Rockport Arrakis (Latest) - Save $55,000, Worldwide Shipping

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

figure 'street price' on a new set is 30% plus off retail.....maybe more; what someone will actually pay. so that sets the value limit for used. but the listed value has to be kept high to protect the brand.

but this is likely the same set that has been for sale for at least 6+ months by owner.

someone will end up with these for a little over $100k when all is said and done......maybe up to $125k shipped. and that will be a great value for a super speaker system.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . someone will end up with these for a little over $100k when all is said and done......maybe up to $125k shipped. and that will be a great value for a super speaker system.

+1!

LL21: It is time to step up!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, for this price would you buy them, or the new Lyra model?

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

Given relative footprint...and ability to serve smaller rooms.....am thinking Lyra.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
BMCG, unfortunately I can’t go as far as “thinking”, just “daydreaming”.
I always find one thing disappointing about these designs.
Everything is better generation to generation.
Except sensitivity.
Would it kill Andy to create a super speaker with sensitivity in the late 90s? So one could genuinely use SET amps with it?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Rockport’s latest cabinet and cone technology and a more reasonable size that would work in more listening rooms. I would say advantage Lyra.

Ken

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
BMCG, unfortunately I can’t go as far as “thinking”, just “daydreaming”.
I always find one thing disappointing about these designs.
Everything is better generation to generation.
Except sensitivity.
Would it kill Andy to create a super speaker with sensitivity in the late 90s? So one could genuinely use SET amps with it?

Get into the Tidal diamond range speakers (La Assoluta and Akira) where you can have it all: top notch performance and high efficiency, although not hornlike efficiency. Using set amps with my LA's.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Maybe for your third system you can get into horns, AC?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Unless I was limited to a small room which would squelch the Arrakis, I would take the Arrakis. I love the two Altairs inverted M-T-M design which, I think, affords a scale and grandeur which, I believe, only that speaker height can create.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Maybe for your third system you can get into horns, AC?

Very, very unlikely, Kedar, because I have never heard a horn loudspeaker that could convince me from top to bottom. So I suppose I am not a 'horn guy'.

The Rockport Lyra on the other hand might be a speaker that could really convince me. However, I want to be able to play my loudspeakers with my Kondo set amps. Likely that is not possible with the Lyra.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unless I was limited to a small room which would squelch the Arrakis, I would take the Arrakis. I love the two Altairs inverted M-T-M design which, I think, affords a scale and grandeur which, I believe, only that speaker height can create.

I haven't heard Arrakis, but I heard the discontinued, then retail 30k USD grand mira 2 (very different from the grand mira or mira 2).

I loved it, and then realized it was the only other model in the Rockport line up that was dappolito and MTM. Side firing and front firing woofers, it did things like many planars but with more weight, though depending on room one might have to supplement lower section with woofers. Like you mention, height it is important and it was 7 ft, and the side and front firing woofers made it appear faster than the zzzz ported cones.

I never liked any of the other Rockport models, having heard Aviors with different amps, (the altairs only at Munich with absolare each year)

So, I just put this out there for Rockport fans, or any cone fans, and for those who can't go anywhere near the arrakis, to keep a watch out for an used grand mira 2, at 10k to 15k it could be a bargain over some of the other cones. It is tall at 7 feet, slim, and the distance to side walls matters because of side firing woofers. If you see an used one fly over to check it out if you have the space. It is 90db, I heard it with a trilogy integrated and surely that can be improved.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very, very unlikely, Kedar, because I have never heard a horn loudspeaker that could convince me from top to bottom. So I suppose I am not a 'horn guy'.

That's coz extremely few exist. Custom ones can do it.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I haven't heard Arrakis, but I heard the discontinued, then retail 30k USD grand mira 2 (very different from the grand mira or mira 2).

I loved it, and then realized it was the only other model in the Rockport line up that was dappolito and MTM. Side firing and front firing woofers, it did things like many planars but with more weight, though depending on room one might have to supplement lower section with woofers. Like you mention, height it is important and it was 7 ft, and the side and front firing woofers made it appear faster than the zzzz ported cones.

I never liked any of the other Rockport models, having heard Aviors with different amps, (the altairs only at Munich with absolare each year)

So, I just put this out there for Rockport fans, or any cone fans, and for those who can't go anywhere near the arrakis, to keep a watch out for an used grand mira 2, at 10k to 15k it could be a bargain over some of the other cones. It is tall at 7 feet, slim, and the distance to side walls matters because of side firing woofers. If you see an used one fly over to check it out if you have the space. It is 90db, I heard it with a trilogy integrated and surely that can be improved.

So you're saying to your ears the ~8 year old $30K Grand Mira bettered the newer tech and 3x price ~$100K Altairs? That's a pretty damning statement to throw out...

I've heard the Arrakis many times and the Aviors. Both have a slight darkness to their presentation (not in a bad way) and are ruthlessly revealing. Excellent speakers.

On a different note - I've never heard horns that I truly liked, even more so at given price points. Part, I'm sure is due to room size requirements which many (most?) don't have to accommodate.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So you're saying to your ears the ~8 year old $30K Grand Mira bettered the newer tech and 3x price ~$100K Altairs? That's a pretty damning statement to throw out...

I've heard the Arrakis many times and the Aviors. Both have a slight darkness to their presentation (not in a bad way) and are ruthlessly revealing. Excellent speakers.

On a different note - I've never heard horns that I truly liked, even more so at given price points. Part, I'm sure is due to room size requirements which many (most?) don't have to accommodate.

No. To start with, it is the Grand Mira II, which I said is different from the Grand Mira and the Mira II. I caveated that Altairs is only Munich demo. But yes, I prefer the 7ft, Dappolito, MTM design to normal cones. Never heard the Arrakis unfortunately. And I am suggesting those looking for bargains should check them out when they come on the used market.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Today is not that day for me. But that day will come.

Til then, having heard 3 Rockports (incl Altair 2 and Arrakis) and enjoyed them each tremendously, I can say based on on those [limited] experiences, the Arrakis has an effortless scale that took my breath away despite having heard multiple big Wilsons, Focals and i can think of a few others for years (and having a big Wilson and sub at home). The only other speaker i have heard that challenges and i suspect can do even bigger effortless scale is the Genesis 1. But the footprint difference between those two makes the Arrakis seem downright economic by comparison. 2' x 3' footprint and 9 inches taller than a big Wilson. The Genesis panels are well over 7' tall and 4 feet wide each with a still not insignificant thickness despite being a panel...not to mention the 2 over 7' tall woofer towers...and other boxes that come with the speakers.

I really do like that speaker a lot. Great to see people are keeping an eye out for it! Thanks, Ron, for thinking of me. I will buy those someday.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Further on the Rockports...been a fan since Goodwins put the Altairs center stage....loved them.

Challenging to find them in the UK though...

Audiocrack...you are not helpful in suggesting the TIDAL Akira is a UK available alternative.....

and so I do not unintentionally insult....

The unhelpful part relates to ....yes I like the Akira (well except for the £200k part)....as I can't quite work out how to get the trouble and strife approval.

Man maths anyone?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Further on the Rockports...been a fan since Goodwins put the Altairs center stage....loved them.

Challenging to find them in the UK though...

Audiocrack...you are not helpful in suggesting the TIDAL Akira is a UK available alternative.....

and so I do not unintentionally insult....

The unhelpful part relates to ....yes I like the Akira (well except for the £200k part)....as I can't quite work out how to get the trouble and strife approval.

Man maths anyone?

Ojee .... and my intentions were so good ...but I understand ... all these 'damn' prices ... however, the Akira's are so good that imho they not only deserve your liking but also your (unconditional?) love ... so good luck with the maths and getting approval ... who knows?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m not really in the market at any of these prices.
I just don’t understand why in this day and age, it’s not possible to create a cost no object speaker with high efficiency.
90dB just precludes enough tube amps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’m not really in the market at any of these prices.
I just don’t understand why in this day and age, it’s not possible to create a cost no object speaker with high efficiency.
90dB just precludes enough tube amps.

Wasn't that new Goebbel speaker that way?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing