How many systems -- more than one , or one is enough.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Back in the 80s, I had 3 systems in 3 different rooms. They were all dynamic speakers. But I reckoned I was spending less time with the 2 others as 1 clearly was my favorite. So I sold all the 2, and till now, have concentrated on 1 system - tube/planar/analog based. There is still that longing for a 2nd system, perhaps a dynamic/SS/digital system, but so far it is still a dream-in-progress.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Well, I am late to the party but I will simply say congrats on an amazing design. One thing to beware though is all that glass can give room interaction headaches.

That much glass can be a challenge, acoustically and thermally. You know I know what I'm talking about ;)

But as long as one keeps the sun out via outside shutters and have inside acoustic curtains and optimally an additional acoustic ceiling, this could be an audiophile architects wet dream :cool:
I'm already deeply in love with your project :)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I once had two systems: A Wilson/Krell/ARC two channel rig and in the room next to it, my home theater with Snell HT speakers. That was in the mid 90's. I now have one. But to the OP's question, had I the inkling to do so, (and a wife that would allow it), I would put a pair of Maggie 20.x's (or whatever the latest model number is) along with Audio Research Tube Amps (or equivalent), in our family room. I STILL can't get the sound out of my head the first time I heard that level of Maggie set up properly.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I was always lucky to have a big room only for me
I always had 2 system,one main system and one vintage system,because i like a lot vintage like Quad 57 and 63,EV Sentry III,JBL,Acoustat and amp like Shindo,MC tube,ARC D79,Quad,Leak,Radford and now i have in a corner of the room Quad Corner ribbon with Redford sta 15

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Great responses so far guys..( are there no girls here???:rolleyes:..No Julie Mullins or..??:D)
Anyhow, I totally agree that with different systems, we could be enjoying different 'flavors'. As a ex pro-musician that would be VERY attractive to me, as I think music has different 'flavors'; some of which various systems might excel better at.
One could even design different systems to excel better at this or that aspect of music...if so inclined.

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I think a minimum of 2 and preferably 3

1) Main 2-Channel Hifi System
2) Movie Room with 7-11.2 surround
3) Headphone rig for bedtime

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Well, I am late to the party but I will simply say congrats on an amazing design. One thing to beware though is all that glass can give room interaction headaches.
Thanks Brad, designing for both near field dipole for the 20.7s and then a large open glazed box for larger box speakers plus a timber, brick and and stone room and courtyard for horns makes up some fun challenges for detailing up the design in the next phase.

The room with ribbons is materially much like my current Magnepan setup so I feel good about that. I’ll use an additional movable rail of curtain shears inside so I can trim the reflections and the fitout in that will be all timber so I can build in diffusion and even bass traps as part of the adjoining cooling heating tower... could turn it into a bass horn if I really lost the plot (note to self... lose the plot).

Maggie’s like most ribbons seem to be even handed on most music but what differentiates then for me is they lead you to a completely focussed listening experience because they are so involving. They also need a dedicated room because they really respond to a perfect setup approach.

It’s the Harbeths that are going into the primarily glazed space but this will also have operable curtaining as well and to be honest the reason d’être for the Harbys are they don’t descriminate much on the fine tuning but just payback with musical involvement effortlessly. They are super easy to use in a big open space and you can be with others enjoying everyday shared moments like eating together and talking and still stay connected to the music. They’ll also play back most any type of music well and are great to dance to tho the Maggie’s are pretty spesh at dance factor as well, put on anything that makes you want to move and both the Harbys and the Maggies do it. The Maggie’s take me back to my rave days tho and are intensive... great on trance and electronic. The Harbys can do music and dance just as well but differently. Both the Maggie’s and the Harbys do jazz and classical as well tho the 20.7s are just about unsurpassed at big scale classical, opera and piano music.

The Maggie’s are much more demanding of your time and attention but if I add a drop down projector screen on the back wall would make a nice setup for replaying Blu rays of concerts as well.

The horns are different again and have different strengths but working during the day with the horns on leads you to focus inwardly as well. Would be good to work and design to whereas the Maggie’s don’t let me get any work done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good questions in OP for sure.

I have two systems now and will aim for one more to come.

I’m just designing the next house now and have 3 good structured different scaled spaces designed for listening.

I’ve used the listening room ratios that Manolis from Tune Audio suggests.

A 12 x 7.5 x 3 metre open plan living room listening space for a system based around Harbeth 40.2s and a full range horn/valve setup in a console across the rear wall for everyday listening... it’s tidal and Roon based and focussed on living with music.

The second a 7.5 x 4.5 x 2.7 metre purely dedicated listening room designed as a near field and dipole pattern specifically for the Maggie 20.7s system. This is 100 per cent about being completely captured in both the experience of sound and the music.

Another 7.2 x 5.2 x 2.4 metre workspace allows for a third system yet to be specified. Possibly different horns or a restored Apogee or maybe additional night time home theatre duties with any of the above speaker types.

Wow awesome Tao, congrats. This would have been my dream space for two of my favorite rooms in EU, the big Apogees and Silvercore's big horns room that lets you listen to music in every nook and corner. This is going to be just phenomenal.

To the OP, I have always been a fan of two systems, Think ther are a must. Also three TTs, one SS phono, one valve, one OTL, SETs of different tubes, and SS of different sounds - the clean fast one like Boulder, the liquid class A like Vitus, and a good class AB like Dagostino. 4 tonearms and many carts.

Christoph has my system style covered. Pietro in Milan has 4 too, though his Yamamuras stand tall above everything else imo. He also has the Goldmund Apologue.

I really think Mike is falling behind here, he should stop tweaking and take the challenge to repeat his success on a second system

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Brad, designing for both near field dipole for the 20.7s and then a large open glazed box for larger box speakers plus a timber, brick and and stone room and courtyard for horns makes up some fun challenges for detailing up the design in the next phase.

The room with ribbons is materially much like my current Magnepan setup so I feel good about that. I’ll use an additional movable rail of curtain shears inside so I can trim the reflections and the fitout in that will be all timber so I can build in diffusion and even bass traps as part of the adjoining cooling heating tower... could turn it into a bass horn if I really lost the plot (note to self... lose the plot).

Maggie’s like most ribbons seem to be even handed on most music but what differentiates then for me is they lead you to a completely focussed listening experience because they are so involving. They also need a dedicated room because they really respond to a perfect setup approach.

It’s the Harbeths that are going into the primarily glazed space but this will also have operable curtaining as well and to be honest the reason d’être for the Harbys are they don’t descriminate much on the fine tuning but just payback with musical involvement effortlessly. They are super easy to use in a big open space and you can be with others enjoying everyday shared moments like eating together and talking and still stay connected to the music. They’ll also play back most any type of music well and are great to dance to tho the Maggie’s are pretty spesh at dance factor as well, put on anything that makes you want to move and both the Harbys and the Maggies do it. The Maggie’s take me back to my rave days tho and are intensive... great on trance and electronic. The Harbys can do music and dance just as well but differently. Both the Maggie’s and the Harbys do jazz and classical as well tho the 20.7s are just about unsurpassed at big scale classical, opera and piano music.

The Maggie’s are much more demanding of your time and attention but if I add a drop down projector screen on the back wall would make a nice setup for replaying Blu rays of concerts as well.

The horns are different again and have different strengths but working during the day with the horns on leads you to focus inwardly as well. Would be good to work and design to whereas the Maggie’s don’t let me get any work done.

You are a brother from another mother Tao :D

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That’s exactly what my mother says Jack.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wow awesome Tao, congrats. This would have been my dream space for two of my favorite rooms in EU, the big Apogees and Silvercore's big horns room that lets you listen to music in every nook and corner. This is going to be just phenomenal.

To the OP, I have always been a fan of two systems, Think ther are a must. Also three TTs, one SS phono, one valve, one OTL, SETs of different tubes, and SS of different sounds - the clean fast one like Boulder, the liquid class A like Vitus, and a good class AB like Dagostino. 4 tonearms and many carts.

Christoph has my system style covered. Pietro in Milan has 4 too, though his Yamamuras stand tall above everything else imo. He also has the Goldmund Apologue.

I really think Mike is falling behind here, he should stop tweaking and take the challenge to repeat his success on a second system
Thanks Ked, I’m leaving the horns as last ever great audio adventure and am looking forward to how that unfolds tho I would be way more than happy with Silvercores Iwatas, Yamamuras, Animas, WE13a replicas from Gip and now also including the OMAs or the OmaGawds as we call them. My mate is importing them in from the US and they are truly great horns as well. The OMA Imperiums might be beyond my imagining but the OMA minis sound fantastic and are at the more apartment friendly scale of horn ownership and worship.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Ked, I noticed that you don’t have a system up and running yet... is that correct? :(

Jeez you must be missing out on a lot of great music. BTW, I do think that your proposed Tenor 75’s were a great amp for their time, although the ones I heard all seemed to have somewhat of a short life. But they could do midrange like few others. IMHO, they would be completely wasted on Apogee Scintillas!
So many better choices out there that won’t eat an amp alive.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

I’m just designing the next house now and have 3 good structured different scaled spaces designed for listening.

. . .

The second a 7.5 x 4.5 x 2.7 metre purely dedicated listening room designed as a near field and dipole pattern specifically for the Maggie 20.7s system. This is 100 per cent about being completely captured in both the experience of sound and the music.

. . .

I think you need a nice couple to occupy this second room. This couple comes complete with a watch dog, and so you will not to have to worry about security in this room.

This couple + dog is available for immediate adoption. :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
OMG that's gorgeous!

+1!

I love the style, Tao! Congratulations on this design!

To answer the original question: It is one system only for me (with Spotify with PSB and Revel ceiling speakers in the rest of the house and the outdoor deck).

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Two systems, the stereo, and the HT (spare stereo). The HT is hand me downs from upgrades to the stereo.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, I noticed that you don’t have a system up and running yet... is that correct? :(

Jeez you must be missing out on a lot of great music. BTW, I do think that your proposed Tenor 75’s were a great amp for their time, although the ones I heard all seemed to have somewhat of a short life. But they could do midrange like few others. IMHO, they would be completely wasted on Apogee Scintillas!

Hi the tenor are not for the scintilla, they are for the horn.

Scintilla will require a beefy amp going down to one ohm, likely symphonic line Kraft but not sure

To answer your question, I am getting more music and more gear than when I owned systems and tried to listen to what plays well on them

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
IMHO, they would be completely wasted on Apogee Scintillas!

Now you are making me curious :confused:
Please elaborate :rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I’m leaving the horns as last ever great audio adventure and am looking forward to how that unfolds tho I would be way more than happy with Silvercores Iwatas, Yamamuras, Animas, WE13a replicas from Gip and now also including the OMAs or the OmaGawds as we call them. My mate is importing them in from the US and they are truly great horns as well. The OMA Imperiums might be beyond my imagining but the OMA minis sound fantastic and are at the more apartment friendly scale of horn ownership and worship.

I don't know the OMAs myself but after you plan a horn subwoofer anyways, how about those beauties?

http://horns.pl/en/speaker-sets/universum-3-way/

I adore their sculptural Pop Art look and love their phenomally transparent and very coherent sound.
I could imagine that their aesthetics would perfectly match the modern and timeless look of your wonderful house :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Now you are making me curious :confused:
Please elaborate :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

If we are talking planars, virtually any current Maggie would be superior,imo.
Numerous dynamic speakers as well...and that’s just the beginning. Apogee Scintillas were IMHO a very flawed speaker...and not one that I would personally want in my home. Back in the day when I had a chance to own this very speaker and/or the Duettas, I ran from them...and to this day I’m sure glad that I did. YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing