Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the pics, Gian.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That is the general understanding as well as my own. To my knowledge I've yet to see that confirmed or denied. The theory is that the different models sound different because of the differing densities of the bodies given the same innards.
Hmmm. Jade is the most dense of the stone bodies, I wonder what would happen if ......... :D

Which would lead me to question when are they bringing out the ultimate body...a diamond body? Can we say 200 carats or more? Price...who cares, LOL.
While I do agree that the bodies of these cartridges are some of the nicest looking around, I do question the pricing structure by the US distributor ( is it Music Direct??) particularly considering what these models can be sourced for in Japan!
( Although this is also true for so many other Japanese cartridges as well...the My Sonic Labs being another example! In their case, I believe the distribution was being handled in the past by AJ Conti, now upon his death, it is being taken over by Music Direct ( they are apparently contemplating a new pricing structure for the line; let's hope they wake up and get reality, LOL).

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Totally hearsay, but I remember on another forum (Agon, I think) a poster claiming that there were two types of platinum magnets used by Koetsu, and that the top stone models (e.g. Coralstone, Blue Lace) used a different type (Type "II"). Possible, I suppose, given that Koetsu does not divulge much technical information. Among the stone models I have alnico Onyx, platinum (possible Type I) Onyx, and Platinum (possible type II) Coralstone; there are sonic differences, but they are relatively subtle/nuanced (the biggest difference is that the alnico has 2x the output level). The sonic differences could be as much from the stones as the magnets; even same-stone examples can have differences in wall thickness and mass. I will say that the Coralstone is my favorite overall, but not by a huge amount.

The large pricing jump for the top Coralstone/Blue Lace seems to be mostly an artifact of the US distributors (perhaps to further inflate sense of "prestige"). Price differentials for the various stone models appears to be much reduced in Japan/Asia.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Italian distributor told me that Koetsu has problem to find stone for Coralstone and blue lace and are doing very few every year.
Could be this is the reason of higher price than other stones cartridges

Reactions: Yannan

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Which would lead me to question when are they bringing out the ultimate body...a diamond body? Can we say 200 carats or more? Price...who cares, LOL.

a diamond cut to the size of a koetsu cart body would not be that expensive as you would not be using a gem quality "clear" D diamond....;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The large pricing jump for the top Coralstone/Blue Lace seems to be mostly an artifact of the US distributors (perhaps to further inflate sense of "prestige"). Price differentials for the various stone models appears to be much reduced in Japan/Asia.

In the mid 2000s, the retail price of Koetsu was mostly based on Acoustic Sounds. They set prices of the Blue Lace at $20k, Tiger Eye at $13k, and the Coralstone at $15k, all with diamond cantilevers. In S.E. Asia, we would be able to give big discounts off those SRPs. Over the past few years, Koetsu Japan seemed to have gone the way of full blast world wide marketing, with so many sellers all over, including eBay, where most sellers are from Japan and prices are lower than those of AS, and some even furnish a very hearty specs sheet. And just now I checked, the most expensive model in AS is not the Blue Lace anymore, it is the Rhodonite Platinum Diamond at $18,490 while the Blue Lace Platinum is $14,995.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Urushi Tsugaru (Black):

ar2.JPG

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Certificate of Rebuild signed by Fumihiko Sugano.

broResCert.JPG

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Was this mine Phil? I wish I didn't have to sell it at that time.

No, Jack. Yours was this:

Urushi Wajima (Gold) It was pretty and was had an aromatic smell). :)

ur.JPG

uru.jpg

That went to Sam with a Jade trade, and then it went to the late Atty. Jun with that famous line 'Pay the man' after first laying eyes on the box with the Wajima Urushi. :D

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen in the market there are some seller that sell the Koetsu rebuild like new at one price list lower than normal seller

Will be true?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I listen in the market there are some seller that sell the Koetsu rebuild like new at one price list lower than normal seller

Will be true?

With all the e-commerce going now these days, we can never tell which is which. A rebuilt Koetsu is technically new inside except for the body. Mostly it is in the real net stores like Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct or Needle Doctor which will be more reliable, and provide warranties as sell.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Present day Black:

1.16.jpg

Present day Rosewood Standard:

ar5.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With all the e-commerce going now these days, we can never tell which is which. A rebuilt Koetsu is technically new inside except for the body. Mostly it is in the real net stores like Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct or Needle Doctor which will be more reliable, and provide warranties as sell.

Users of various carts including koetsu and Lyra swear by sound smith rebuilds

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A friend of mine who bought a Coralstone Platinum from me, loved it so much that he searched for a real coralstone stone on ebay and actually bought it.

1coralrock.JPG 100_2727.JPG

Not that contented, he went on to purchase a Tiger Eye stone.

100_2731.JPG

Before I knew it, he proceeded to buy so many other rare stones and when I visited him one day, found out that he has built a 20' long glass cabinet, with 3 shelves, completely full of stones and he told me that he is on hiatus as far as collecting records is concerned as he is now into stone collecting. I then realized I created a 'stone-collecting' monster, from a single Coralstone sale. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing