"MQA has been targeting the weakest players in our world, the audiophiles."

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have no views on MQA, but it’s great to hear a full blooded opinion.
I love his hackles rising at the mention of fixing masters.
Good on him.
As we say in the UK, he’s calling a spade a spade.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have no views on MQA, but it’s great to hear a full blooded opinion.
I love his hackles rising at the mention of fixing masters.
Good on him.
As we say in the UK, he’s calling a spade a spade.

I thought it was an American saying.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oscar Wilde and Charles Dickens used it first, so we’ll claim ownership this side of The Pond .

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Its not much better than the 90 Lexican processors doing what they make you hear.. Give me a Sheffield Direct any day and you have what was meant to be heard good or bad !

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
He is not alone having that opinion; many other professional audiofiles in the music industry have a similar opinion.

Marilyn Manson is not my music thing. The writer of that article made a typo there...Marylin. :b

If I buy an album (vinyl) and in the back it says; encoded with MQA, that'll be the day, and I will buy a new phono stage with a MQA decoder. ;-)

MQA is not for the weakest music lovers, the audiophiles; it's for the 2017 digital music servers and Tidal and Roon and iPhone resolution masses. It's for improving the illusion. ...Marilyn Manson, really?!!

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
and there are several remastering guys onboard. so what's that about then? guys like Ludwig and Massenburg aren't exactly slouches.

its also at AES now.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I see MQA as a utility nothing more really. I do like Lucey's point, streaming the real file will only get easier in time as information infrastructure improves. So what is the problem? Is this really a long term solution?

That it is a way to get us to willingly accept DRM is intriguing indeed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing