Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Koetsu

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Dear Joe,

Thank you very much for posting here!

Would you please give us an analysis of the sound of the RSP versus the Blue Lace?

How should one decide between these two cartridges?

Have you ever thrown a Coralstone into the mix?

Is the FR-66S your very favorite tonearm for Koetsu cartridges? What is your favourite current production tonearm for Koetsu cartridges?

Thank you!
    Hi Ron - unfortunately my RSP has been out at Soundsmith for re-tipping as I accidentally broke off the tip when unmounting the cartridge. In fact, that was my excuse for acquiring the Blue Lace

And I’ve only had the FR66s a short time so never got the chance to try the RSP with this arm.

My 14 weeks is almost up so I can report back after I get the RSP back.

Cheers, Joe
    Joe Hakim
    President & CEO

Eigen Audio
    Northern California Bay Area dealer for Von Schweikert Audio, MasterBuilt Audio Cables, Critical Mass Systems, and Aurender

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Great! Thank you, Joe.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Dear KOETSU Connoisseurs,

Due to some fancy "Analogous Fate " I currently own two KOETSU Platinum cartridges : a Rosewood Signature Platinum, which plays exceedingly nice in my setup, and since a few days an ONYX Platinum.
    While the RSP was a real “step-change" in all aspects of sound & presentation, I’m only partly happy with the ONYX: Mind you, it plays very nice , BUT it’s just not this "additional quantum leap” over the RSP that I expected…but it does have a somewhat tighter bass, but lacks this "KOETSU Magic" in the midrange and heights. Voices I prefer with the RSP.
    Are my expectation simply too much – or this there a mismatch in my system ?

TT: Thorens TD 520 + SME 3012R; Air Tight SUT, Audio Note Tube phono-Pre
    (Please note: the RSP sounds just marvelous – hence the mismatch would simply be: the ONYX won’t fit…)

Question One: Are the two "generators" identical in electrical +mechanical terms ? That is, do the two cartridges differ only in the body material - wood vs. stone ? My guess is YES, because the specs in the manual are the same. Despite searching at various KOETSU sites I did not find anything more specific.

Question Two : Currently I am running the RSP on a Thomas Schick Graphite Headshell - I like it very much; the ONYX does not play so convincingly on the "graphite"; I'm looking for an improvement.
    I've got this funny feeling that "stone used twice" is not ideal; a mix of wood & stone may be better ??

Which headshells do you guys use ? Who knows any good + proven - that means personally tested !! - alternatives ?
    (I'm aware, in some forums the JELCO Rosewood (identical to the KOETSU model) and a TITAN headshell are highly praised for the ONYX)

Thanks for your reply &

Regards

Urs

PS: More infos are in my profile

Quote Originally Posted by UEM View Post
    Dear KOETSU Connoisseurs,

Due to some fancy "Analogous Fate " I currently own two KOETSU Platinum cartridges : a Rosewood Signature Platinum, which plays exceedingly nice in my setup, and since a few days an ONYX Platinum.
    While the RSP was a real “step-change" in all aspects of sound & presentation, I’m only partly happy with the ONYX: Mind you, it plays very nice , BUT it’s just not this "additional quantum leap” over the RSP that I expected…but it does have a somewhat tighter bass, but lacks this "KOETSU Magic" in the midrange and heights. Voices I prefer with the RSP.
    Are my expectation simply too much – or this there a mismatch in my system ?
    I personally would expect that kind of difference between the 2 platinum models. I feel that the 'wood' would have more of the classic Koetsu midrange magic (specially on voices that you mentioned) than the stones although the stones will have the frequency extension on both ends.
    Phil

Question One: Are the two "generators" identical in electrical +mechanical terms ? That is, do the two cartridges differ only in the body material - wood vs. stone ? My guess is YES, because the specs in the manual are the same. Despite searching at various KOETSU sites I did not find anything more specific.
    As far as I know, they are the same inside.
    Phil

Man, not my experience at all. For me the Onyx gives up nothing in midrange to the Rosewood, and has better bass. Is this a new (or newly rebuilt) Onyx? It really needs 30-40 hours to settle in. I've gotten the same amazing Koetsu midrange from Onyx on both a Graham Phantom Supreme and Fidelity Research FR64fx (various headshells: FR aluminum, Ortofon urushi wood, old Koetsu wood/metal/??? hybrid). Maybe my RSP isn't the norm -- it's an early 2000s build.

Thank you guys

It looks indeed like finding the “right environment” for the ONYX, such as the most suitable headshell.
    As I assume that the electrical parts are identical, my SUT etc. should be OK for the ONYX – they certainly are for the Rosewood !

I did read Shakti’s extensive testing with headshells, hence I’m working also along these lines.
    I just found in my array of “HiFi goodies” - guess what ! - This JELCO Rosewood HS that reportedly is similar to the KOETSU headshell; furthermore I’m working to get a “snip” of the Dereneville headshell mat. (BTW: Horrible price of 80.- Euros for 2 cm of very thin material – must be the most expensive HIFI gadget in Euro per kg..!! )

Furthermore I found Infos of this “TechDAS Headshell TDHS-01TI”; since I could NOT find a price, I guess it’s equally prohibitively expensive…but to properly mount a “jewel” like an Onyx ??
    (The Yamamoto HS seem to have only mounting holes, rather than slots)

Well, the “chase is on”..!!

Regards

Urs

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    Man, not my experience at all. For me the Onyx gives up nothing in midrange to the Rosewood, and has better bass. Is this a new (or newly rebuilt) Onyx? It really needs 30-40 hours to settle in. I've gotten the same amazing Koetsu midrange from Onyx on both a Graham Phantom Supreme and Fidelity Research FR64fx (various headshells: FR aluminum, Ortofon urushi wood, old Koetsu wood/metal/??? hybrid). Maybe my RSP isn't the norm -- it's an early 2000s build.
    Hi, what's the difference with koetsu on Graham vs FR?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you guys

It looks indeed like finding the “right environment” for the ONYX, such as the most suitable headshell.
    As I assume that the electrical parts are identical, my SUT etc. should be OK for the ONYX – they certainly are for the Rosewood !

I did read Shakti’s extensive testing with headshells, hence I’m working also along these lines.
    I just found in my array of “HiFi goodies” - guess what ! - This JELCO Rosewood HS that reportedly is similar to the KOETSU headshell; furthermore I’m working to get a “snip” of the Dereneville headshell mat. (BTW: Horrible price of 80.- Euros for 2 cm of very thin material – must be the most expensive HIFI gadget in Euro per kg..!! )

Furthermore I found Infos of this “TechDAS Headshell TDHS-01TI”; since I could NOT find a price, I guess it’s equally prohibitively expensive…but to properly mount a “jewel” like an Onyx ??
    (The Yamamoto HS seem to have only mounting holes, rather than slots)

Well, the “chase is on”..!!

Regards

Urs
    Shakti said the techdas headshell is around 2500 dollars
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Bonzo,
    thanks

yes, I just found the same figure - "off the list"

Urs

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast