtime

1 and 2 are me, the wife would never go for 3. I have a dedicated 7.1 Movie Room in the main house. it's got a '2:35-1' 120" diag screen and Sony 4k FP. I've watched 2 movies there this year......so it's under my radar. it does sound quite good with multi-channel music.....but not done that for awhile.

but no other dedicated listening-only spaces besides the barn. I have 2 'community' TV watching areas with natural light I prefer for sports watching and kibitzing. one in the family room in the house, and another upstairs in the barn where I mostly watch sports. the upstairs barn space is 42' x 14' x 9' and I could certainly have 2 separate systems up there, one at each end, and that could work. but with the 'all-in' nature of my 2-channel room I have no appetite to try and attain the whole system refinement in another system(s). but my hats off to others who have pulled it off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing