Koetsu

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tang. That is a very thoughtful and introspective conclusion, and it makes sense to me.

Thank you, Bruce. I have been looking for sometime for a new old stock FR-66S.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Interesting discussion. For those with the experience- as long as we are talking arms for Koetsu- what of the SME 3012R vs. say a FR64s with silver wire option. I am using the the RSP .

I have an opportunity for both locally. I doubt I'll ever get into SPU's. Comments welcome.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
? SME V is an extemely good tonearm!

I agree. Has anyone directly compared the SME 3012R (3009) to the SME V-12 (V) using the same Koetsu cartridge? Someone suggested I buy a 3012R for my system to hear it until I pointed out that it would not fit on my SME turntable because of the suspension towers. Perhaps it can be modified with a heavier, shorter counterweight.

Why did SME develop the new generation V arm if it was not better sonically than the 3009?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, one could also ask how in effect a NOS 1970s tt (original AS) can sound better than anything out there (I believe this might be David’s contention).
If a c1950s tonearm sounds better than a current model from the same company, that’s just a truism, it sounds better.
Whether it does or not, and whether the AS really is king of the hill or not...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have never compared, but from some the logic is that SME V is a highly damped arm best used for carts like colibri (indeed VDH uses it to voice his carts). While Koetsu do well with high mass undamped, like FR. Right or wrong, they are different designs and one can try to compare both with colibri and with Koetsu to verify the above.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have never compared, but from some the logic is that SME V is a highly damped arm best used for carts like colibri (indeed VDH uses it to voice his carts). While Koetsu do well with high mass undamped, like FR. Right or wrong, they are different designs and one can try to compare both with colibri and with Koetsu to verify the above.

Thank you Ked. That makes some sense. I think my two cartridges, the AirTight Supreme and the MSL Sig. Gold, were both in part developed using an SME V arm which may be why they seem to be such a good match in my system. I am still really curious to know what the engineers at SME were thinking when they developed the V arm. ARA was an opera lover, and I can not imagine that he would release an arm which did not sound natural. The earlier Koetsu wood bodies are of much different mass than the newer stone bodies which one would think were developed for modern arms of the time, but I really don't know.

The damping point could be critical and why matching the arm to the armboard/table and cartridge is important.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It’s simpler than that Ked, irrespective of which is supposedly the “best” all these arms have a “flavor” which doesn’t change from cartridge to cartridge or even from tt to tt. If one is familiar with generic Koetsu qualitiesand likes them it’s easy to understand why someone would also favor FR “S” series arms and it has nothing to do with heavy, damped, or otherwise, it’s just a flavor. There’s no black magic here or some cosmic calculation and knowledge, just experience and skills that anyone can learn.

david

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) There’s no black magic here or some cosmic calculation and knowledge, just experience and skills that anyone can learn.

david

Many audiophiles love rules and generalizations, and you are telling us it is mostly a matter of experience and skills? You are spoiling their fun!:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It’s simpler than that Ked, irrespective of which is supposedly the “best” all these arms have a “flavor” which doesn’t change from cartridge to cartridge or even from tt to tt. If one is familiar with generic Koetsu qualitiesand likes them it’s easy to understand why someone would also favor FR “S” series arms and it has nothing to do with heavy, damped, or otherwise, it’s just a flavor. There’s no black magic here or some cosmic calculation and knowledge, just experience and skills that anyone can learn.

david

David, could you describe the "flavor" of the SME IV and V versus the "flavor" of the SME 3012R? I certainly heard a difference between the 9" SME V and the 12" SME V-12 on the same table and cartridge, but I have never heard the 3012. Have you ever discovered an arm which has very little or no flavor, ie, one that is transparent? You make it sound as if with the proper experience and skills, it is all about matching up the flavor of the tonearm to the flavor of the cartridge to get the sound one prefers.

Do all components have a flavor, or do some actually have very little sound of there own? I suppose that in itself is a kind of flavor. I had presumed that the AS2000 is not flavored, imparting nothing to the sound by providing an extremely transparent platform for the arm and cartridge.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, could you describe the "flavor" of the SME IV and V versus the "flavor" of the SME 3012R? I certainly heard a difference between the 9" SME V and the 12" SME V-12 on the same table and cartridge, but I have never heard the 3012. Have you ever discovered an arm which has very little or no flavor, ie, one that is transparent? You make it sound as if with the proper experience and skills, it is all about matching up the flavor of the tonearm to the flavor of the cartridge to get the sound one prefers.

Do all components have a flavor, or do some actually have very little sound of there own? I suppose that in itself is a kind of flavor. I had presumed that the AS2000 is not flavored, imparting nothing to the sound by providing an extremely transparent platform for the arm and cartridge.

Everything has a flavor Peter the trick is finding components with the least amount of noticeable character that get out of the way of the main event, i.e. the recording. That's what the AS does, it's a foundation for the medium you'll be surprised how much information is hidden in the grooves of a standard lp. A tool like the AS and 3012 not only get out of the way but also help to bring out what's in those recordings. The SME 3012-r is very different from the other SME arms starting with core design it's as far as you can get from the IV & V. I know this will upset some but it's how it is, the 3012-r is like Fiji mineral water and the IV/V is Pepsi. They were designed when the tt trend was light belt drives and mostly suspended and what they have in common is shitty bass. They ALL lack extension and many are susceptible to all kinds of feedback and mudding affecting everything else too, the IV & V were designed with these tables in mind that's why I think the bass quality is so artificial and strangely with those arms.

By skill I meant arm/cartridge setup. The only way to get it is to play around and it doesn't have to be expensive carts, buy a lot of used ones for a couple of hundred bucks and go at it. All you need is a protractor, maybe a SHURE scale and your ears. The same goes for tonearms play around with a few that's where the experience comes from and you'll be able to tell what's going on in your vinyl setup. The 3012-R is a gift and will cut your experience time if you trust my input, many here and on Myles's site have tried the 3012-r and it's become their main tonearm.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
. A tool like the AS and 3012 not only get out of the way but also help to bring out what's in those recordings. The SME 3012-r is very different from the other SME arms starting with core design it's as far as you can get from the IV & V. I know this will upset some but it's how it is, the 3012-r is like Fiji mineral water and the IV/V is Pepsi...They ALL lack extension and many are susceptible to all kinds of feedback and mudding affecting everything else too..

This sounds like my kind of arm. Does this mineral water gives better extension on both ends than the ortofon 297 Khun David.

Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This sounds like my kind of arm. Does this mineral water gives better extension on both ends than the ortofon 297 Khun David.

Kind regards,
Tang

Quite a bit and let’s the music breath too. In comparison is like fresh clean mountain air to a well air conditioned room.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Quite a bit and let’s the music breath too. In comparison is like fresh clean mountain air to a well air conditioned room.

david

You have got to go to Iceland for the fresh cold water fall drink and air David. A week there lengthened my life a year.
The AS with this 3012 should be my Iceland then.

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You have got to go to Iceland for the fresh cold water fall drink and air David. A week there lengthened my life a year.
The AS with this 3012 should be my Iceland then.

Tang

As magnificent as the fjords there!

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My Straingauge is a bit like a trip to the Health Farm. All v proper and well behaved, getting nice and slim, no full fat food.
David, any thoughts on the SAEC 506 as an alternative to the 3012?
I ask because I’d never heard of it before until Gian’s chat re his Torque Marsala idler, but I love what I’m seeing re this arm. It seems to have been a major competitor to SME in the 70s, and some opinion states it was far superior.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The SME 3012-r is very different from the other SME arms starting with core design it's as far as you can get from the IV & V. I know this will upset some but it's how it is, the 3012-r is like Fiji mineral water and the IV/V is Pepsi. (...)

David,

Why not Cristal Champagne in place of Pepsi? Are you keeping the champagne for a digital analogy? :)

In a proper system the SME V has a master tape tonal balance - it was my feeling when I had it in the SME30. People valuating mostly its resonance free character will be happy to accept its bass performance, an area where for example a Graham 2.2 was more detailed.

I moved away from the SME V mostly because it does not allow for azimuth adjustment, and my cartridges needed some small adjustment for best performance. Surely SME advise was to ask for an exchange the cartridge ...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Everything has a flavor Peter the trick is finding components with the least amount of noticeable character that get out of the way of the main event, i.e. the recording. That's what the AS does, it's a foundation for the medium you'll be surprised how much information is hidden in the grooves of a standard lp. A tool like the AS and 3012 not only get out of the way but also help to bring out what's in those recordings. The SME 3012-r is very different from the other SME arms starting with core design it's as far as you can get from the IV & V. I know this will upset some but it's how it is, the 3012-r is like Fiji mineral water and the IV/V is Pepsi. They were designed when the tt trend was light belt drives and mostly suspended and what they have in common is shitty bass. They ALL lack extension and many are susceptible to all kinds of feedback and mudding affecting everything else too, the IV & V were designed with these tables in mind that's why I think the bass quality is so artificial and strangely with those arms.

By skill I meant arm/cartridge setup. The only way to get it is to play around and it doesn't have to be expensive carts, buy a lot of used ones for a couple of hundred bucks and go at it. All you need is a protractor, maybe a SHURE scale and your ears. The same goes for tonearms play around with a few that's where the experience comes from and you'll be able to tell what's going on in your vinyl setup. The 3012-R is a gift and will cut your experience time if you trust my input, many here and on Myles's site have tried the 3012-r and it's become their main tonearm.

david

Love Pepsi and shitty bass!!!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My Straingauge is a bit like a trip to the Health Farm. All v proper and well behaved, getting nice and slim, no full fat food.
David, any thoughts on the SAEC 506 as an alternative to the 3012?
I ask because I’d never heard of it before until Gian’s chat re his Torque Marsala idler, but I love what I’m seeing re this arm. It seems to have been a major competitor to SME in the 70s, and some opinion states it was far superior.
They’re pretty good Marc but compared to the 3102, how many SAECs do you want :b?

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing