jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lovely eye candies.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
my first Koetsu ever, Urushi Tsugaru...
im now sweating about getting me a Blue lace plat'... or Coralstone... cant decide...

AVI_3555.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Thank you Christian and Phil! happy to be here :)

Dear rockitman: i am thinking about it, but the admission price to go Dimond on those Stones is WAY over my head im afraid, i was buying like crazy lately... and need to get my properties straight.
its Pricey as is to go full blown Koetsu stone, so... i don't know... i'm a bit lost.... :confused:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Koetsu Blue Lace Diamond Cantilever (Arm for it is FR-66s)

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Koetsu Jade Diamond Cantilever

Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum

Reactions: dan31

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Hi, I understand that you recommended one of my local London audiophiles, Howard, the FR 66s with Arche headshell and titanium screws for his Koetsu Jade with diamond cantilever. That was easily the best Koetsu, and as good as any cart, that I heard (the second best was on FR 64s). As a background, I haven't heard any other Koetsu I have heard, in a non-FR set up (Ikeda, Kuzma 4p, SME, Schroeder CB, Koestsu arm). With FR 66s it sounds fantastic in his set up.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Syntax,

What are the sonic differences between the standard and the rhodium Arche shell?

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Wow! Syntax's Blue Lace is the most beautiful Koetsu I've ever seen.

Might consider a diamond cantilever rebuild on my Jade this year, since it's the oldest in hours in my collection. Is there any reason to prefer one stone over another for the diamond cantilever upgrade?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Wow! Syntax's Blue Lace is the most beautiful Koetsu I've ever seen.

Might consider a diamond cantilever rebuild on my Jade this year, since it's the oldest in hours in my collection. Is there any reason to prefer one stone over another for the diamond cantilever upgrade?

The diamond cantilever takes a Koetsu (regardless of stone material) to a new level above and beyond any stone material with a boron cantilever.

Reactions: jadis

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
The rhodium Headshell has an increased energy transfer, it is the fastest from the bunch with guiding the tracking energy into the Arm.

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Syntax,

Sorry, for being "a bit late" with my question

Are you using some sort of “headshell damping mat” or “cartridge isolator” with your “Arche” ?

I’m currently experimenting with this Dereneville mat with one of my latest headshell, made of silica glass quartz and the ONYX .
(My findings are still rather inconclusive, but I tend to use the headshell naked.)

Thanks & Regards

Urs

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
The rhodium Headshell has an increased energy transfer, it is the fastest from the bunch with guiding the tracking energy into the Arm.

I just got a silver Arche headshell and mounted my Blue Lace Platinum on it (also on an FR66s) and it is the best headshell I've tried so far with this cart.

Wrt the rhodium version, my understanding is this is just a plating and wondering how that would change the sonics of this headshell - have you compared the rhodium directly with the silver version? Apparently they don't make the rhodium version anymore - how long ago did you get yours (and where)?

Regarding the Arche, I'm finding more resolution and liveliness - high frequencies in particular are extended and very naturally rendered. One comment on the design is that conflating overhang with azimuth is not a great choice imo - you have to be careful when setting azimuth that you don't change overhang. I ended up putting a small strip of masking tape around the collar in order to keep the overhang setting from changing while setting azimuth and this worked well.

Cheers, Joe

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
After a decade or so of being the Philippine distributor of Koetsu, I got to finally meet my principal South East Asia Distributor in Singapore, whom I regard as the foremost expert of anything Koetsu. Melvin Ang met with founder of Koetsu around 1992 and began the regional distributor of Koetsu in the late 90s. He knew the 'old man' Sugano personally in his work stint in Japan as he was connected with some 'underground' players of audio there. He told me Sugano-san has 2 sons, and the younger one was into the 'stone' craft and hence they produced a lot of the stone body models. The mystique of Koetsu is as old as the grand old man himself, who would be wary about answering very technical questions from Melvin as he considers them his trade and manufacturing secrets. In that trip, I brought home a small gift for myself - Tsugaru Urushi. :)

123.jpg 124.jpg

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Been in love with koetsu all my life. My late father had original rosewood and onyx long bodied, then onyx signature whilst I have moved up the range from black to rosewood, Urishi black and eventually a blue lace which my ex wife sold without my consent.
Currently using avid Acutus Reference sp, triplanar UVIISE and koetsu wajima. When funds permit I’d like another blue lace.
Never been tempted by other makes nor am likely to.

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Been in love with koetsu all my life. My late father had original rosewood and onyx long bodied, then onyx signature whilst I have moved up the range from black to rosewood, Urishi black and eventually a blue lace which my ex wife sold without my consent.
Currently using avid Acutus Reference sp, triplanar UVIISE and koetsu wajima. When funds permit I’d like another blue lace.
Never been tempted by other makes nor am likely to.

I echo your words exactly, regarding not being tempted by other makes ever since I got a Koetsu Black. Am not there yet in the level of owning a Blue Lace for my wife to sell without my knowledge. She doesn't even know what is what inside my listening room. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
FIrst touchdown. More beautiful than I though. Beautiful sound too.

P_20190312_215121_1.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Philip

you're always a wealth of information. Is that the Koetsu I heard at your house last year?

Steve, this is a new one. I just got it last Saturday in Singapore and installed it just moments ago. The one you heard was a Rose Wood signature. This is a Urushi Tsugaru.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing